Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

I'd like to see an ultra modern development. Why does everything have to "look" historic?

Righ on waccamatt! Historic is important, however, it can definately be over done. It is time for something in Columbia to be futuristic! Whether it is the Bull Street development or a new high rise (and I don't mean 10 stories), Columbia NEEDS something that is unique, arcitecturally sugnificant, totally 'out there' and preferably tall.

Righ on waccamatt! Historic is important, however, it can definately be over done. It is time for something in Columbia to be futuristic! Whether it is the Bull Street development or a new high rise (and I don't mean 10 stories), Columbia NEEDS something that is unique, arcitecturally sugnificant, totally 'out there' and preferably tall.

But not so tall that it will stick up by itself for years, and not so "out there" that it is totally out of character for the city. For now I'd say 35 floors in the right spot would be the most appropriate height, and the design should recall some of the city's best existing architecture while pushing the envelope without being too provoking.

I agree a new highrise shouldn't be ridiculously taller than the next tallest building, but something radical wouldn't be so bad, IMO. I'd take the big Gherkin from London, or the Turning Torso, for instance!

I guess I fall between you and Corgimatt. I definately do not want to look like Charlotte's building twice the height of the rest of the city. 30 to 35 floors would be nice; but anything taller than 40 would be totally out of place.

As far as architecture, I'd hate to see anything built that would make us a laughing stock. ie gherkings and torsos. What I have in mind is something that is cutting edge like F. Lloyd Wright was in the 30's. Something special that can lead the way in inovation.

Right On! :yahoo: How many time and ways must Columbia (SC) prove to the world that we are still stuck in the past! :cry: To me it just defeats the point of building something new!

That depends on what "ultra modern" means though. There's playing off historic architectural styles, and then there's mimicing existing buildings. I like a solid modern building (like Hearst Tower in Charlotte) but I don't like the "modern" or "international" style buldings (like the Richland County Juducial Center).

Right On! :yahoo: How many time and ways must Columbia (SC) prove to the world that we are still stuck in the past! :cry: To me it just defeats the point of building something new!

Haven't you heard that everything old is new again? :P

I do hope the next highrise in Columbia is something shiny, with lots of glass and steel BUT will age gracefully. Don't know if it's possible to have both, but that's what I would like to see.

I am a big fan of regional architectural styles. I don't like seeng the same crap everywhere. That is boring. Thats why I don't like suburbia. Our historic architecture should be accented in our current bulidings so that we can maintain a distinct architectural style.

Good point. Columbia seems to be infatuated with brick (and red or dark red brick in particular), so why not build something to compliment that.

I never implied that they did. All you have to do is look at the ones in Spartanburg and Greenville.

Here are a couple recent additions to downtown Greenville. They show the effectiveness of good design even though they are above ground. I'll have to get pics of a couple others with nice architectural design. :shades:

91229927_143b4f36c3.jpg

91232155_e38da9aecf.jpg

65715904_5a41d73f54.jpg

Photos taken by RestedTraveler