Downtown Newark, NJ

ray666

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great aerials.  Newark is definately one of the country's most overlooked and underrated cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, a lot of people don't even realize that Newark has a subway.

The Newark City Subway connects to the PATH which goes into Manhattan. It also connects to NJTransit Commuter Rail and Amtrak trains.

Here are a few more! :P

Here is one pic around Rutgers University.

newark.gif

Here is one pic of Rutgers University.

Links.8.jpg

Here is the Riverfront Stadium home to the Newark Bears & Eagles!

Stadium-vi.jpg

St. Lucy Church

StLucy1-vi.jpg

Various...

DSCN2281copy-vi.jpg

New Jersey Performing Arts Center!

DSCN2316copy-vi.jpg

DSCN2306copy-vi.jpg

DSCN2307copy-vi.jpg

DSCN2318copy-vi.jpg

I will post more very soon! More of Newark and its culture. :)

Ive heard alot of negative comments towards New Jersey and Newark from Long Island where my relatives live. Many from the opposite side of the hudson have negative views of Newark as a polluted, dead, ghetto. Its a shame really.

Ive seen the complete opposite from many areas of Newark. Its fairly dense too.

Ive heard alot of negative comments towards New Jersey and Newark from Long Island where my relatives live. Many from the opposite side of the hudson have negative views of Newark as a polluted, dead, ghetto. Its a shame really.

Ive seen the complete opposite from many areas of Newark. Its fairly dense too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I won't lie, parts of Newark are ghetto, and drug infested. But like I said "Parts" of Newark. I only showed some good parts. Newark has alot of nice areas. They are doing alot of renovating and construction to make the city better. Even with the highways... But answer this question, what major city in America or in the world for that matter doesn' t have a section that is ghetto, run-down, dead, or polluted? Just to name a few in our area, New York City has them. And for your Long Islanders, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx. Some parts of those borrows are like the "king of all ghettos." -_- So people really can't talk unless they come there physically and check out some of the nice sections.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited Newark once and it was a terrible experience. I would never come back to that city again. Once you get out of their Penn Station, you are greated with streets full of very shady characters; I tried to take a short walk outside the station and circled couple of blocks -- it was attrocious. Dirty and full of scary people... In addition, on the way back I saw that someone dropped some kind of battery powered dildo and other sex toys on the floor of Penn Station -- nobody picked it up -- that stuff was just laying there and people were simply passing it by... Disgusting. Newark might look good from the plane and certain buildings might look appealing but the city itself is scary and crime-infested...

I haven't seen all of Newark; and of course one might argue that the city has a lot to offer...What I saw was the area outside the main train station -- business center of the city and I expected it to be at least clean and guarded...

To add: Newark has definately a lot of potential -- major NJ train hub. 20 minutes away from NYC, a lot of business presence, etc. City has to be throughly cleaned, though.

• 2 months later...

I've never actually been into the city, but I think Newark actually has a really cool looking skyline. I always see it right as Im approaching NYC. It's sad, but it's true that NYC overshadows Newark. I've heard it get so much negative publicity with gangs, poverty and violence, etc. but I'd really like to see Newark imrove in the future. Nice pics though!

I was in Newark a couple of months ago. I live in Seattle now but Newark is my birthplace.

NewJersey001Small.jpg

NewJersey002Small.jpg

S. Klein was the place to shop. That's the same S Klein sign from years ago.

NewJersey005Small.jpg

NewJersey006Small.jpg

The tallest building on the right use to be Newark's biggest department store, Bamberger's. I use to see Santa there every year. The store's name was changed to Macy's in the late 80's. If was finally shut down shortly after that.

NewJersey008Small.jpg

NewJersey007Small.jpg

NewJersey009Small.jpg

My old kindergarden and part of first grade school. Maple Avenue School.

NewJersey017Small.jpg

NewJersey016Small.jpg

NewJersey020Small.jpg

NewJersey035Small.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I've only been to Newark once in 1984 and at that I was completly shocked at the urban decay present in the place. As a Southerner I had never seen anything like this before and wanted to get out of Newark as fast as possible.

Its good to see that a lot of it has been cleaned up. Well at least in the photos. Newark looks as if it would be a nice alternative as a place to live than in very expensive NYC.

• 10 months later...

I'll be moving to North Jersey in June and parts of Newark are under consideration. My favorite Newark neighborhood is the Ironbound, just east of Penn Station. It's a largely Portuguese and Brazilian community. There are lots of EXCELLENT restaurants, bars, etc. They serve margarita-like drinks called caipirinhas, in which the glasses are rimmed with sugar instead of salt. Very good stuff.

Caipirinha:

Caipirinha.jpg

The Ironbound: (these are web finds, sorry some are small)

300px-P7140079.JPG

ironbound_4.jpg

The following come from Photographer Ronald Saari. He has good pics from all over NJ. Take a look!

AdegaGrillNewark.jpg\

IberiaPeninsulaRestaurantInterior.jpg

FerryStreetNewark.jpg

I love the Ironbound though its been years since my step-mother (dominican decent) and I visited the area to eat at a Portugese restaurant which was REALLY good! The only portugese restaurant i go to locally on occasion is the Ria Mar in South River, Middlesex County.

I was born in Jersey City, lived in Union until I was 10 and visit 1-2 times a year (up from SC). I was up in December and on my way into JC took a wrong turn and ended up on Clinton Ave. leading into downtown Newark. I'm just thankful my car didn't break down or I might not be here typing this. Doesn't anybody there work? This was the middle of a weekday and there were throngs of people just hanging around street corners. Clinton Ave itself just looked run down and neglected. The business district was a bit nicer, though. It seems there is an effort being made to clean it up.

I heard they're building a new arena downtown for the Devils. Hopefully there will be nearby mass transit and plenty of security

I was born in Jersey City, lived in Union until I was 10 and visit 1-2 times a year (up from SC). I was up in December and on my way into JC took a wrong turn and ended up on Clinton Ave. leading into downtown Newark. I'm just thankful my car didn't break down or I might not be here typing this. Doesn't anybody there work? This was the middle of a weekday and there were throngs of Ipeople just hanging around street corners. Clinton Ave itself just looked run down and neglected. The business district was a bit nicer, though. It seems there is an effort being made to clean it up.

I heard they're building a new arena downtown for the Devils. Hopefully there will be nearby mass transit and plenty of security

Clinton Ave is the southern part of the area most affected by the 1960s riots. Afterward many buildings in the area were bulldozed and nothing has been built since. So you'll see lots of empty blocks along Clinton Ave between Clinton Hill and Lincoln Park. Even worse than Clinton Ave is Springfield Ave. There is some infill development now occurring in the area, a promising sign, as these are the first significant reinvestments in the area in 35 years! I worked on a bus rapid transit study in the area. I'll create a new thread later today or tomorrow showing pics from that study.

Thanks for these pictures. I grew up in West Orange & I have lived in Orlando for the past year and a half. seeing pictures of Newark and the archectecture of North Jersey really brings back memories. One of the things I really miss is the view I had of Newark from the Harrison Path station while I would wait for my train into Manhattan.

Archived