Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

The first development at Bull Street Commons will be a 234-bed student housing complex that represents a mix of apartment buildings and townhouses. I have a feeling the reality of the market is hitting Hughes and company. They may build homes eventually, but it will have to be on the northern side of the development and tie into existing neighborhoods. In the mean time, it's all about the apartments.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article50356390.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

The first development at Bull Street Commons will be a 234-bed student housing complex that represents a mix of apartment buildings and townhouses. I have a feeling the reality of the market is hitting Hughes and company. They may build homes eventually, but it will have to be on the northern side of the development and tie into existing neighborhoods. In the mean time, it's all about the apartments.

No rendering picture?

On 12/18/2015 at 9:17 AM, carolinagarnet said:

When developing a mixed use site, if you have the retail and other, more dense land uses in place it helps sell the SFR. People look at property differently when its SFR and not everyone has the ability to picture what the entire neighborhood will look like in the end. 

The developer for the new BullStreet project at the former S.C. State Hospital campus will submit plans for an 85-store urban village that includes 414,000 square feet of space, officials of the Lennar Commercial firm told The State.

The village will range from one to five stories and will have 275 upper-story apartments, mostly market rate apartments as opposed to the trending student housing. The retailers will include shops, restaurants, services and entertainment, including a cinema, Lennar recruiter Mike Cohn said last week in his first extensive interview on the project.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article51729020.html

9 hours ago, growingup15 said:

The developer for the new BullStreet project at the former S.C. State Hospital campus will submit plans for an 85-store urban village that includes 414,000 square feet of space, officials of the Lennar Commercial firm told The State.

The village will range from one to five stories and will have 275 upper-story apartments, mostly market rate apartments as opposed to the trending student housing. The retailers will include shops, restaurants, services and entertainment, including a cinema, Lennar recruiter Mike Cohn said last week in his first extensive interview on the project.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article51729020.html

Signed up for e-mailed updates. 

On 12/26/2015 at 10:49 PM, growingup15 said:

Welp Theirs 6 days left in the year and this month Lets see if we get these announcements for the 41 businesses. so everyone who been complaining about not knowing will shut up about it

Sounds like we won't get anything out of Hughes until probably August or September. I guess it doesn't matter now that he's on track to build a whole retail village. I find it odd that everything is so deeply secret when developers typically publicize anchors in concert with announcing a complex. 

3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Sounds like we won't get anything out of Hughes until probably August or September. I guess it doesn't matter now that he's on track to build a whole retail village. I find it odd that everything is so deeply secret when developers typically publicize anchors in concert with announcing a complex. 

Its odd but like they said in the article these things are complicated and you just cant publicly tell everyone so I guess its a reason. I trust them things seems to be going good so far we will see how this all turns out within the next few months

3 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Its odd but like they said in the article these things are complicated and you just cant publicly tell everyone so I guess its a reason. I trust them things seems to be going good so far we will see how this all turns out within the next few months

The article explicitly stated that they are targeting students. "Cohn said the presence of those students is one of the main drivers of the retailers’ interest.“Millennials aren’t like most of us when we went to college,” he said. “They are carrying their parents’ credit Cards.” So the biggest project in columbia's history is targeting students? Wow is all i got to say. 

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

The article explicitly stated that they are targeting students. "Cohn said the presence of those students is one of the main drivers of the retailers’ interest.“Millennials aren’t like most of us when we went to college,” he said. “They are carrying their parents’ credit Cards.” So the biggest project in columbia's history is targeting students? Wow is all i got to say. 

Im a Millennial. and Yes i am carrying my parents at the moment >.> unfortunately. but its not all millenials im in the percentage who cant afford anything because we're the under prepared generation in decades because of the bad economy

1 hour ago, growingup15 said:

Im a Millennial. and Yes i am carrying my parents at the moment >.> unfortunately. but its not all millenials im in the percentage who cant afford anything because we're the under prepared generation in decades because of the bad economy

The town should focus on the business district now, give the students a place to work after they graduate rather than leaving the city. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mpretori said:

The town should focus on the business district now, give the students a place to work after they graduate rather than leaving the city. 

In some ways Columbia has to rely on the state for economic development. Unfortunately Haley's administration has prioritized low-value manufacturing (tires) over corporate headquarters in an attempt to bolster job numbers. Boeing and Volvo may be the exception, but of course they both located near Charleston. Columbia is too far to really benefit from the port and is being eclipsed by Greer due to the inland port anyway. 

At this point Benjamin is going for low-hanging fruit: USC. The city cannot control state or military hiring and outside of the University, the amount of work required to diversify the economy is beyond the scope of the mayor. If you remember, Columbia tried to bolster the local economy (with USC) by funding Innovista and was badly burned to the tune of a $150M bailout. I would argue that there is a built-in market for apartments downtown as recent grads who already work in Columbia were moving out to the suburbs can now stay downtown after graduation. Of course it is difficult to measure the true level of demand, but developers seem to think it's still there.

I originally thought BullStreet would come at the expense of development on Main and in the Vista, but now I see it more as a Birkdale Village in Charlotte or even an urban Sandhills- a fully contained development that will attract more of the family and casual shopping crowd. I fully expect the retail village to draw a Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Chico's, Marshall's or TJ Maxx, maybe a Target- stores that people drive to Forest Drive or Columbiana to frequent. Hughes insists that there will be some original stores to the market. As as a millennial, I'll say that H&M, an Apple Store (as always), Zara, Vineyard Vines, maybe a few others would generate a ton of interest from students and recent grads. Let's hope that the development provides a mix that is palatable for everyone.

On 12/29/2015 at 9:41 AM, carolinagarnet said:

In some ways Columbia has to rely on the state for economic development. Unfortunately Haley's administration has prioritized low-value manufacturing (tires) over corporate headquarters in an attempt to bolster job numbers. Boeing and Volvo may be the exception, but of course they both located near Charleston. Columbia is too far to really benefit from the port and is being eclipsed by Greer due to the inland port anyway. 

This is off-topic, but I think this development could be huge and could be a boon for USC if its a major petrol company :

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/business/article52068215.html

6 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

This is off-topic, but I think this development could be huge and could be a boon for USC if its a major petrol company :

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/business/article52068215.html

$1.6B is a large number, but it sounds like the facility will infrastructure-heavy without being labor intensive. It seems like the best outcome would be a corporate or regional headquarter that accompanies the facility. Then again, that area is pretty rural.

414,000 Sq Ft of retail space. WOWZAS! thats a lot of retail space if they are planning that there must be a lot of retail coming all at once to that area

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56629-bull-street-plans-call-for-414-000-square-feet-of-retail-space

Quick idea in my head. But im not sure if i brought this up before but. Anyone can see a Epicentre Style mall being built in the far side of the Bull St project. probably somewhere near the back of the area, near Harden St.

9 hours ago, growingup15 said:

414,000 Sq Ft of retail space. WOWZAS! thats a lot of retail space if they are planning that there must be a lot of retail coming all at once to that area

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56629-bull-street-plans-call-for-414-000-square-feet-of-retail-space

Quick idea in my head. But im not sure if i brought this up before but. Anyone can see a Epicentre Style mall being built in the far side of the Bull St project. probably somewhere near the back of the area, near Harden St.

Based on the current plans, they're not looking at anything of that size. It might feel too bulky and given all the parking around the buildings, it seems like they are targeting shoppers from the suburbs who have a distaste for big parking garages. Something like Epicentre might work well in downtown where it would fit the character of the neighborhood, but would feel out of place in the Vista, Five Points, or BullStreet.

8 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Based on the current plans, they're not looking at anything of that size. It might feel too bulky and given all the parking around the buildings, it seems like they are targeting shoppers from the suburbs who have a distaste for big parking garages. Something like Epicentre might work well in downtown where it would fit the character of the neighborhood, but would feel out of place in the Vista, Five Points, or BullStreet.

I think an Epicentre style mall needs to go up right across the street from the Main Library downtown that lot looks perfect for such a development

2 hours ago, growingup15 said:

I think an Epicentre style mall needs to go up right across the street from the Main Library downtown that lot looks perfect for such a development

With the building proposed next to the library (aka Soviet window tower) and the proposed apartments above the parking garage, there will be much more foot traffic in that area. I think something like that would work, albeit on a smaller scale than Epicentre. To be honest though, I would prefer a line of bars (on Main Street) to a large grouping. While something like Epicentre seems appealing, it always felt very forced when I lived in Uptown. With enough development, there may be incentive to retrofit the lobbies of buildings in downtown to house shops or restaurants. The lobby of the Grant Thornton building right next to the Epicentre was oppressively large (like some of the lobbies fronting Main), so they carved out a large section and built a Carolina Ale House. Adding space in the existing line of development would help continue development toward USC, which I think would make it much more popular. 

BullStreet seems to be going for a similar development pattern with its retail village. I used to think that the neighborhood would detract from the Vista, Main Street, and Five Points, but now I think it will be more like a Sandhills by targeting families and teenagers rather than college students or young professionals.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2016 at 8:10 PM, carolinagarnet said:

With the building proposed next to the library (aka Soviet window tower) and the proposed apartments above the parking garage, there will be much more foot traffic in that area. I think something like that would work, albeit on a smaller scale than Epicentre. To be honest though, I would prefer a line of bars (on Main Street) to a large grouping. While something like Epicentre seems appealing, it always felt very forced when I lived in Uptown. With enough development, there may be incentive to retrofit the lobbies of buildings in downtown to house shops or restaurants. The lobby of the Grant Thornton building right next to the Epicentre was oppressively large (like some of the lobbies fronting Main), so they carved out a large section and built a Carolina Ale House. Adding space in the existing line of development would help continue development toward USC, which I think would make it much more popular. 

BullStreet seems to be going for a similar development pattern with its retail village. I used to think that the neighborhood would detract from the Vista, Main Street, and Five Points, but now I think it will be more like a Sandhills by targeting families and teenagers rather than college students or young professionals.

I think Columbia is a long ways away from a epicenter. I think Columbia needs to attract people with higher incomes that would spend there. Columbia is less than many areas in the state, which shouldn't be the case. Bullstreet's developer said the development it set for college kids mainly. I think the corruption case right now is going to have ripple effects down the road also with possible investment being effected. Might be a few years before the city experiences high growth. 

1 hour ago, Spes said:

I found Epicentre to be a tourist-obsessed, franchised monstrosity.  Columbia's drought of local establishments is deep enough, and retarding its growth. God forbid.

Have you been to Epicenter? It's certainly not that. 

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

I think Columbia is a long ways away from a epicenter. I think Columbia needs to attract people with higher incomes that would spend there. Columbia is less than many areas in the state, which shouldn't be the case. Bullstreet's developer said the development it set for college kids mainly. I think the corruption case right now is going to have ripple effects down the road also with possible investment being effected. Might be a few years before the city experiences high growth. 

Have you been to Epicenter? It's certainly not that. 

To be fair, almost nobody that lives anywhere near Uptown goes to Epicentre. I went there a few times when I first moved to Charlotte and found that everyone was from the extreme outer suburbs- Kannapolis, Concord, Rock Hill, Matthews. It's popular because it's easy to locate, not because it has a great mix of bars. I agree with Spes that Columbia needs to focus on street facing retail, restaurants, and bars. Greenville's approach to development was smart- focus on one main corridor and then on its branches (side streets). Columbia is too large to do this, so for now there will be large gaps between the cores of the Vista, Main Street, 5 Points, and BullStreet. Long term the idea of a diagonal greenway that connects BullStreet to downtown and the Vista an interesting way of tying these islands together. 

Edited by carolinagarnet

11 hours ago, Spes said:

I found Epicentre to be a tourist-obsessed, franchised monstrosity.  Columbia's drought of local establishments is deep enough, and retarding its growth. God forbid.

Have you been to Epicentre? its anything but that. its a modern style compact mall that fits and I still believe would work here in Columbia especially on that land across the street from the library downtown or like in the Innovista area. if USC would aloud that