Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

Here is the third rendering:

sketch_3.jpg

Actually I like all three, but for me, I think I'd have to choose the 3rd rendering since it appears as though it attempts to maximize green space.

At any rate, I'm impressed with how the city has jumped on this opportunity so quickly. Wouldn't it be amazing if this project AND CanalSide were going on at the same time? Combine that with everything else going on in the city, and I'd say for a city its size, Columbia would be VERY hard to beat...anywhere.

Edited by krazeeboi

The Bull Street project will be successful and a great thing for Columbia. I personally would like it to become more housing and less retail. My one problem with Columbia is a lack of center city. You have the Vista, Canal Side, Devine, 5pts, Sandhills, Main Street, & now Bull Street all trying to bring a city center atmosphere where you can stroll along and go shop, eat, and be entertained. My question is, can all Columbia be a city? or just a spread out metropolitan area? I would love for Columbia to be a nice little southern city like Charleston but just don't see a central base. Just some food for thought. I just don't think the elected officials in Columbia have a true vision for this city. However, I hope and feel we will succeed in spite of them!

Here is the third rendering:

At any rate, I'm impressed with how the city has jumped on this opportunity so quickly. Wouldn't it be amazing if this project AND CanalSide were going on at the same time? Combine that with everything else going on in the city, and I'd say for a city its size, Columbia would be VERY hard to beat...anywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Producing a bunch of renderings doesn't impress me. I have seen renderings of Canalside since the early '90s, or was it the late '80s. Let me see some construction, then I will be impressed.

The only reason this opportunity even exists is because the Governor wanted the state to cash-out on an unproductive asset. The city has long been aware of the potential of this site, but did little to make it reality until Governor Sanford said "sell it".

It does appear that the private sector is taking more of the lead on this than the city, which bodes well for its success. The city needs to finish what it started on Canalside, the Vista, Main ST. and 5 pts. It's plate is full.

Too optimistic? Not at all. The city has alot going on but that's good it's growing and developing accordingly and taking advantage of opportunity. It in a sense is making an effort to become a "creative class/ new urbanism/ new south city, but that's just my thoughts.

Columbia still has some things to work on but it has really dusted itself off and put it's best foot forward over the past few years or so.

Yesterday afternoon I drove through the old Bull Street hospital property.

What a magnificent opportunity for Columbia!

One of the suggestions the architect had was for the Babcock building to used as city hall. I couldn't agree more. The building is not only historic; it has the potential of being beautiful and it is huge!

The city should take over that one building, place ALL of the cities offices in that structure and lease out the balance of the building as office space. The money raised from rents would no doubt cover all the expenses of maintaining the facility plus make a profit for Columbia. An additional perk would be to have the room for expanding city hall and/or offices as the need arises.

I think the developing the Bull St. property within reason is perfectly acceptable. My fear is that someone will decide that it is a good idea to develop it along retail lines which sounds like a disaster in the making to me--as if traffic along Bull St. and Elmwood could be made any worse than it already is. Any word on some of the possible uses of that property?

My question is, can all Columbia be a city? or just a spread out metropolitan area?  I would love for Columbia to be a nice little southern city like Charleston but just don't see a central base. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^ can you clarify this? ^^

-----------------------------------

It is definately a good thing that the private sector is arranging this. As we have all said at one point or another- Columbia needs to stop playing developer. It got things started, and its a great start. If Columbia will continue to focus on the aethietics like Lady St or Main St, it will more than do its part.

Man... guys, I just wrote this big long post and the some crazy Windows thing cause me to loose it. Soooo bummed. It was an awesome presentation. I just don't have time to retype everything right now. The State has a story about it today. I'll be back to fill in the blanks with the cool stuff later. Did anyone else go last night?

Man... guys, I just wrote this big long post and the some crazy Windows thing cause me to loose it. Soooo bummed. It was an awesome presentation. I just don't have time to retype everything right now. The State has a story about it today. I'll be back to fill in the blanks with the cool stuff later. Did anyone else go last night?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking forward to hearing your report. This is very exciting that the project seems to be on such a fast track and involves such a high caliber of professional expertise. Given the extremely fast progress on this project, why can't the same project structure be applied to the old CCI property? Its sat vacant for years now, and progress seems to be at a standstill. My memory of the final proposals put forward for CCI was that none were particularly exciting or innovative, and, if memory serves, one was a horrible waste of prime location real estate.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Does anyone think that with this grand project under way, less focus will be given to the revitilization of the Main Street area, particularly any residential developments in the future?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion no. I think it will bring more of a critical mass downtown which will be good for Main St and everywhere else. If they have a couple thousand people living that close to city center, they are a lot more likely to go to Main St for events, dining, art museum, etc... instead of the people who live in Irmo, Lexington, NE, who stay in there own areas. With more activity, more life, it will continue to generate excitement to the city center. It also greatly increases the amount of people living downtown which will give national retailers more of a reason to locate downtown.

Yeah, it will catalyze storefronts on Main St and bring some retail and services back downtown. I didnt go to the unveiling, but I attended a couple of sessions last week. They specifically kept the amount of retail in the development propotionally low in hopes to spur adjacent commercial infill. He said that basic needs would be met, but extravagent shopping would be elsewhere. The only exception would be the proposed movie theater, but I don't know if that made it to the final plan or not.

Andres Duany is a riot. He took valid criticisms to heart and really went off the vibe of those concerned. The whole planning effort exceeded my expectations.

Emerging, or anyone else who went on Monday: Did Andres ever close on how long he thought the development would take to complete or sell out? Last week he was saying 15 years because he was under the impression that the Columbia real estate market is very slow. Others said it would be much faster, and that he was underestimating demand. Was there any clarification or further speculation during the unveiling?

Heck, I'd be glad to see ONE taller building....actually a new tallEST.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too krazeeboi. Columbia is a beautiful city but lacks an impressive skyline. I hate the fact that USC will be destroying the old Radisson Hotel building....it is probably the best example of tacky, 1950s, generic, utilitarian architecture in midtown Columbia.

I like the Bull Street layout that had the diagional boulevard. I'd anchor that puppy witha 50 story drop-dead georgeous apartment building.

Me too krazeeboi.  Columbia is a beautiful city but lacks an impressive skyline.  I hate the fact that USC will be destroying the old Radisson Hotel building....it is probably the best example of tacky, 1950s, generic, utilitarian architecture in midtown Columbia.

I like the Bull Street layout that had the diagional boulevard.  I'd anchor that puppy witha 50 story drop-dead georgeous apartment building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, man... I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most of you guys! :) I'd much rather have quality density than impressive height. And I think if we do add more height in the future it should be concentrated in city center.

And I see your point, but I must say that the Carolina Plaza is truly assy. No offense, of course. :) I have odd architectural taste myself, so I'm one to talk. hehe.