TallySheet

bobliocatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for all: Do you all think it would be nice to keep a daily, weekly, bi-weekly photo shot of the projects ongoing... I've been taking pictures randomly... but I wouldn't mind doing it at regularly scheduled intervals.

I think weekly or bi-weekly photos of ongoing projects would be great.

It would be a nice way to give visual updates on the projects going on around Tallahasse.

Just an off topic thought...

Do we need to start to use the forum to criticize the City? Just curious.

I'm personally turned off by the increase in negativity, as I see nothing productive in simply being negative in light of so much productive change downtown and all throughout the city.

I know Tallahassee isn't perfect, what city is? I think there are tons of great things to say about her... I wish others would see more of her good side.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

It's great t have a lot of optimism for the city, TJ.

However, I like having some cynicism to balance things out and bring some egos back down to earth. As long as it's not outright bashing (like someone saying "Tallahassee sucks"...you could at least have more class than that), I don't see much of a problem with some negativity around here.

I myself enjoy being optimisitic about Atlanta, but I also like hearing some of the other forumers' cynicism for the development because it is another side of the opinion that it isn't necessarily wrong for having.

do you ever feel overwhelmed by the "cynicism"... I also enjoy the other side of the coin, but sometimes it comes with awful timing.

Oh yeah, quite a few times. I try to provide a bit of the good side when I can in return, but sometimes I just let it sink in because they may have a very valid point.

Like you I always like to look at the good side... its hard for me to see the bad in anything really...but often things will be going well, and suddenly out of the blue clear sky complaints pour in... no bad news to spark them, they just pour in. I guess being a college student in Tallahassee has made me more protective of her seeing as how so many college students who come here from else where feel the need to bash... that when I feel as if something is headed in that direction I go into defense mode.

You're right, some of the negativity is valid... and when supported with facts I will accept it. Often St Joe makes very good points, while they are sometimes negative on Tallahassee in my view, they necessary eye-openers and get me to thinking.

Other times however, I've been faced with "this sucks and that sucks", just because someone comes from a another place where something is done differently.

You're right, some of the negativity is valid... and when supported with facts I will accept it. Often St Joe makes very good points, while they are sometimes negative on Tallahassee in my view, they necessary eye-openers and get me to thinking.

This is the stuff I like. teshadoh makes some very good points in the Atlanta forum with his cynicism.

Other times however, I've been faced with "this sucks and that sucks", just because someone comes from a another place where something is done differently.

This is the stuff that I don't like. Nothing constructive can come from it, so I hate seeing people act like this.

Like you I always like to look at the good side... its hard for me to see the bad in anything really...but often things will be going well, and suddenly out of the blue clear sky complaints pour in... no bad news to spark them, they just pour in. I guess being a college student in Tallahassee has made me more protective of her seeing as how so many college students who come here from else where feel the need to bash. As soon as someone comes down on her for no clear reason I grow puzzled.

It's kinda how a parent treats a child. No parent likes to see their kids not doing as well as the other kids in the class, or being bullied.

You're right, some of the negativity is valid... and when supported with facts I will accept it. Often St Joe makes very good points, while they are sometimes negative on Tallahassee in my view, they serve as eye-openers and get me to thinking, "hmm maybe he's right". I've changed my views many times because of him.

Other times however, I've been faced with "this sucks and that sucks", just because someone comes from a another place where something is done different.

Edited by TaureanJ

Hey T.J. I think regular updates would be grand!

On the negative comment thing, I think that opposing viewpoints are needed.....HOWEVER there is always a right and wrong way to say them. Saying something like "this sucks" or "your opinion is wrong/stupid/silly/dumb etc. is NOT the way to say things. You can always have an opposing viewpoint, but you should always know how to phrase it correctly and politely. That is the best way to have it heard and to create a good dialogue.

Often times I find on message boards that some people come into them just to stir up trouble. I generally try to ignore those types.

On people saying that Tally sucks. Just ignore them. You know how you feel about it and how many others feel about it. So don't sweat what they say. I don't like when people say that Tally sucks compared to Orlando or Tampa or South Florida. In my opinion that is like comparing apples and oranges. Tally has a metro area of only 330K while those areas are from 1 million to 5 million. Of course Tally can't compare to them because of the size factor...duh! Also I've lived many years in South Florida and Orlando and they too have several problems of their own. No place is perfect. Keep up the cheerleading there T.J.!

TaureanJ,

I agree that simply saying something sucks is not productive.

But often what is 'negative' is in the eye of the beholder. Often on this board someone will say "I am glad Tally is building more, because it isn't developed enough" or something like that. That could be construed (sp?) as negative by those who are anti-development. But those that are pro development think it is just fine for example.

Just a thought.

Again you two are the voices of reason. I need to grow another layer of skin. Apples and Oranges is the thing and no community is perfect.

At City Hall we practice optimism when it comes to Tallahassee. No one wants to bring thier business, jobs, their money or themselves to a community that doesn't think the best of itself.

I was sitting in class the other day, reading a Homes & Lands magizine when the young man next to me looks over my shoulder and says "Tallahassee sucks. This city sucks, it's the trashiest city I've ever been too... I don't understand why anyone would want to build these condos here." Not expecting him to say that, I simply had to igore him... I wasn't prepared to combat that.

I thought I was a voice of reason, too ;)

I was sitting in class the other day, reading a Homes & Lands magizine when the young man next to me looks over my shoulder and says "Tallahassee sucks. This city sucks, it's the trashiest city I've ever been too... I don't understand why anyone would want to build these condos here." Not expecting him to say that, I simply had to igore him... I wasn't prepared to combat that.

Probably best you did that. People with opinions like that don't have much of a chance of being swayed, so I'd just let them keep that opinion to themselves. There's always going to be someone like that.

About city hall, it's always good to have an image of being a city that thinks the best of itself. Chances are, the businesses also already know the good and bad parts of moving to a city anyways, so you might as well make it seem like the best environment possible.

Hey Everyone!!

Sorry I've been a bit absent lately... lots going on with school and work right before the big holiday. I'll try my best to stay on top of the latest news, and happenings going on around, and I'll try to make sure I'm engaged in what you all want to discuss as well.

Just wanted all to know I haven't gone anywhere... I'm just extra busy these days!!

Vacation is coming soon!!

YAY!

Seminole Fight Song

DSCF1232.jpg

We're gonna Fight Fight Fight for F-S-U

We gotta Scalp'm Seminoles

We're gonna Win Win Win Win - Win this Game

and roll on down and make those Goals

For F-S-U is on the war path now

And at the battle end she's great!

So Fight Fight Fight Fight to victory,

the Seminoles of Florida State!!

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E,

FLORIDA STATE, FLORIDA STATE, FLORIDA STATE

:yahoo: WHOO!!! :yahoo:

Today a call came in early this morning saying a City Vehicle had been involved in a car accident and that the driver of the other car was dead. This got me to thinking, in this city of about 170,000 we have far too many traffic related fatalities. What could the problem be?

It is without a doubt that driving on the streets of Tallahassee can frustrate the heck out of anyone. Stop and go traffic gets on my nerves, and unless you do most of your traveling in the northern part of the city, I-10 is of no use. I've always been afriad that our roadways are a liability for this community, these recent traffic fatalities only emphasize this thought.

Could Tallahassee ever overcome this problem with our roads? Is it too late to consider an expressway through the city?

Today a call came in early this morning saying a City Vehicle had been involved in a car accident and that the driver of the other car was dead. This got me to thinking, in this city of about 170,000 we have far too many traffic related fatalities. What could the problem be?

It is without a doubt that driving on the streets of Tallahassee can frustrate the heck out of anyone. Stop and go traffic gets on my nerves, and unless you do most of your traveling in the northern part of the city, I-10 is of no use. I've always been afriad that our roadways are a liability for this community, these recent traffic fatalities only emphasize this thought.

Could Tallahassee ever overcome this problem with our roads? Is it too late to consider an expressway through the city?

I think the wagon wheel layout of the streets have alot to do with it. It is very difficult to get anywhere in Tallahassee without driving though downtown. Most of the downtown traffic rarely stops there. After they get the condo down there, they will need to do something about the traffic.