Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

I know at one time, it was said that the best route may be to section off the campus into different parcels to be developed by different developers. I think that's a smart idea.

Yes, but then SCDMH would have to find multiple buyers for the property. Maybe the city can assist with that.

If we ever find aerials on my website, it will be because Firefox decided to go up in a helicopter - you will never get me in a helicopter or a small plane - never! ;)

c'on Matt! Flying is GREAT! Especially in a small plane. I had my pilots license until I could no longer pass the annual physical.

If someone volunteers to take me up, I'd love to go and take lots of aerials of Columbia. I'd be glad to share them with you, Matt. :camera::offtopic:

:camera: Another great shot! I really love the design of the building in the top right corner of the pic. the one visible at the intersection of Bull and Elmwood with ASYLUM :shok: on it. Too me it is one of the most beautiful in the downtown area. I hope with the redevelopment that it will be re-used and not destroyed. it would make a great school, or showpping center. :rolleyes: maybe even an apartment/condo building, or hotel!

Wow. What an incredibly frustrating read.

Well, it sounds to me like this guy Binkley -- the Mental Health spokesman -- is doing a bit of posturing. What a foolish mistake it would be for them to scrap this world-class plan. It really is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I really hope they can find a developer that truly understands New Urbanism.

Edited by emerging.me

The biggest problem with this project is that the SC Legislature is involved with it.

Exactly, but I would simply say state government in general. The project would have been further along already had Sanford not stuck his neck into to fray, wanting the proceeds of the sale to go into the general fund rather than to the mental health commission.

I can't imagine how any other plan for that site that doesn't include New Urbanism-type development would be feasible or even profitable.

I realize it's only a possibility that the new urban design will be scrapped... but I have to say, if this site is developed in some other way, I will be absolutely disgusted. I don't even know if I could still live in Columbia if our leaders allow the ball to be dropped on something like this.

It would be disappointing if the Duany plan didn't come to fruition, but I don't really know how much the city can control what happens there, other than by enforcing zoning regulations. I hope the DMH grows up and realizes that the plan is important to the city and the state and it would be preferable to have the entire development together than to have 3 separate uses.

^The more likely scenario would be akin to the Canalside site--it would take forever to have something happen, but it would be the right thing.

I think it's almost certain that no matter how it plays out, residential and office space will be part of the project. But in what fashion it gets built might be another question. If it's a mega-sized replica of Whaley Row, I would puke.

^The more likely scenario would be akin to the Canalside site--it would take forever to have something happen, but it would be the right thing.

I think it's almost certain that no matter how it plays out, residential and office space will be part of the project. But in what fashion it gets built might be another question. If it's a mega-sized replica of Whaley Row, I would puke.

Please don't even say that, Krazee. I hope it doesn't take as long to get off the ground as Canalside. When I bought my house in 2001 I was still contemplating waiting on Canalside to open - 8 years later that would have become a reality, lol.

I'd say eight years is probably on the low side, but just a little. I think it'd go a lot faster (3 years maybe) if they broke it up into four or five parcels.

Do you think it would be better to get the development started sooner (or at least part of it) or better to follow the entire plan for the site and have to wait longer?

Do you think it would be better to get the development started sooner (or at least part of it) or better to follow the entire plan for the site and have to wait longer?

I really have no opinion one way or the other. Either chice would be fine with me. I think I lean more towards the 'git r done' side.

Edited by Captain Worley