Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

Here are a couple recent additions to downtown Greenville. They show the effectiveness of good design even though they are above ground. I'll have to get pics of a couple others with nice architectural design. :shades:

Photos taken by RestedTraveler

I think an SC parking garges thread is in order.

Good point. Columbia seems to be infatuated with brick (and red or dark red brick in particular), so why not build something to compliment that.

I'd say that the Vista has an infatuation with brick, but I don't think it's that evident beyond there. I guess its because many of the existing historical buildings that were renovated were built of brick. But I don't want to see EVERYTHING downtown with a brick facade. I mean, I know it's classic, but come on.

There's an article in Businessweek online today that talks about the Bull Street type of developement..."cities within cities". It's kind of interesting, so thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/conte...d=aol_townships

Good article, but I think it failed to mention some key criticisms/disadvantages to many new urbanist developments, such as racial/economic homogeneity. There's also an editorial in today's edition of The State that speaks of how the Bull Street project could potentially affect the neighboring Celia Saxon homes project in terms of rising property values.

It's a double edged sword, isn't it? For those that buy homes in the project, rapid appreciation without a limit on taxes will force them to possibly move because they can't afford the taxes. On the other hand, they would make a tidy profit on the home. Unfortunately, these are some of the problems with a capitalist free market economy. I'm afraid I don't have an answer just yet.

LOL, it certainly is within walking distance of the residents of Saxon though.

I'm not a big fan of the Saxon Project. It's only a matter of time before it turns into what it once was 7 years ago. A crime invested, urban disaster.

If they do with Saxon what they did with Jaggers on Barmhamville Road, then they'll have a success story on their hands.

Yeah, those homes are going to go down hill in a couple of years again im sure

Some of them are home ownership homes and the rest are under the Columbia Housing Authority. CHA has an excellent track record of keeping its properties up. Thus the demolition of the outdated ones the new ones replaced. Trouble makers and property damagers (other than ordinary wear and tear) don't last long in CHA housing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news about the hold-up regarding this project. Here's a snippet from The State that details the progress:

Just days after Ways and Means Chairman Dan Cooper introduced a bill to let the Department of Mental Health keep the money from the sale of the State Hospital, he offered a budget proviso that does the same thing. The House passed it on a voice vote, without debate. If the Senate goes along, this should end a potentially costly lawsuit and clear the way for the largest and most important new development in downtown Columbia in decades. It also brings our state a tiny step closer to meeting its obligation to care for those who are unable to care for themselves.

I'm glad the money is going where it is supposed to go, and that this project can finally proceed.

• 2 months later...

I don't know how long this has been online, but I haven't noticed before... The Bull Street neighborhood has a website. If you did not attend the meeting I would encourage you to read the full 12-page transcript of Duany's final presentation. My wife and I went and it such an awesome talk. It's a shame they don't have it on video.

Edited by emerging.me