Which Rail Line Should Charlotte Build Next?

monsoon

Which Rail Line Should Charlotte Build Next?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rail Line Should Charlotte Build Next?

• University - Light Rail
    • North - Commuter Rail Line
    • South East - Bus Rapid Transit
    • West - Bus Rapid Trasit
    • East Streetcar Line
    • Downtown Streetcar Circulator
    • Commuter Rail to Rock Hill
    • Other not planned (explain)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any predictions?

My thoughts are that the East-West streetcar goes up for Small Starts (per FTA's advice) and the NorthEast extension of the Blue Line goes up for New Starts.

I suspect the extra 5 years will be used through some sort of financing scheme to apply more local money to near term projects. For example, I expect to see borrowing off of future proceeds in order to build the North line locally within the next few years.

The SE and the West line will be pushed way out.

My thoughts:

NE LRT Line will be submitted to the FTA for New Starts Preliminary Engineering in 2007.

Center City Streetcar will be submitted to FTA for Small Starts Preliminary Engineering in 2007 or 2008.

West Line Enhanced bus is implemented in 2007.

South Line BRT/LRT decision in 2011.

North Line Phase 1 starts construction in 2008.

Ron Tober came to Raleigh to speak at a transit forum this week and he had outlined which routes would qualify for which federal funding ( ie small starts or new starts) However my mind isn't very good at remembering but I believe Uptownliving has the first two predictions right in his post above according to what i can remember was on Tober's Powerpoint.

The announcements on the upcoming meetings on the revised 2030 plan. It appears that if you don't want to bother with going downtown and don't have cable, you can watch the meeting on the internet.

PRESENTATION of the Revised 2030 Transit Corridor System Plan

• Date: October 25, 2006

• Time: 5:30 p.m.

• Location: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, Council Chamber (1st floor) 600 East Fourth Street, Charlotte

PUBLIC HEARING on the Revised 2030 Transit Corridor System Plan

• Date: November 15, 2006

• Time: 5:00 p.m.

• Location: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, Council Chamber (1st floor) 600 East Fourth Street, Charlotte

These meetings will broadcast LIVE on The Government Channel, Cable 16 (Time Warner Cable) and may also be viewed on the Internet by visiting www.charmeck.org and clicking on "View City Council Meeting."

Archived