TallySheet

bobliocatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn I drove that route from Palm Beach County about a month ago. We noticed that gas prices in the Cheifland-Perry corridor were just about the same as gas prices in Palm Beach County which typically has some of the state's highest gas prices. Those gas prices in that Nature Coast corridor dropped when you hit Ocala/Marion to the South and Tally/Leon to the North. I wonder what makes the Nature Coast so high? Is it low demand since those areas are sparsely population and see less travelers since there's no interstate or are the gas taxes high in the area like in PBC?

I'm about to go to SF/NorCal in 2 weeks, can't wait to see what the prices will be like there. Out there was the first time I saw gas for $3 bucks in the states and we really thought at the time that was crazy. Now I'm sure on this trip we'll see as a common occurrence our first $4 gas prices.

Glenn I drove that route from Palm Beach County about a month ago. We noticed that gas prices in the Cheifland-Perry corridor were just about the same as gas prices in Palm Beach County which typically has some of the state's highest gas prices. Those gas prices in that Nature Coast corridor dropped when you hit Ocala/Marion to the South and Tally/Leon to the North. I wonder what makes the Nature Coast so high? Is it low demand since those areas are sparsely population and see less travelers since there's no interstate or are the gas taxes high in the area like in PBC?

I'm about to go to SF/NorCal in 2 weeks, can't wait to see what the prices will be like there. Out there was the first time I saw gas for $3 bucks in the states and we really thought at the time that was crazy. Now I'm sure on this trip we'll see as a common occurrence our first $4 gas prices.

^ Driving around this morning I was amazed at the difference in the gas prices around town. In my brief travel I noticed that Sams Club was $3.44, Gate was $3.59, COSTCO was $3.51, & Circle K was $3.65...CRAZY! :wacko:

^ Driving around this morning I was amazed at the difference in the gas prices around town. In my brief travel I noticed that Sams Club was $3.44, Gate was $3.59, COSTCO was $3.51, & Circle K was $3.65...CRAZY! :wacko:

^ I realize that Sam's & Costco are subsidized for their members & that Circle K & Gate are within 6 cents of one another (at the moment anyway)...I was just sharing my observations of the drastic differences in the price per gallon that people are paying for the same product at the various locations. :)

Price per barrel of oil must have dropped

Quite the opposite. If you look at the current cost of a barrel of oil the prices are delayed a bit to market so prices will continue to increase for a few more weeks to reach the current price per barrel (~$123). In fact, the local station that I get gas at (cheapest one too) just raised their price per gallon by $0.07 overnight. My car requires premium so the price now is $3.89. I expect to be paying over $4.00 in the next 2-3 weeks. In fact, I would suspect that regular (87) gas will average above $4.00 within the next couple of months due to the current cost for oil.

Quite the opposite. If you look at the current cost of a barrel of oil the prices are delayed a bit to market so prices will continue to increase for a few more weeks to reach the current price per barrel (~$123). In fact, the local station that I get gas at (cheapest one too) just raised their price per gallon by $0.07 overnight. My car requires premium so the price now is $3.89. I expect to be paying over $4.00 in the next 2-3 weeks. In fact, I would suspect that regular (87) gas will average above $4.00 within the next couple of months due to the current cost for oil.

Do you really need premium for your car? I know some car manufacturers recommend it for their vehicles, but I read somewhere that oftentimes, regular works just fine.

Yes, my car *REQUIRES* premium. I know there are many cars that recommend premium fuel but run just fine on regular, unfortunately it specifically states in the manual (and on the inside of the gas tank door) to use premium fuel only.

I agree though, if your car doesn't absolutely require it then by all means use regular as almost all of today's engines will run just fine on regular fuel and you're just throwing your money away by buying premium.

^ Yes poonther, Sam's Club gas is usually less than Wal-Mart/Murphy...sometimes by a lot...other times by only by a little. I've never seen Wal-Mart/Murphy priced less than Sam's. This morning Sam's Club was up to $3.55, Murphy/Wal-Mart was $3.59, Gate was at $3.63 & Circle K was $3.65. Yesterday, COSTCO was at $3.54 but who knows what it could be up to today. I'll have to check but I think oil hit $124 a barrel earlier today so hang on folks! :cry:

Edited to correct oil pricing: Actually, Oil closed at $123.69 today to be exact.

Edited by Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, what happens if you tried to run on regular? Does a voice come out of the car like Hal's from "2001: A Space Odyssey" and says, "I'm sorry but I can't let you do that." :rolleyes:

Well no, no voice obviously, but you can do harm to an engine if the owner's manual clearly states that it requires (not to be confused with recommends) premium gas. Running regular grade gas in an engine requiring premium will result in the timing of the engine being reduced to compensate for the pre-mature detonation and pinging. I'm sure a tank or two of regular wouldn't cause harm, but over the long haul this causes deposits since the gas isn't being burned as completely as it would if burned at the higher temps that premium gas allows.

I will also say that you will suffer fuel efficiency by using regular gas in an engine that requires premium fuel so the savings you're getting at the pump do not carry over so why bother in the first place?

This article explains octane if you're interested: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...