New Greenville developments

gs3

Thanks for the compliments!

We are going to move our studio (Trey Cole design group) from the west end to this location when it is finished.

We still have a lot of work to do before we can move in, so unfortunately it will be while before it is completed.

we will be occupying part of the building and will be leasing out studios to other businesses.

Thanks again!

A fitting article for today, Earth Day. BMW is exploring the use of wind energy at their factory here. I'm sure many of you are aware of this as they announced it back in Feb. I just heard about it this week. Good to see this kind green energy being explored. :thumbsup:

Some articles:

http://www.reliableplant.com/article.aspx?...ind+power+study

http://www.mywindpowersystem.com/2009/04/b...heir-factories/

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday afternoon, one of those empty triangular pieces of land, where Stone and Church become Wade Hampton, is under major excavation/site prep. There is fencing up. The anti erosion/runoff black plastic is up around the site, and heavy equipment is leveling the site. Anyone know what is going on? Is this the long time talked about in town Bloom? Any ideas? :dontknow:

I noticed that too. In the past the dirt has been used for landfill for other projects. It is possible the same is true this time. It would be great to have a big project in such a prominent spot. With the developments that that have been done across the street it could be something more modest though.

I noticed that too. In the past the dirt has been used for landfill for other projects. It is possible the same is true this time. It would be great to have a big project in such a prominent spot. With the developments that that have been done across the street it could be something more modest though.

I'm hearing they are just removing the hill for future development. You guys might find this interesting: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/BS115297811.PDF

Edited by citylife

With the developments that that have been done across the street it could be something more modest though.

True. I hope it isn't more of those two story, traditional style, brick offices though. We have enough of those. :dontknow:

:) Office signage to return to downtown highrises according to this application: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...eattiePlace.pdf

I am not familiar with Brown Mackie College. On a Google search, I saw that they have multiple locations around the nation with programs in business, computers, education, etc.

http://www.brownmackie.edu/

I assume this is similar to Webster or Strayer. :dontknow:

:) Office signage to return to downtown highrises according to this application: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...eattiePlace.pdf

This should look good, especially at night.

A question about Liberty Square.....were both towers and the parking deck built at the same time, or was it built in phases? If built at the same time, that was a large amount of office space added to Greenville quickly. When was construction.....the mid/late 80's?

They were built in phases. One Liberty was built in the early 1980s and Two Liberty in the late 1980s, basically only a few years apart. They were originally called Insignia Financial Plaza, home to Insignia Financial Group (among other tenants). Both buildings total a combined 420,520 square feet of office space.

They were built in phases. One Liberty was built in the early 1980s and Two Liberty in the late 1980s, basically only a few years apart. They were originally called Insignia Financial Plaza, home to Insignia Financial Group (among other tenants). Both buildings total a combined 420,520 square feet of office space.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I didn't get a a chance to ask at the event.....what is Village Green? I know Heritage Green, and then I know the West End will be getting tiles in the sidewalk, but what are these tiles for? Is this for the area between city hall and Main @ Broad?

IMG_5056.jpg

I didn't get a a chance to ask at the event.....what is Village Green? I know Heritage Green, and then I know the West End will be getting tiles in the sidewalk, but what are these tiles for? Is this for the area between city hall and Main @ Broad?

IMG_5056.jpg

These tiles were being painted to be included on the fountain wall next to the green at the Main@Broad development, which is what they're calling "Village Green."

Edited by RestedTraveler

These tiles were being painted to be included on the fountain wall next to the green at the Main@Broad development, which is what they're calling "Village Green."

Any know if renderings of the fountain wall are floating around? I looked through the Main @ Broad thread and didn't really see any.

Any know if renderings of the fountain wall are floating around? I looked through the Main @ Broad thread and didn't really see any.

I haven't seen any renderings specifically of the wall, but it was described to me by one of the volunteers while my kids were painting their tiles. The wall will be covered with plain white tiles and the ones that the kids painted will be sprinkled here and there along the wall randomly...and should be much more vividly colored once they've been fired.

I haven't seen any renderings specifically of the wall, but it was described to me by one of the volunteers while my kids were painting their tiles. The wall will be covered with plain white tiles and the ones that the kids painted will be sprinkled here and there along the wall randomly...and should be much more vividly colored once they've been fired.

Cool. Sounds good. :thumbsup:

Here is an article from the Greenville News about future apartment developments. Not sure I understand all the details, but looks like a good thing. Future apartment developments will have to fit in better architecturally with their neighborhood.

Article from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../905140320/1003

Here is an article from the Greenville News about future apartment developments. Not sure I understand all the details, but looks like a good thing. Future apartment developments will have to fit in better architecturally with their neighborhood.

Article from GV News:

I think this sounds like a good thing too, based on the article. I especially liked this quote:

Jean Pool, the city's planning and development manager, showed council members pictures of good and bad multi-family development in the city and told them the new standards would require buildings to mimic single-family residences, face the street, hide parking spaces and avoid long, unbroken facades in favor of gables, porches and varied surfaces.

This sounds much more urban than some of the apartment developments we have seen in the past. If nothing else, the city is saying that it has high standards for all developments, even those targeted at low-income families. There is no reason why the city shouldn't be that way!

Article from GV News:

This is not a good thing, it is a knee jerk reaction taken because they are afraid they are going to loose their seats in next city council election. The only reason they have a problem with these two developments are because they are tax credit affordable housing. It is being spun as low income housing and people are afraid that it is going to bring poor folks to their neighborhoods. And it really comes down to racism and who they think will be living in these units. This will not be "the projects" it is affordable "work force housing". Type of place teachers, fire men and policeman might live.

Since the zoning is in place and they can't stop it that way, they are doing it back door by changing the building codes to something that will not make the projects possible and that will limit the density to something less than what is allowed by the zoning classification. And if these codes are passed they will affect all apartments projects in the city, could make projects of density too expensive and could put an end to garden style apartments within the city.

Steel is starting to go up at the NEXT building. I believe these are the steel parts of the structure that will support the serpentine shaped "screen" around the building. Couldn't find the NEXT thread.....thought we had one. :dontknow:

IMG_5318.jpg

Steel is starting to go up at the NEXT building. I believe these are the steel parts of the structure that will support the serpentine shaped "screen" around the building. Couldn't find the NEXT thread.....thought we had one. :dontknow:

IMG_5318.jpg

They're progressing very quickly on this. I rode by two days ago and made note of the wonderful changes that have given this building a second life.

Are there any street improvements that will be made as a part of this project?

It'd also be nice if the City, or developers, would make a nice link from this project to the Greenway connecting to Falls Park and Cleveland Park.

Edited by GvilleSC