Columbia Meetup

emerging.me

I know some of the other Urban Planet cities do this... the four or five of us here in town should try to get together some weeknight at Jammin' Java or something.

We've had some really great discussion going lately. I appreciate the time you guys put into making this a neat little community. There's no other place online that I know of, since the Free Times shut down their boards, where these kind of discussions about Columbia development are going on.

Good stuff.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had some really great discussion going lately.  I appreciate the time you guys put into making this a neat little community.  There's no other place online that I know of, since the Free Times shut down their boards, where these kind of discussions about Columbia development are going on. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know of none other than here. I didn't even know about the one at teh free times (too late now I suppose). I also appriciate everyone's effort and participation in this section (as well as others of course). I was once the lone poster in this section :) Heck, 6 or 7 months ago this section didn't even exist, so I think we are making good progress.

You can talk about Cola or Greenville at SSP or where ever with some of those guys, but the threads get lost in the rest of the massive amounts of Atlanta crap they always have.

I'm in.  I'm a noob here, but a longtime member on the "other forums" and have met many other forumers.  So you can ask them, I'm pretty cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, its ok- you can say "SSP" here ;)

I was a member there for while as "Spartanburger" before I came here. I still post there occasionally.

Just to stay on topic here... I'd really like to officially form a group and start monthly meetings or something. We could just catch up on all the latest projects and urban news, but I think it'd be cool to do some sort of downtown service project once the group was formed... working with the Historical Society or Keep the Midlands Beautiful or something like that. Just throwing that out there. I also think we could get some decent "guests" to come in and talk with us every couple of months -- like people from local organizations like the Columbia Development Corporation, 3 Rivers Greenway, City Center Partnership, etc.

Well I think I might be having company around that time, or I'd definitely be there! (that is, if you don't mind a site newbie). If the out of town company isn't coming until later in the week, then I think I can make it. I won't commit to anything until I figure out how things are going to shape up. I'm interested though.

Just to stay on topic here... I'd really like to officially form a group and start monthly meetings or something. We could just catch up on all the latest projects and urban news, but I think it'd be cool to do some sort of downtown service project once the group was formed... working with the Historical Society or Keep the Midlands Beautiful or something like that. Just throwing that out there. I also think we could get some decent "guests" to come in and talk with us every couple of months -- like people from local organizations like the Columbia Development Corporation, 3 Rivers Greenway, City Center Partnership, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd also be interested in this idea... monthly meetings, project, etc. Sounds like a good idea to me!

BTW, I've asked Fred Delk (Columbia Development Corporation) to come talk with us if we ever do get together. I think we could easily get Matt Kennell (City Center Partnership) also, as well as Mike Dawson with the River Alliance. Just throwing that out there. Richland Co. Councilwoman Kit Smith would also probably come talk with us. I think it'd be cool.

Archived