TallySheet

bobliocatt

Here is a link to the Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce that have some cool pictures of the planned development for downtown.

Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Action 2010

The pics of the Plaza confirm what I thought regarding its placement. That is one nice looking highrise. :)

Edited by blackcoffee&bourbon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a website that details one of the up and coming areas of Tallahassee, the All Saints/Railroad/Gaines District. It is a collection of funky shops and independently owned restaurants.

Railroad & Gaines

There is a lot more development planned in the area. Plans include a new hotel (not the Marriott project) on the corner of Gaines and Railroad in addition to the broader Gaines Street Revitalization.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the deal with construction on the Tennyson? It hasn't changed in months and the suspense is killing me!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have built five floors so far. I believe those were for parking, so now they'll start on the living spaces. I have got to take my camera in the car with me and take some updated pics... maybe this weekend.

Developer seeks approval for new downtown condos

Another out-of-state developer has targeted downtown Tallahassee for the site of a new condominium project.

ADAR Developer Group, from South Florida, is in the final stages of getting approval for a $20 million, 80-unit condo development near the Florida State University music school.

The 10-story building, Symphony Project, will also have a bottom floor for retail and restaurant space. The developers said they have had their eyes on downtown for two years, monitoring the city's growth and economic development plans.

The group is also working on a second, even larger mixed-use development, about a half-mile away from the Symphony Project. Mayor John Marks believes this new development, along with several projects already underway, shows that the city is being noticed for its potential evolution as a prime location to settle down for professionals.

For the full story, read tomorrow's Tallahassee Democrat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

10 stories isn't nothing to write home about, but for Tallahassee this is breaking news.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER :thumbsup:

I'm going back home to Maryland in a couple of days so I am going to try and take and post a few pics of Tally and its projects before I leave. If anyone is going to be around during the summer that would be really cool if you could take some pics every now and then cause these developments are reall exciting. I have a feeling that a lot is going to be changed in the next 3-4 months.

I was just channel surfing and I passed by a local Tallahassee station and sure enough it was the city commission meeting regarding the development of the condos adjacent to FSU's campus. This is such a tough debate because it's great for the city of Tally, but it is going to be such a shock for life at FSU. As a student of the university, I would hate to see a 10-story condo in this particular part of campus. The buildings and sorority houses in the surroundings are all low and relevant to historic architecture. The atmosphere is currently great because it combines the traditional brick architecture with the many surrounding trees and it's mostly laid back. If a giant condo (giant for the situation) is built here, traffic and population will significantly increase and an essential part of the campus will be forever lost.  It's hard to let go of this, but it looks like urban sprawl is the fate of the city. What are your opinions?

Lex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't consider this urban sprawl, but Urban Renewal. FSU and Tallahassee will be better for these two projects. FSU just doesn't want to admit it.

I'm going back home to Maryland in a couple of days so I am going to try and take and post a few pics of Tally and its projects before I leave. If anyone is going to be around during the summer that would be really cool if you could take some pics every now and then cause these developments are reall exciting. I have a feeling that a lot is going to be changed in the next 3-4 months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just found this site, but I am a major source of information for any projects downtown or anywhere else in Tallahassee for that matter. It feels like I've hit the jackpot!!!! Seriuosly, I didn't know there were so many others out there interested in this stuff. I must add, however, Cityboy has truly saved me alot of time. In searching for the web address for the Symphony I stumbled across this site, which led me to CityBoy's link, which led me to writing this. Thanks man. If you all want pictures of the Village I have a black/white copy that I can scan. Its hard to get pictures for these ADAR projects because of the pending litigation. But its good to finally have this place to hang out at. Thanks! :D

I'll also do what I can to try to keep everyone up on the progress of the Tennyson, Tallahassee Center, and Plaza Tower also. As of now, Groundbreaking for the 23 level plaza tower is slated for mid-May (next month). It's 3 Penthouse units were on the market 30 minutes before they completely sold out. Shows how hot the Tallahassee market is. One reason I love this city is it has a lot of growing to do, and there will be much more of this excitement to talk about for some time.

I haven't seen much discussion here about the community's efforts to produce a state of the art Performing Arts Center. As many of you may already know, Tallahassee is the only Capital City in the United States of America (had to emphasize this) that does not have a performing arts center. The addition of a performing arts center to our landscape will do wonders for this city. The price tag ranges from $113-180 Million, outch!!! Sounds bad, but the Civic Center would have cost $100 Million if it were built in today's dollars.

Keep your eyes on Southwood

Edited by TaureanJ

Hey. I joined urbanplanet the Apr.28 2005. So I am fairly new to urbanplanet. I am only 15yrs of age but i love my city. I keep track of what's going on around here. I strongly feel that Tallahassee's name would not only be on the map, but it's name bolded. Lol. I to was wondering about the performing arts center in the capital city. Last i heard they are still looking for a place to put it. They are suppose to announce the site this summer. So hopefully by then we will have more info.

Good news,

There is another downtown condo project that is going to take place. This one is going to be 5 stories and will include underground parking. Developers are really eyeing Tallahassee. That is a real good thing. It's things like this that makes my day even more pleasant. :D:D:D:D

For more info read the Tallahassee Democrat:

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/11545662.htm

Good news,

There is another downtown condo project that is going to take place. This one is going to be 5 stories and will include underground  parking. Developers are really eyeing Tallahassee. That is a real good thing. It's things like this that makes my day even more pleasant. :D  :D  :D  :D

For more info read the Tallahassee Democrat: 

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/11545662.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, Indeed! I couldn't have said it better myself. I went out for a stroll today to take some pictures of some of these project sites and I must say they are in some very prime, high profile locations. Each of which I can see spurring a neighboring lot into another project. Truly when people begin to live in an area, there is no stopping developers from wanting to sell them something.

Think about... :whistling:

The Tennyson, our first condominium, will probably offer a ground floor grocery market, hopefully a small Publix. Residents will be able to walk right outside and enjoy the Chain of Parks (COPs). Any children living here would probably benifit from being able to attend Leon High School, the state's oldest, located just a block behind the building. Access to the roads is premier with Monroe (27) west of the building, and Hwy 90 just north of it. Looking ahead I can see attorneys enjoying the use of this building as the Federal Courthouse is directly across the street from it. There will likely be another High Rise neighbor near the Tennyson on the SW Corner of Tennessee and Monroe where the project trailor currently sits. With a name like Tennyson, who wouldn't respect this as a quality address.

.... The Tallahassee Center, currently under construction, and Kleman Tower, breaking ground this month, are both moving along at a rather rapid pace. It is my personal opinion that the Tallahassee Center building being developed by Gameday Centers Inc. and its future neightbor The Kleman Tower will be the best addresses in Florida. Best in a since that they have so much right there on the plaza and immediately around them. Think about the greens on Kleman, there is a yard for anyone who ever lived in a highrise building and wanted grass that they didn't have to cut. The post office directly north, the IMAX theatre on the same property, two museums on the same property, a business neighbor (The Florida League of Cities Headquarters) that would offer any retail establishment in either building a wonderful segement of professional customers. First Baptist church, just across the street is not only a place of worship but a great daycare center for parents with young kids in need of afterschool and summercamp care. Being directly behind the Capitol and City Hall puts these two buildings in the thick of all things government, local and state, and being directly beside the Florida Supreme Court and directly in front of the Distict Court of Appeals, and the FSU Law School puts these properties in the thick of all things law. Sure these properties are going at a pretty penny, but in a location like this, you are sure to save money in travel, and time, which will more than make up for the money spent especially for time-poor professionals. Downtown Tallahassee living, is starting to sound very interesting!

Although there are 6 other downtown condo/hotel proposals, I want to talk about the Civic Center hotel project.

It was supposed to be the first of many new buildings in our Urban Core renewal, but has suffered setback after setback namely at the hands of a developer who truly doesn't seem to be serious about building anything. The project should have been COMPLETED years ago, but has yet to even turn soil. An Embassy Suites was propsed around the same time, to be even nicer than the Marriott, but the city and county was behind the Marriott because of the agreement/contract signed with Tom Strauss the "non-developer".

We need to stop waisting time and find a group willing to actually build something.

Wow, Tally is really exploding downtown. I haven't visited in a couple years so I guess I need to get out there and check everything out.

Thanks for keeping everyone posted TaureanJ.

Kleman Tower sounds like a great place to live. Its right in the middle of everything.

Has the Mayor had anything to do with the hold ups on the Civic Center project?