Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

Not bad looking I wonder if they will run the trollery out there?

I thought the trolley bit the dust? Or did they just cut back the routes? I was thinking the other day... the problem with that whole idea and why it didn't really catch on, I think, is a perception of a lack of authenticity or a certain level of excellence of service. In a city like Columbia, where public transportation is faced with so many challenges, to really accomplish what they're trying to accomplish and attract the kind of riders that they're trying to attract, it would smarter to have some really nicely outfitted, well-designed shuttle buses. I think it's the branding that people find hokey/cheesy/shoddy. Who wants to ride around in something that is a poor imitation of something cooler? Maybe making a shuttle bus look like a streetcar was a good idea back in 1989, but there has been a paradigm shift in people's attitudes about such things. Now it just seems crappy... to most people... I think. But this is a topic for another thread. :)

Edited by emerging.me

• 1 month later...

^^ That article is a "must read" for anyone that reads or posts ANYHERE in the Columbia forum. Not only does it give a fascinating account of this guy and his past history, but it gives a frank and candid look at the way Columbia use to be run and how it is run now. It also underscores why I feel Columbia has fallen short of it's potential in the last 10-20 years.

The great thing is that this guy Timken is stepping up to the plate to change things. Hopefully, given his past, this group of businessmen will be more inclusive than the previous 'cabal'. Timken is committed to making sure that Bull Street doesn't get stuck in a rut the way CCI did. I certainly wish him success with that.

Frankly, I thinks things will be differently this time. I think the mayor and even the hardheaded council members finally realize that the CCI situation shouldn't be repeated. Secondly, to some degree CCI may have been a little ahead of it's time.

If the city government can get on board and help Timken and people like him, instead of being an impediment, Columbia's greatest achievements are just ahead of it.

^^ That article is a "must read" for anyone that reads or posts ANYHERE in the Columbia forum. Not only does it give a fascinating account of this guy and his past history, but it gives a frank and candid look at the way Columbia use to be run and how it is run now. It also underscores why I feel Columbia has fallen short of it's potential in the last 10-20 years.

The great thing is that this guy Timken is stepping up to the plate to change things. Hopefully, given his past, this group of businessmen will be more inclusive than the previous 'cabal'. Timken is committed to making sure that Bull Street doesn't get stuck in a rut the way CCI did. I certainly wish him success with that.

Frankly, I thinks things will be differently this time. I think the mayor and even the hardheaded council members finally realize that the CCI situation shouldn't be repeated. Secondly, to some degree CCI may have been a little ahead of it's time.

If the city government can get on board and help Timken and people like him, instead of being an impediment, Columbia's greatest achievements are just ahead of it.

I am especially encouraged by the fact that he backs Coble for mayor while having been a force behind Rickenmann's campaign for city council, and that he is now for Kirk Finlay, Jr.

I am also glad that he supports Coble and I think Finlay will be a big improvement over Osborne, but Rickenmann has not impressed me one iota.

Rickenmann is big on quality of life issues, but he is definitely a fiscal conservative. I've always been willing to give that combination in a politician a chance.

Rickenmann is big on quality of life issues, but he is definitely a fiscal conservative. I've always been willing to give that combination in a politician a chance.

The reason I don't care for him has nothing to do with his politics, although he is considerably more conservative than I am. I have emailed him about issues on 2 occasions and the responses I received were full of spelling and grammar errors; I expect better from an elected official.

I agree the article is a must read.. :thumbsup: A.C. Flora :yahoo:

maybe after Bull Street project...He and his group could assist with CCI

and developing Columbia's gateway, from the West. :huh:

CCI is on the fast track. The Beach Company is setting up their sales headquarters in the Dupree building on Gervais in the Vista. They have put their logo and some signage on the ground floor window there.

CCI is on the fast track. The Beach Company is setting up their sales headquarters in the Dupree building on Gervais in the Vista. They have put their logo and some signage on the ground floor window there.

Or at least their logo and signage would indicate they are moving into that building - it could just be that they're advertizing there.

I am fairly busy, but I have to say that I am very impressed with this design. DPZ has not let us down. Everyone needs to look at that PDF that the article links to. If anyone wants to do a screen shot of the master plan and post it, that would be appreciated. Much more to say later. :thumbsup::shades:

I sure would like to see some info about how much the home, townhomes, and condos will cost. I am looking to buy a new house in the next year or two, and would consider Bull Street...but I have a feeling that they're going to be outrageous. And being a single, middle class working guy, I doubt it'll be in my price range.

I am very excited about this design. It sooks similar to my original preference.

It has increased owner-occupied housing, and office space too, which is great. The state says that there could be over 1200 jobs in this complex, and I see no reason why the population couldn't surpass 2000-2500.

My only concern is traffic around this thing. It will have retail shops as well as businesses. My guess is that not everyone using them will live in it. If you think the Bull & Elmwood intersection is bad now, just wait 10 years- Yikes. But hopefully by then Columbia will be well on its way to building a fixed mass transit system of some sort.

I sure would like to see some info about how much the home, townhomes, and condos will cost. I am looking to buy a new house in the next year or two, and would consider Bull Street...but I have a feeling that they're going to be outrageous. And being a single, middle class working guy, I doubt it'll be in my price range.

I fear that will be a problem for most people. I am not clear on why housing prices will be, but typically with these new urbanists projects they skyrocket. This is a prime location, so I expect this will do the same. I am generally not a fan of new urbanism becuase it is usually located in the suburbs, where its very purpose is defeated. This type, however, is located downtown, and will better serve its purpose. I too would be very interested in living in this development if I were to move back to Columbia- but it will probably be out of my price range as well.

There are somewhat affordable areas remaining in-town, but they are mostly in the Eau Calire area. I am banking on Eau Claire being the next big area to be revitalized since I bought a house in this section. I'm sure the units in the Bull Street development will be mostly over $200K, which is out of the range of most single, middle income people.

I thought that there was to be affordable housing included within this development. I'd hate to see this thing turn into another Seaside, FL.

Too bad the movie theatre idea got scrapped. :(

In City Council meetings recently they have talked at length about funding to make housing obtainable for people of all income levels in every section of Columbia, including downtown. They are largely taking this burden off of developers and plan to make funds available to in effect "subsidize," but this is not a word they want to use. They are adamant that downtown will have people from all income levels.