New Greenville developments

gs3

It's #22 on this list and yes it's shovel ready: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/BS128203210.PDF I believe the stimulus money is paying for at least part of this project. Not sure how much though. From my understanding, the road would go from six lanes to four with a landscaped median, buried powerlines, new decorative street/sidewalk lights, widened sidewalks, and a new traffic light on black masts at University Ridge.

Perfect! Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Now, we just need some more urban development along that stretch... :shades:

Anyone ever hear anymore about the Cancer Survivors Park? The sign is still up, but .... ?

This is kind of an aside, but I noticed the cost for the church st improvments is slated at 6MM. I am still amazed at the cost of these things. 6MM would more than last me and my wife the rest of our lives, several times over. But this is just for one little project in one little city in the whole country. It is just kinda mind-boggling to me that these kind of things cost so much money, and perhaps more that we pay them like they are pocket change. Just food for thought I guess.

This is kind of an aside, but I noticed the cost for the church st improvments is slated at 6MM. I am still amazed at the cost of these things. 6MM would more than last me and my wife the rest of our lives, several times over. But this is just for one little project in one little city in the whole country. It is just kinda mind-boggling to me that these kind of things cost so much money, and perhaps more that we pay them like they are pocket change. Just food for thought I guess.

It may seem somewhat high, but when you consider what is actually being done, it's about right I guess.

-Burying the power lines.

-narrowing the street/paving

-sidewalks

-planted median

-Landscaping along sides?

-decorative light posts

-traffic signals on arms

It's going to take South Church St from a wide "highway" feel to an urban avenue. I think almost any price tag is going to be worth what this project will do for the City and the approach for all visitors from the South side (especially if the CBD continues to market to Atlanta residents for day trips). This project should also spur more urban development along this corridor.

This project will be huge for our city, I believe. Just picture how impressive the view of downtown is driving in on Church Street. Now, with these improvements, the visual impact will be even better. And as GvilleSC said, hopefully the city will promote urban land uses along this stretch of road to improve the corridor even more. :thumbsup:

My ultimate hope is that the improvements will eventually continue from University Ridge to the intersection of Church Street and Augusta Road. That would really tie in downtown and the West End with the Augusta Road area. I'm not sure about the amount of land that is developable (my new word) in that stretch of road, but it would seem to be a nice place for some urban in-town mixed use developments like Target, another supermarket, some good retail, etc. Obviously this would be a few years down the line, but I definitely see it as a possibility.

Edited by Greenville

I thought this project was spanning the length of Church between University and Augusta...? :dontknow:

It is. The road work signs are on Mills Avenue just before Augusta Street and along the Church Street bridge heading towards University Ridge. More road work signs have also gone up on East North Street just before you get to Academy Street going in both directions. Not sure what is planned for that area around the Bilo Center.

• 2 weeks later...

G-man posted renderings and plans of the proposed garage and mixed use development at Rhett and River Streets on another forum. Anyone have thoughts regarding these?

If you're referring to the project that was to go on the site behind the green monster building then i'm sorry to say that it is dead.

It's GREAT that they are expanding but I can see another Starbucks situation if they don't stop expanding so fast in one area!!! Of course I would love to have a company the size of Starbucks or even bigger than it in Greenville but not if America goes into another recession and Greenville sinks under because of it...(look at Seattle it was one of the most booming cities in America but since Starbucks, Boeing, Microsoft, and etc have layed off or even fired workers it's now not a good place for the recession)! Currently they have 18 locations and they want to have between 40-50 locations with in two (2) years, that's pushing it....so they better start building Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Atlanta, and etc locations!!! Greenville already has one major company that is laying off workers (Michelin) so I'm pretty sure that you guys or even the nation can't afford to keep letting that happen....

"The chain also opened a second cafe in downtown Greenville last week when it took over the former Port City Java site at on South Main Street. That shop will have a more upscale appeal, different from the chain's other locations, he said.

Waller said the company had been looking to move into Simpsonville and now has two prime sites on Fairview Road next to Taco Bell and on North East Main Street next to Anita's Restaurant."

It's already sounding bad to me...

Edited by INFOMAN

Basically I'm saying I want Liquid Highway to grow into a company the size of Starbucks but I don't want it to boom so badly that its two locations on one road!!!

Having a "location on every corner" like Starbucks often does in big cities implies population density and urbanity, two things that I think many of us would love to see in Greenville in the future. If the population base can support that many Liquid Highway stores, then I am all for it. :thumbsup:

"If the population can handle a lot of locations than go ahead and build more locations is what your basically saying right"...That's why us Americans are in this recession today, we are too greedy!!! I don't want to see Liquid Highway collapse due to building so many locations!!! I know the entire nation (almost the entire nation) was building a lot of homes and the developers said exactly what you said which is " If the population base can support that many Liquid Highway stores, then I am all for it." but replace Liquid Highway Stores with homes and there you go... "If the population base can support that many Homes, then I am all for it." Now look at them with all these empty homes but picture that in "Liquid Highway Stores" that's a bad situation. So developers kept building more and more homes when eventually they were not needed anymore equaling up to this recession, they thought the population could handle that many homes which it couldn't. "WE AS AMERICANS ARE GREEDY PEOPLE".. Now I can see why people will say that my statement above is nothing but watch and see....

Here is a story from the Greenville News on the proposed redevelopment project for Woodside Mill which is anticipated to cost between $75-$85 million: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...ONTPAGECAROUSEL The developers have to qualify for special mortgage insurance and tax credits through the federal government for it to happen. I hope they will succeed in getting the funding.

I think this has been discussed in the West Greenville thread