TallySheet

bobliocatt

I think the wagon wheel layout of the streets have alot to do with it. It is very difficult to get anywhere in Tallahassee without driving though downtown. Most of the downtown traffic rarely stops there. After they get the condo down there, they will need to do something about the traffic.

Yesterday I recieved an invitation to join the Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency (CRTPA) and I applied. I hope things work out because I really want to see something done about our roads in this city... and you're right... our Hub and Spoke design makes it not only difficult for buses to get around but cars as well.

In my mind though, I think there is a way for us to get through this city without using stop and go roads... and the road needs to run North-South through town all the way to HWY 98.

Where is jpl?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I recieved an invitation to join the Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency (CRTPA) and I applied. I hope things work out because I really want to see something done about our roads in this city... and you're right... our Hub and Spoke design makes it not only difficult for buses to get around but cars as well.

In my mind though, I think there is a way for us to get through this city without using stop and go roads... and the road needs to run North-South through town all the way to HWY 98.

Where is jpl?

Here I am :) . It's a cold, wet rainy day and I've been busy with more papers than I know what to do with...

In response, I envision a road that provides a better north-south route through town, that at the same time doubles as a road providing better access to the "lower" Panhandle. My proposal, the "North Florida Greenway" - a freeway from I-10 @ Thomasville to Panama City. I kinda stole the name from the Central Florida Greeneway in Orlando, but that's beside the point ;)

tpk.gif

The freeway would begin at I-10 and Thomasville, and run along an route a la freeway upgrade to Capital Circle NE/SE before turning west toward Panama City, connecting with several major routes along the way, such as US 98, US 319, SR 363, SR 267, SR 65 and SR 71.

It'd most likely have to be a toll road, such as the case for all new freeways in Florida. It'd probably be built and funded through the Florida Turnpike Authority, which operate many toll roads in Florida, not just the Turnpike.

ambitious. It would certainly help in hurricane evacuation and relief for the entire coast line. I think it might be expensive, the apalachicola national forest is quite a obstacle.

I like the spur idea TJ had as a good first step... just a kicker south through our tally to wakulla. I have a random reason for hating everthing panama city right now, but beyond that i cant see a real good reason to connect us other than the safty issues.

Wow that thomasville road exit would be something else if we added a freeway onramp to the tangled mess of 2008!

Expect Increases In Sewage Bills

Affecting Unincorporated Leon County

As on January 1st the city will be charging a 50% sucharge for both water and sewage. "They live to far from where they should be and its expensive to provide them with city services" Says Mr. Rick Fernandez assistant city manager over utilities.

Just another reason to think about what services our dear Leon county provides for us. Consolidation is still very much an issue to me, when I see a government not doing much to improve the lives of its citizens. What does the Leon County Commission do for us other than public libraries and EMS and Sheriff?

Here's the article on the Rate Increase

Edited by TaureanJ

What does the Leon County Commission do for us other than public libraries and EMS and Sheriff?

Actually, what functions the county does is determined by the state. Since counties are subdivisions of the state, the state mandates that counties perform minimal functions, such as the sheriff, tax collector, property appraiser, etc. Beyond that, the county doesn't have to do a darn thing it doesn't want to do. And if it does, it may not have the resources to do so.

I'm biased, but Tallahassee needs a true two-tier "metropolitan" government like Dade County does. Dade County does some functions, the cities do the rest. There is never any conflict over who does what. You never hear about Dade County bickering with the city of Miami.

And the beauty of this set up is - no government consolidation. Let's face it, consolidation will never fly in this town. Contrary to popular belief, Dade County DID NOT merge with the city of Miami, it simply changed its name. With a two-tier government, a lot of problems could be solved.

Dade County ain't perfect, trust me. But it's nowhere near f-ed up as Leon is.

Good points jpl02. I lived in South Florida when Dade and Miami started working as one. It was a very quiet type thing like you said. One day I remember it was Miami and Dade County and then the next day it was Miami-Dade.

I understand that true consolidation is a long uphill battle here for sure. It's been voted down like what 4 times already? But I'd love to see them try it once more since many people from other areas have moved into the area. They aren't as likely to vote against the consolidation just based on the "good ole boy" fearful policy of "well it's always been like this and I fear change...etc etc." I know many in places like Ft. Braden and Woodville are really against consolidation because they are afraid of being swallowed up in Tally and losing their identity. Looks like we could use the Jax model where they give special rights I believe to their beach communities and Baldwin, thus still allowing those areas to keep their separate identities.

Consolidation ain't rocket science. Who in the South are consolidated:

Athens/Clarke County GA

Columbus/Muscogee County GA

Jax/Duval County FL

Nashville/Davidson County TN

Louisville/Jefferson County KY

Those are all I can remember from memory. I want to say New Orleans is too? What about Macon GA? Is Charlotte, NC thinking about it? I am sure there are more I am forgetting.

Anyway I want full consolidation, but if not, I'd gladly take the Miami-Dade hybrid model over the crap we have now.

If Leon County were as proactive and creative as Miami-Dade County I would give up on the notion of consolidation, but the truth of the matter is, we have a county that DOES the minimum required of them. No creative efforts to boost revenues by providing the essential services the people of Leon County need.

Tallahassee is the only incorporated city in Leon County. Miccosukee, Chaires, Capitola, Fort Braden, and Woodville are only community designations, and many of the people in these areas think they live in Tallahassee anyway.

I support consolidation because there is no reason why we shouldn't offer bus service throughout this entire county. There's no reason why the neighborhoods outside of the city limits don't normally have sidewalks and street lights. There's no need for us to have so many different law enforcement agencies with over lapping services, and there is no need for the county and city to fight over every major issue that comes before them.

Face it, the City government is the responsible body in this community, and their good efforts are often overlooked because of the lazy people at the county level. I'm tired of the city of Tallahassee carrying Leon county year after year when it should be the other way around. The city provides us with excellent parks, excellent utilities (regardless of current price, highly dependable), a well established transit system, fire service (which it also provides to county residents), excellent public works and engineering departments (look at BlairStone Road and Park Avenue), look at the work of neighborhood and community services, and we have an award winning Police Department. Look at the assistance the city provides to startup companies such as Digital Canopy (WiFi Network Downtown and at Airport) and now Turbocor.

We need a county government willing to make the same effort to invest in and build up the fabric of this community, and not simply respond to issues after-the-fact.

Good points jpl02. I lived in South Florida when Dade and Miami started working as one. It was a very quiet type thing like you said. One day I remember it was Miami and Dade County and then the next day it was Miami-Dade.

I understand that true consolidation is a long uphill battle here for sure. It's been voted down like what 4 times already? But I'd love to see them try it once more since many people from other areas have moved into the area. They aren't as likely to vote against the consolidation just based on the "good ole boy" fearful policy of "well it's always been like this and I fear change...etc etc." I know many in places like Ft. Braden and Woodville are really against consolidation because they are afraid of being swallowed up in Tally and losing their identity. Looks like we could use the Jax model where they give special rights I believe to their beach communities and Baldwin, thus still allowing those areas to keep their separate identities.

Consolidation ain't rocket science. Who in the South are consolidated:

Athens/Clarke County GA

Columbus/Muscogee County GA

Jax/Duval County FL

Nashville/Davidson County TN

Louisville/Jefferson County KY

Those are all I can remember from memory. I want to say New Orleans is too? What about Macon GA? Is Charlotte, NC thinking about it? I am sure there are more I am forgetting.

Anyway I want full consolidation, but if not, I'd gladly take the Miami-Dade hybrid model over the crap we have now.

To add to that list:

Augusta/Richmond County, GA

New Orleans/Orleans Parish, LA

Lexington/Fayette County, KY

Savannah & Chatam County are well on their way to future consolidation--whether they realize it or not. Macon isn't consolidated and neither is Charlotte, though a Charlotte forumer could fill you in as to why it isn't.

A merged Tallahassee/Leon County government doesn't sound all too bad because the city so dominates what goes on in the county. That's the way most mergers nhappen. A two tier Miami Dade idea isn't so bad either, but a city-county merger seems more appropriate since there isn't much else in the county to oppose it like another incorporated city or community.

Edited by ironchapman

Yo, TJ! I've found someone (two people, actually) who can post more than you can! NCB and Mith have both posted 90+ posts today...a point at which I would say we all need more of a life outside of UP.

I myself don't think I have ever posted over 80 in a day. I have stayed off the radar as of late with school work and such, but I'm out now! Expect to see a lot more of me around!

EDIT: WOW! 2900 posts....has it really been that many since I joined UP!?!

:yahoo:

Edited by ironchapman

^LOL! Its not that I purposely post alot, it just happens sometimes. When the information is coming quickly and the other members are posting frequently and I'm engaged, that happens. Not sure how I've been able to reach 100+ on given days, but I'm assuming that had alot to do with the indexes I created for the local projects... thats the only explaination.

Surely between work and school I don't have the time to post as much as I have in the past. But I guess I can compete with you all if you want me to! :D

^LOL! Its not that I purposely post alot, it just happens sometimes. When the information is coming quickly and the other members are posting frequently and I'm engaged, that happens. Not sure how I've been able to reach 100+ on given days, but I'm assuming that had alot to do with the indexes I created for the local projects... thats the only explaination.

Surely between work and school I don't have the time to post as much as I have in the past. But I guess I can compete with you all if you want me to! :D

Yep, the same kind of stuff happens to me when I get engaged with discussing issues with people here...it's just I start to wonder if people really should spend enough time out of their day here to post 90+ things indexes not included! Of course, I would probably reach that many posts several times, but I don't just like to leave the ususal "Great Pics!" or "Welcome to UrbanPlanet!" type posts. I prefer posting in threads where I know enough about the subject to say a little more (either that or I improv it on some occasions), hence the reason why Idon't post in as many welcome topics or photo topics as I used to. However, I do try to post in all of those photo and welcome threads that concern my home state (Georgia) or Atlantaso I can give my home state/city some representation here.

I mean, I have been known to venture into that alien world known as "the outdoors" every now and then. :P I'm in space right now as we speak!

Edited by ironchapman

Yo, TJ! I've found someone (two people, actually) who can post more than you can! NCB and Mith have both posted 90+ posts today...a point at which I would say we all need more of a life outside of UP.

LOL!

I think we lost track of time going back and forth with questions/answers about jazz music in New Orleans and the Cajun and Creole culture's of Louisiana. And once that was done, I got caught up in the "skyscraper development in Dubai' thread. And then it was "What's going on in New Orleans"

BTW, congrats on 2900 posts, IC! :thumbsup:

Edited by NCB

LOL!

I think we lost track of time going back and forth with questions/answers about jazz music in New Orleans and the Cajun and Creole culture's of Louisiana. And once that was done, I got caught up in the "skyscraper development in Dubai' thread. And then it was "What's going on in New Orleans"

BTW, congrats on 2900 posts, IC! :thumbsup:

Yep, it's easy to lose track of time and posts in those types of threads. It's happened many times for me in this thread and the Tallahassee pic of the day thread, not to mention a couple in the Atlanta forum are the same way for me.

Thanks for the congrats, NCB! Won't be long until I hit the big 3000! :yahoo:

^No problem!

I'm shooting for 2000 before the 26th, when I'll be going to Arkansas for New Years. I think the 4 day's I'll be up there without a computer will bbe my longest interval without UP since Katrina. :lol:

I went for two separate ten day intervals in June w/o posting here.

1st was my suspension at the beginning of the month for ten days. Then, about ten days after that ended, I went to San Antonio with my church group.

I went for two separate ten day intervals in June w/o posting here.

Then, about ten days after that ended, I went to San Antonio with my church group.

Did your group stop in New Orleans? I always see many church groups from Atlanta, Birmingham, and Montgomery stopping for the night in New Orleans on their way to San Antonio, mostly during the summer. It's seems to be very popular to take a quick one night stop in NOLA.

Did your group stop in New Orleans? I always see many church groups from Atlanta, Birmingham, and Montgomery stopping for the night in New Orleans on their way to San Antonio, mostly during the summer. It's seems to be very popular to take a quick one night stop in NOLA.

I don't know if I'd call it a stop as much as a slow down. We took a couple of wrong turns and ended up on the wrong side of the city and then had to stop at Louis Armstrong Int'l to pick up a new driver. It was an all night drive from Douglasville to San Antonio, so we didn't stop to actually get up and walk around really. I did see the skyline from a distance, though. It looked very nice!

LOL, sounds like an interesting trip through NOLA. :P

I dont know if this is what happened to your church group, but it seems that many bus drivers not familiar with the New Orleans area that are coming east on I-10 take Interstate 310 before they get into New Orleans, thinking it is a byspass of downtown, while it really is a spur route that goes south into south Saint Bernard Parish, and after spending around 30 minutes on I-310, and after seeing the Gulf of Mexico pop up in the horizon, they realize they went the wrong way. :lol: