New Greenville developments

gs3

This place was featured in the current G Magazine as well. Did you have to request access prior to your visit? Very nice photos! :thumbsup:

Reading G Magazine gave me the idea to go check it out. You can walk throughout the grounds without a request. You do have to call and set a time to go in, with a guide, without your shoes. :) I didn't go in, but plan to at some point soon.....maybe in June when I have relatives in town.

Does anyone know anything more about the signs posted near McBee Station announcing that, "Something HOT is coming to Greenville"? The website address indicates the name, "Enfuego Greenville" (literally, "on fire" Greenville), via www.enfuego-greenville.com. The domain name is currently parked at GoDaddy.com, but a Whois search revealed that the registrant is Palmetto Culinary Consultants, whose owner appears to be Chef Acy French, CEC. He seems to have quite a bit of experience and hopefully this will turn out to be another culinary landmark off of Main Street. Sounds interesting.

I thought Enfuego was cancelled. :dontknow: The sign with the website listed was taken down a week or two ago. Did they put it back up?

-The old buildings including the one that used to house Poor Richard's Grocery across from the Clock restaurants at the intersection of Highway 123 and Washington Avenue in western Greenville County are being demolished. Don't know what is planned for the site at this time.

Edited by citylife

I thought Enfuego was cancelled. :dontknow: The sign with the website listed was taken down a week or two ago. Did they put it back up?

-The old buildings including the one that used to house Poor Richard's Grocery across from the Clock restaurants at the intersection of Highway 123 and Washington Avenue in western Greenville County are being demolished. Don't know what is planned for the site at this time.

A sign with the website was still posted in one window and another window appears to have been removed and boarded up from ground to ceiling, perhaps in preparation for future work. Maybe someone should contact Palmetto Culinary Consultants to find out what is happening with the place.

I'm not so sure they are tearing down the old Poor Richards building. They have been carefully removing the shingles from the roof. Wouldn't they just tear the whole building down without worrying about something like that?

I'm not so sure they are tearing down the old Poor Richards building. They have been carefully removing the shingles from the roof. Wouldn't they just tear the whole building down without worrying about something like that?

depends on what they are made of. If they have salvage value they will be recycled. If they contain hazardous materials such as asbestos then care is required by state law.

depends on what they are made of. If they have salvage value they will be recycled. If they contain hazardous materials such as asbestos then care is required by state law.

There is asbestos in the building. There were guys walking around on site wearing white jump suits and masks earlier this week.

The feature story of this week's Greenville Journal is on the proposed low-income housing on Augusta Rd near Mauldin Rd. I think it'll be interesting to see how this fight is waged. I was starting to think this area was going to see a significant turnaround with money being invested into those set of duplexes near the Goodwill Store and Pickwick Pharmacy. They look great! Anyway, it's 40 something units that are being proposed. The journal had a ridiculous argument, either brought on itself or by nearby residences claiming that this would start the evolution of Augusta Rd into another Woodruff Rd... Have you ever heard such nonsense??? :scared: 48 units of low income housing didn't start Woodruff Rd's boom into uncontrolled growth.

The best news is this: people who may need public transportation would sit on an established transit line!

Thoughts, comments???

The feature story of this week's Greenville Journal is on the proposed low-income housing on Augusta Rd near Mauldin Rd. I think it'll be interesting to see how this fight is waged. I was starting to think this area was going to see a significant turnaround with money being invested into those set of duplexes near the Goodwill Store and Pickwick Pharmacy. They look great! Anyway, it's 40 something units that are being proposed. The journal had a ridiculous argument, either brought on itself or by nearby residences claiming that this would start the evolution of Augusta Rd into another Woodruff Rd... Have you ever heard such nonsense??? :scared: 48 units of low income housing didn't start Woodruff Rd's boom into uncontrolled growth.

The best news is this: people who may need public transportation would sit on an established transit line!

Thoughts, comments???

I think a title like affordable housing or work force housing would be more appropriate. This is housing that a teacher or a fire man or a police man might live in. If you are jobless living off welfare I still think it will be too expensive.

and regarding the old hess station, yes something will be built there.

Thoughts, comments???

Works well. I think it's a good place to put housing such as that- probably employers are nearby (on the bus lines).

Augusta Road was maybe the Woodruff Road of the 1950s but no prospect of it being that way again.

The Art Deco building on McBee Avenue that is getting an overhaul is looking great! Does anyone know if there is a tenant planning to occupy this building upon completion?

Although there are still a lot of buildings across from McBee Station that need to be demolished and redeveloped, it will be good to see McBee Park get built along with its neighboring Art Deco building's completed renovations. For those who are graphically minded like myself, here's a look at the redevelopment of McBee Avenue past the Church Street Bridge. The Green are the projects investing into the area, the red signifies a huge potential for an expanded experience in this area.

Residential and retail seem like an easy sell when it comes to redevelopment of this area. The population density here should be enticing for retail, and the Publix and Staples should be an easy selling point for residential. (I am aware that the McBee Station condos have not sold quite as expected, but I also know that the apartments went REALLY well).

3576794544_b528a2e148.jpg

Carlton Mercedes Benz on Laurens Rd is undergoing renovations to update the dealership's look. I think it's looking good so far. It's great to see continued investment by dealerships on the Motor Mile, despite the old Heritage Mercury dealership lot still sitting vacant, Pontiac will probably be closing before long as will BMW's current location when they relocate across the Interstate.

• 3 weeks later...

Discovery Island has added a "Flow Rider" to the park this season. If you want to surf or body board, you don't have to go to the ocean anymore. Kind of a unique ride....I was shocked Discovery added it......you see them on the back of cruise ships often. I believe it is the only one in South Carolina, and one of the few in the Southeast.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...iscovery-Island

The Greenville will be getting an IMAX after all. The Great Escape complex will be in Simpsonville and offer the state's only other IMAX theater outside Myrtle Beach. They have also signed an agreement to be the only IMAX in the Greenville Market. So much for Regal putting an IMAX in Greenville...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

I wish this were closer to Greenville, but I guess it will do. I have a feeling Regal's Hollywood 20 will no longer be the highest grossing theater in the Carolinas.

Here is an article in the Gville news about a new for profit college locating DT in the 2 Liberty building. It is a branch of Brown Mackie College and will offer several programs with hopes to add a nursing program in the future. It does not say when it will open but states it will be in the basement and first 2 floors of the building, which sounds like a good thing.