New Greenville developments

gs3

Where is this park?

It's right near the corner of Augusta and Haynie street. If heading south on Main street, it's about 3 blocks past the Drive Stadium if you go left at the intersection of Pendleton and August. There's that tall building... I think it's a retirement home or something, right before it.

It doesn't show up on Google street view, it's newer than that, but it's there, and it's going up.

Since the Chamber of Commerce was partially involved in NEXT, I really hope to see a walk / bridge across the Reedy connecting the two. I've yet to understand how the Chamber sits right on the Reedy, right by the Greenway, but yet has failed to connect to the Greenway via steps down the hill and a small bridge across the Reedy. Seems like such a no-brainer that the Chamber would want to be connected to one of Greenville's best assets. Maybe the new NEXT building will spur this connection.

I wish it were laid out on the site a little differently, but it will be a welcome addition.

It is laid out on the site the way it is because they are incorporating the exsisting building. IF this was new it would have to be pulled up to the side walk. The Haynie Sirrine Master Plan and included Architecural Standards unlike the other master plans was incorporated into the zoning ordinance and is not a mear guideline but THE LAW when it comes to developing in that area.

Since the Chamber of Commerce was partially involved in NEXT, I really hope to see a walk / bridge across the Reedy connecting the two. I've yet to understand how the Chamber sits right on the Reedy, right by the Greenway, but yet has failed to connect to the Greenway via steps down the hill and a small bridge across the Reedy. Seems like such a no-brainer that the Chamber would want to be connected to one of Greenville's best assets. Maybe the new NEXT building will spur this connection.

There is already a bridge from this site to the Chamber of Commerce, it is Cleveland Street which has side walks for pedestrians (though narrow). I do think it would be nice to see some type of incorporations to the park below I do think think you will see it on this side of Cleveland Street becuase that portion of the park is the Urban Forest Renewal Project or what ever it is called. There is already a link to the park from Cleveland just past the bridge and across the street from the Chamber offices, not really a long walk from this project at all.

That's extremely condescending and offensive. I moved here from LA a year and a half ago. I'm very familiar with New Urbanism and TND's. You act as if these developers are doing this out of some sort of benevolence, and that's just what they bank on; the fact that they can dupe people into paying exorbitant amounts of money for a tiny house on a tiny piece of land as long as they market it as New Urbanism or TND. As I stated previously the word Traditional is a misnomer, as it implys that these developments harken back to neighborhoods of yore; truth be told, it's a ruse because neighborhoods in the 20's, 30's, 40's 50's and so one were all built on lots never smaller then 1/4 to 1/2 acre, just look around at older neighborhoods and see for yourself. As far as living in a house with no yard, go for it; that's called freedom of choice, your paradise, not mine. As I've stated previously to you in a similar thread I love my 1/2 acre so my daughter can play and we can grow a garden and grow our own veggies (very green of my, btw ;) ), thing is my choice is as valid as yours, but you don't seem to respect that. I respect your right to pay whatever you want for whatever size house on whatever size lot you choose; I just would appreciate the same.

TND neighborhoods in larger cities are frequently built on lots smaller than 1/2 acre. IMO and TND should set 1/2 acre lots as a maximum lot size.

Sorry guys, but I don't care for this design at all. :sick:

I am all for the plan to have the creative space and the residential units, and am glad to see it occurring at this intersection. But I think they could have done a much better job with the architecture on this one. Frankly, I expect more from Bob Hughes. :ermm:

I agree. I want to see the site plan for this one because based on the rendering it looks to be entirely too auto-oriented. It sort of reminds me of Bates House at USC except with comparatively better architecture. It just looks like it will be a tall building surrounded by parking. This has the potential of being a good example of why density for the sake of density is not always a good thing. As always I will withhold my final judgment until I get some more information. This has a lot of potential to be a good thing. You'll definitely have some prime views from up there, and its a good location for something of this scale.

I agree. I want to see the site plan for this one because based on the rendering it looks to be entirely too auto-oriented. It sort of reminds me of Bates House at USC except with comparatively better architecture. It just looks like it will be a tall building surrounded by parking. This has the potential of being a good example of why density for the sake of density is not always a good thing. As always I will withhold my final judgment until I get some more information. This has a lot of potential to be a good thing. You'll definitely have some prime views from up there, and its a good location for something of this scale.

Agreed. And the more I look at this rendering, the worse the architecture looks. This is an important spot, and should be reserved for a high quality development, with a high visual appeal. This rendering does not inspire a high visual appeal at all. This type of devlopment should not remind people of a jail addition or a parking garage. <_<

I got to say, I like the aesthetic. It's sleek. It's different to what you see normally going up. I think it fits with a "Technology" based incubator business. Also, I'd rather see something realistic getting built than holding out for an award winner that looks good on paper but is too costly to construct.

I personally think it's kinda cool looking, but, in any case, I certainly don't agree with this:

...and should be reserved for a high quality development, with a high visual appeal.

I think it looks both high quality and has high visual appeal. Also hope it spurs some more development in this area. The poor Brio is kind of marooned.

Edited by DT-Gville

I think most of us will have varying opinions about modern architecture. I think it can be ok if done right, though I am not usually a fan of it. The problem I have is that I think- based on the renderings above- that this is nto being done right. The modern style can work so long as the building is situated appropriately within its site.

again, remember, this is an addition to an exsisitng build, they are kina limited on where it can be built because there is an exsisting building on site that is not being torn down. Im not sure how you would reorientate the exsisting building. You have constraints to work with plus I am sure they wanted to maximize the view.

again, remember, this is an addition to an exsisitng build, they are kina limited on where it can be built because there is an exsisting building on site that is not being torn down. Im not sure how you would reorientate the exsisting building. You have constraints to work with plus I am sure they wanted to maximize the view.

The fact that they are keeping the building is the biggest drawback. There was a rendering of a multi-story, mixed used, very dense project for this site. I think a prior seller had it drawn up. It was built up to the street corner and had an interior well hidden parking structure.

Given this is a large parcel with major frontage on the park, and significant traffic count on Church St, this site needs to be 'maxed out' IMO.

I was relieved to see that there will at least be conods in this proposal. I guess in today's economy, you take what you can get.

I do hope the ugly billboards along Church Street will be taken out, I think that is a separate parcel, so I have to wonder.

Is it just me or are a lot of these drawings of recent building like the Peacock, Next and Main and Washington something out of a post modern 1960's world that James Lileks would have a field day with?

http://www.lileks.com/index.html

Maybe it's just the "thing" the architects do.

I'm still looking for Greenville to get a Gobbler!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html