New Greenville developments

gs3

dreaming ahead...

This might be kind of crazy, but do you guys think we could get the high speed rail stop to be in the West Greenville village, as opposed to the Amtrak station on Washington? Actually, it could be nice to move Amtrak, too. Anyway, I think the possibilities for redevelopment and investment offers a better chance in West Greenville. I think the amount of money that would start pouring into the area would easily help pay for transit service from the station to downtown, ideally in the way of a street car line.

ok, end dream. thoughts?

If the stop happens to occur at GSP instead of Greenville, then someone needs to compensate for the lack of vision and offer frequent rail service to downtown.

Every little bit helps! According to GSA, Greenville is now home to a 3 person call center for a national playground equipment company. Gville beat out "The Big Boys"; NY, Chicago, and Atlanta for the center. :thumbsup:

I liked the story of the way the company landed here. The owner, from Germany, was in town to interview someone to head the US operations. The person interviewed in Greenville did not land the job, however the owner was so charmed by Greenville, he decided to put the US operations here. Nice slice of life story. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now they've torn down the old Pecknel Music on Wade Hampton (next to the recently demolished Hess gas station). Does this mean there is a project in the works?

I believe the Greenville Journal TBAs mentioned (a month or two ago) that something was coming to the area around that intersection but it didn't say what. It's desperately needed something. Too bad WHHS didn't do anything with the land behind it either (where the theater used to be). If it's privately owned, I sure hope something larger comes to that space. That's a lot of land that is a blight on the area now.

Now they've torn down the old Pecknel Music on Wade Hampton (next to the recently demolished Hess gas station). Does this mean there is a project in the works?

The brown building was previously Parker Music, which relocated to East Stone Avenue. It was to be replaced by an ice cream parlor, which never came to fruition.

I believe the Greenville Journal TBAs mentioned (a month or two ago) that something was coming to the area around that intersection but it didn't say what. It's desperately needed something. Too bad WHHS didn't do anything with the land behind it either (where the theater used to be). If it's privately owned, I sure hope something larger comes to that space. That's a lot of land that is a blight on the area now.

The site is prime for a new wave of restaraunts and necessity retail (i.e supermarket). The former Parker Music and Hess station demolished will add more visibility for the expanded site.

The Greenville will be getting an IMAX after all. The Great Escape complex will be in Simpsonville and offer the state's only other IMAX theater outside Myrtle Beach. They have also signed an agreement to be the only IMAX in the Greenville Market. So much for Regal putting an IMAX in Greenville...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

I wish this were closer to Greenville, but I guess it will do. I have a feeling Regal's Hollywood 20 will no longer be the highest grossing theater in the Carolinas.

Did Charleston's IMAX close?

• 2 weeks later...

Phoenix Center is planning a new campus on Wade Hampton Blvd where a closed hotel currently sits: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/city_governmen...HamptonBlvd.pdf

They're currently on Cleveland Street, correct? They currently have a great location, which is also located on a bus route with a brand new stop in front of the building...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Appears to be a good bit of clearing going on for a fairly sizeable project just up (away from downtown) from the proposed Phoenix Center location. Anyone heard anything about this? This area of Wade Hampton Blvd is in desparate need of a quality new development as it is a gateway into downtown. Maybe this could spur additional positive development? I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere...

Appears to be a good bit of clearing going on for a fairly sizeable project just up (away from downtown) from the proposed Phoenix Center location. Anyone heard anything about this? This area of Wade Hampton Blvd is in desparate need of a quality new development as it is a gateway into downtown. Maybe this could spur additional positive development? I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere...

I may be wrong, but thought I remembered reading that the Phoenix Center project had been canceled due to neighborhood protest over the location. (The neighborhood directly behind the site).

I know where you're talking about. It's kind of on a hill between Stone Avenue and the old Travel Lodge. Me and a commercial real estate were talking about this site a few days ago. It is rumored to be Bloom although neither of us can confirm that. The Phoenix Center was cancelled due to neighborhood/city protest.

Edited by citylife

Not a new development, but new to me. :P

Spent the night with some friends last night who have finished a new home out at Keowee. Hadn't been out that way in forever. Anyway, stopped in The Market at Keowee Towne this morning for a bagel and coffee.....GREAT place. A cross between Whole Foods, Earth Fare and Fresh Market. Really nice. The entire village center is quite nice. A few photos:

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All of the repaving and such downtown looks fantastic, guys. While I was home for Thanksgiving I drove around downtown to catch up on some things, and was very impressed with the streets that they've redone. Broad Street and Spring/Falls Streets look awesome! They were in terrible shape before. Today's Greenville Daily Photo reminded me of this... Spring Street