Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

In less than a year, a Minor League baseball team will be playing in Columbia.

The team's stadium, Spirit Communications Park is a work in progress, but officials with Columbia Professional Baseball say things are on schedule and on budget. 

Driving by the site at the former South Carolina Mental Hospital location on Bull Street, piles of dirt can be seen. For a $37-million project, some people expect to see more by now.

http://www.wistv.com/story/28944109/progress-on-columbia-ballpark-is-right-on-schedule-officials-say

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit Communications wants to do more than own the naming rights to the capital city’s new minor league baseball stadium being built on the old State Hospital grounds. It wants to turn the redeveloped Bull Street campus into a gigabit community.

In addition to providing Wi-Fi service to the 165-acre site, the company plans to install a fiber optics network that would allow businesses – and even individuals who live there – to have affordable access to gigabit speeds. Gigabit speeds are at least 100 times faster than traditional broadband, Spirit officials said.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article21131661.html

I thought there might be some cool tie-in, but that's a lot better than expected. I guess this means that Spirit has a lock on the entire campus. I assume this was part of the negotiation and probably what prompted them to buy the naming rights. This is a win-win for them and the city of Columbia.

I thought there might be some cool tie-in, but that's a lot better than expected. I guess this means that Spirit has a lock on the entire campus. I assume this was part of the negotiation and probably what prompted them to buy the naming rights. This is a win-win for them and the city of Columbia.

Agreed. This should make the property more valuable, I would imagine.

When will Hughes Development release to the public the names of the retail tenants who have signed leases? I thought a preliminary list was supposed to have already been made public by now. I'm growing impatient. Of course, there are a lot of things in this life I want and want now..but that's another story.

When will Hughes Development release to the public the names of the retail tenants who have signed leases? I thought a preliminary list was supposed to have already been made public by now. I'm growing impatient. Of course, there are a lot of things in this life I want and want now..but that's another story.

Yes i feel the same way too. I'm still curious myself but these things can't be rushed. They are probably working things out now on deadlines and start build dates.

im more curious on Anchor Stores which anchor store is supposed to be there.

Columbia soon will know which Major League Baseball affiliate will have a minor-league team playing in the Spirit Communications Park starting in April.

Mayor Steve Benjamin and Jason Freier, chairman and chief executive of Atlanta-based Hardball Capital, will join others for a news conference Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at the ball park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in Charlotte again yesterday and I noticed a Huge Ballpark near the Bank of America stadium. I was curious if this is the Charlotte Knights Baseball stadium. because it looks beautiful and the area surrounding it looks very vibrant. (well most of Charlotte is vibrant) I was wondering if this a similar design and size of the Spirit Communications Park or if our stadium is going to be bigger.

I was in Charlotte again yesterday and I noticed a Huge Ballpark near the Bank of America stadium. I was curious if this is the Charlotte Knights Baseball stadium. because it looks beautiful and the area surrounding it looks very vibrant. (well most of Charlotte is vibrant) I was wondering if this a similar design and size of the Spirit Communications Park or if our stadium is going to be bigger.

Yes, I believe you are describing the Charlotte Knights' Stadium..BB&T Field I believe it is called. I've not been, and don't know if ours is being modeled after that one. 

I'm going to try to get over to take some pictures of the progress of Spirit Telecom Park soon. Has anyone driven close enough to get a look? If you drive next to the property on Calhoun, you can catch a glimpse.

I've been on the property about two times this week…progress is coming along nicely.

• Like 1

I have picture of the construction. the best I can get. its harder to get to the site now. but they already have the outlines of the stadium. and theres a huge hole where the field is going to be at. Im wondering all those torn up beat down buildings next to it where i guess people go get meds and stuff. how long are they gonna stay there. because they look so run down.

19724466945_80d5d54943_o.jpg

19698270246_4d74203492_o.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, I appreciate your taking those pictures..it is really happening!

No problem I was out today looking at all the areas projects and construction and I decided before i went home to go by the Bull St area.

I've been meaning to take pictures of the Office building going up on the corner of Assembly and Blossom. they always have Steel beams up.

Hey, I appreciate your taking those pictures..it is really happening!

No problem I was out today looking at all the areas projects and construction and I decided before i went home to go by the Bull St area.

I've been meaning to take pictures of the Office building going up on the corner of Assembly and Blossom. they always have Steel beams up.

I drove by that corner earlier tonight, but didn't have my camera. It will add some nice density to that corner.

• Like 1

Columbia soon will know which Major League Baseball affiliate will have a minor-league team playing in the Spirit Communications Park starting in April.

Mayor Steve Benjamin and Jason Freier, chairman and chief executive of Atlanta-based Hardball Capital, will join others for a news conference Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at the ball park.

Did this happen? I can't find an announcement anywhere.

Nevermind, found it:

http://www.free-times.com/news/as-baseball-team-comes-into-focus-retailers-remain-shrouded-052715

Edited by Jet-set

Did this happen? I can't find an announcement anywhere.

Nevermind, found it:

http://www.free-times.com/news/as-baseball-team-comes-into-focus-retailers-remain-shrouded-052715

By Aug 11 they will speak on Bull Street Commons. and i think by then we will have our Answers on who will be coming to the area as businesses. I hope they have the answer we are looking for. because I know the longer they wait the more people make speculations that they dont exist.