Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

47 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

I still think it can work the last time i talked with our mayor and SCDOT director they said it can still work.

Of course it CAN work, but that fact doesn't mean they would actually build it. It makes sense if you're talking about the idea, and I won't argue that it doesn't. But there are certain realities about transportation planning that can't be avoided. 

1- The connection isn't on a plan. It would have to be added and prioritized. The way roads are funded in a metropolitan area is via the local Metrolpolitan Planning Organization (MPO). In Columbia, the MPO is called the Columbia Area Transportation Study (COATS) which is housed in the Central Midlands Council of Governments. In order to add a new road connection project, public meetings have to be held and the to vet the idea and get input, and only then can it be added to the long range transportation plan. Usually people get pissed off when you talk about building a highway through their neighborhood, so that adds an extra layer of difficulty.

2- Once the project is on the plan, it must be prioritized against all other projects. Who knows where it would rank. I guess the good news is that there are only three new roads planned for the region. The rest are widening and/or intersection projects.

3- After it's prioritized it would then need to make the financially constrained plan to make it into the implementation plan (each of which is just a further iteration of the original based on available funds and ability to construct)     

So, all I'm trying to say here is that while your idea does have some merit - it isn't something that is likely to happen for a variety of reasons.

This is the first time I've ever looked at Columbia's project list, and I have to say I'm disappointed. The majority of the projects are road widening and intersection capacity improvements. While those are certainly needed, there is absolutely nothing innovative about it from a transportation standpoint. 

If anyone is interested in looking at the plans, you can see the 2035 LRTP and the prioritized list of projects here: http://centralmidlands.org/2035-long-range-transportation-plan.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

Of course it CAN work, but that fact doesn't mean they would actually build it. It makes sense if you're talking about the idea, and I won't argue that it doesn't. But there are certain realities about transportation planning that can't be avoided. 

1- The connection isn't on a plan. It would have to be added and prioritized. The way roads are funded in a metropolitan area is via the local Metrolpolitan Planning Organization (MPO). In Columbia, the MPO is called the Columbia Area Transportation Study (COATS) which is housed in the Central Midlands Council of Governments. In order to add a new road connection project, public meetings have to be held and the to vet the idea and get input, and only then can it be added to the long range transportation plan. Usually people get pissed off when you talk about building a highway through their neighborhood, so that adds an extra layer of difficulty.

2- Once the project is on the plan, it must be prioritized against all other projects. Who knows where it would rank. I guess the good news is that there are only three new roads planned for the region. The rest are widening and/or intersection projects.

3- After it's prioritized it would then need to make the financially constrained plan to make it into the implementation plan (each of which is just a further iteration of the original based on available funds and ability to construct)     

So, all I'm trying to say here is that while your idea does have some merit - it isn't something that is likely to happen for a variety of reasons.

This is the first time I've ever looked at Columbia's project list, and I have to say I'm disappointed. The majority of the projects are road widening and intersection capacity improvements. While those are certainly needed, there is absolutely nothing innovative about it from a transportation standpoint. 

If anyone is interested in looking at the plans, you can see the 2035 LRTP and the prioritized list of projects here: http://centralmidlands.org/2035-long-range-transportation-plan.html

I think they need to upgrade that 2035 Plan like seriously. its needed and yeah im dissapointed myself. One thing is really needed here in Columbia in the coming decade is Rail Transit a Connector and Improvments on roads. I see they got the Road part down but everything else is not even being looked it. We are heading to an Urban Gridlock in the next 5-10 years if nothing is done ASAP. BullStreet, Riverfront, Downtown and Five Points are gonna to get even busier and its already bad now in Columbia. if dont watch if they are not going to be prepared.

• 1 month later...

so I drove by the Ball park today on the colonial dr side and I notice they are tearing down that old building across the street. You can clearly see the entrance of the stadium now from the Colonial Rd side now. also they are digging out the ground for the Road that Connects to that road. looks like progress is happening fast. I wonder how long before we start to see the first store pop up and start being built.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 1:14 AM, growingup15 said:

so I drove by the Ball park today on the colonial dr side and I notice they are tearing down that old building across the street. You can clearly see the entrance of the stadium now from the Colonial Rd side now. also they are digging out the ground for the Road that Connects to that road. looks like progress is happening fast. I wonder how long before we start to see the first store pop up and start being built.

That's good news! Probably see more construction this year. I accepted a job in Charlotte so i won't see Columbia grow anymore Did a last check on developments, looks like a park might be added! 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2016 at 6:43 PM, mpretori said:

That's good news! Probably see more construction this year. I accepted a job in Charlotte so i won't see Columbia grow anymore Did a last check on developments, looks like a park might be added! 

Aw oh no. :c well i wish you luck on your new job. But Columbia isn't far away its not lik you moving to Atlanta or LA or something 

This is exciting news the new Ballpark has an exclusive video tour inside on the progress. watch its amazing. http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article64472682.html

Hughes released a 100 page traffic study showing that Bull Street will have 16 entrances, spread between Calhoun (3), Harden (5), Bull (3), and Colonial (5). This should assuage the fears that this will overwhelm Bull as people pour in and out of the development. Some other interesting notes:

-They mentioned Phase 3 construction will be complete by 2020. I imagine this refers to the infrastructure rather than the development itself, which will undoubtedly take many years to build out.

-The 10-screen movie theater was confirmed (I believe it was just shown on a rendering earlier).

- There will be a fitness center and a number of high turnover, probably fast casual restaurants.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article65092517.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How awesome would it be to work in that First Base Building? I'm surprised that it has not drawn any additional leases as there is not much in the way of new office space in Columbia outside of Bull Street and the Holder Building. Since the business community in the city is not really growing and most companies sign long-term leases, I think they will need to draw from other submarkets (i.e. Irmo/St. Andrews, Northeast).

• 1 month later...

So I just finished looking at an ABC Columbia news story back on May 9th 2016 and from what information I got it's saying that we should hear some announcements about the stores, shops and retailers that are coming to the Bull Street Commons sometime around July

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/57692-renovated-parker-annex-ready-for-its-next-100-years 

It's finally finished.

3 hours ago, growingup15 said:

They are turning it into a Hotel/ Mixed Income Apartment/Condo.

From what i hear 6 months ago

I hope that is still the plan. My impression is that the project might not be as attractive without the ability to immediately expense historic tax credits. I believe there was a bill discussed a couple years ago that would have accelerated recognition, but it failed to gain traction. Based on photos, Babcock is really a complete disaster inside, so they may need to gut it and completely rebuild the interior structure after they finish asbestos abatement.

I don't know how many of y'all check the other forum but if you don't already know there were some renderings released not too long ago depicting a Nike store, Starbucks, a brewery, an H&M, a Cobb movie theater, and a Firebirds Wood Fired Grill among other blurred out signage. This doesn't confirm anything but it does provide us with some insight into what kind of retail the developer is looking for.

My first inclination was to say those were just placeholders, but they made a deliberate effort to include Nike in multiple renderings. Given that they used generic "clip art" signs for other spaces, the stores with real logos appear to be deliberate. An H&M would do exceptionally well in Bull Street.

• Like 1