bobliocatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...just wondering.

I went to Target today on Apalachee (like I usually do about once a week) and am finally asking what that empty building on the south end of the parking lot used to be? I've only lived here since August of '03 and since I started going to that Target I've seen that vacant building just sitting there all boarded up. My guess is that it used to be an office supply store? Something like a Staples or an Office Depot? Are there any plans to convert it into a different store or restaurant anytime soon? Curiosity is getting the best of me and with the popularity that Target has, I'm sure whatever the building becomes could share some of the spotlight with Target.

You're right...it was formerly an office supply store...Office Max I believe. I'm very surprised some other business hasn't taken it's place by now. Although it's slightly hidden from Apalachee Parkway it gets great exposure from all the traffic going to & from Target.

You're right Glenn, it was an Office Max. I believe when Staples moved in on the parkway Office Max got the worst end of the bargain likely due to its poor location just behind that U turn and all of those trees. I thought for a while they would re-open in that location but never did. I've been hoping for an Apple store to come to town. Although I'd prefer it be downtown, like say along a revitalized Gaines Street Corridor, it would be a good fit for that building also.

You're right Glenn, it was an Office Max. I believe when Staples moved in on the parkway Office Max got the worst end of the bargain likely due to its poor location just behind that U turn and all of those trees. I thought for a while they would re-open in that location but never did. I've been hoping for an Apple store to come to town. Although I'd prefer it be downtown, like say along a revitalized Gaines Street Corridor, it would be a good fit for that building also.

Apple Store in Tally is most likely to go into a center like the FallsChase area or St. Joe's SouthSide lifestyle center. They are in very high end mall/retail locations, and I only give Tally a 30% chance of getting one in the next 2-3 years.

Great idea though...

Also, I can't believe that Staples is still open. Maybe I go at the wrong times, but it seems like the customers are outnumbered by employees there every time I go (admittedly, not often).

That's very good news. I'm a fan of the St. Joe company. I wouldn't want to live in Southwood, way too "Truman Show" for me, but in general, these guys are straight shooters and pay attention to the environment.

Apple Store in Tally is most likely to go into a center like the FallsChase area or St. Joe's SouthSide lifestyle center. They are in very high end mall/retail locations, and I only give Tally a 30% chance of getting one in the next 2-3 years.

Great idea though...

Also, I can't believe that Staples is still open. Maybe I go at the wrong times, but it seems like the customers are outnumbered by employees there every time I go (admittedly, not often).

An Apple store would be a great addition to the local retail space but like the guy said, it's going to be awhile. In Apple corporate speak, Tallahasse is a "Tier 3" city. There are several things going for Tallahassee which might help. The Xserve supercomputer cluster at FAMU has made a blip on the Apple radar. A lot of Apple stores in are in Rouse malls (acquired by General Growth). Governor's Square is a Rouse/General Growth property.

I'd be willing to put a small wager on an Apple Store in that new Welaunee Mall that y'all don't believe is going to happen.

Hey Cityboy05, what Cross Country team do you run for? When was there a meet at Summit East? I run for Chiles with a 16:45 5k PR.... yeah!

:lol: Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about this. I run for the Godby cross country team. My best time wasn't as impressive as yours but hey at least I am healthy enough to even run the joint. The last time we had a XC meet at summit east was my sophmore year I am now going to be a senior.

Democrat is reporting that the Capital City Condos are off the table. For now I think that isn't a bad thing considering the market doesn't need to be saturated with "the wrong type of development". By that I mean the type of construction that wouldn't be signature to downtown, but yet another space taker. I think its most important for us to focus on the highrise development downtown and not sweat the small stuff. I loved the 417 Park concept also, but its not killing me to see it fade away for a while. To see the Plaza Tower project fall apart would be a disaster. To linger on this Marriott Convetion hotel fiasco is killing me. To speculate what will become of the old state properties the city has aquired gives me hope that the best is yet to come for Downtown Tallahassee.

^Capital City Condos? Where those the ones proposed for the golf course? Surely you didn't read that in the stale Democrat biz section?

I will miss 417 Park b/c it was to be a very attractive bldg. IMO.

However having connections to SFL, I read all the time how super flat the condo market and the housing market is down there, so none of this comes off as a surprise. Just glad we'll have 3 new ones downtown!

• 2 weeks later...

If you take US Hwy 27, Orlando is exactly 215 miles from Tallahassee. The drive is beautiful on the 4 lane highway, most of which is divided and it's a nice break from the everyday on the interstate. If you've never driven that route, you should, it's a time and gas saver.

3.5 Hours doing 70 MPH.

<1/2 Tank of Gas for most cars.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

If you take US Hwy 27, Orlando is exactly 215 miles from Tallahassee. The drive is beautiful on the 4 lane highway, most of which is divided and it's a nice break from the everyday on the interstate. If you've never driven that route, you should, it's a time and gas saver.

3.5 Hours doing 70 MPH.

I always take 27 to Tampa. Even if I can't drive as fast, I would much rather drive a shorter distance going a little slower, since my damn truck gets 12mpg. It is especially convenient from Southwood.

3.5 Hours doing 70 MPH.

My wife took your suggestion today. She just called. She left at 1:30pm... now 3:15hrs later, she's about to reach I-4 from the Turnpike.

She said she loved the drive. No traffic, no stress, no swearing until she was on I-75. I expect the phone to ring any minute with some choice words from I-4.