TallySheet

bobliocatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on cue... "I just got on I-4 and it's a freakin' parking lot! Get me off this thing!"

A "fair" alternative to I-4 and International Drive is Universal Blvd.

Yes, the little known secret in Orlando. Universal Blvd is a hidden gem. Its amazing how much less traffic is one block away. Thanks for ruining the secret. ;) j/k

Right on cue... "I just got on I-4 and it's a freakin' parking lot! Get me off this thing!"

A "fair" alternative to I-4 and International Drive is Universal Blvd.

Wonderful! I acutally just returned from Tampa... 230 miles from Tallahassee Via US 27--> I75 from Ocala. Also just half a tank away. 3 1/2 hours from here.

While I love the quiet ride from here to central Florida on this road, but more of us should take advantage of it. We definately need better signage on 27 yo inform motorist of the destinations that lie beyond Perry.

Wonderful! I acutally just returned from Tampa... 230 miles from Tallahassee Via US 27--> I75 from Ocala. Also just half a tank away. 3 1/2 hours from here.

TJ to Tampa I use US 27/19 to the Suncoast Parkway which starts just south of Crystal River. It is a toll road, I have SunPass which literally makes it a breeze, so it will cost you a few bucks. The Suncoast P'way becomes Veterans P'way and dumps you out at SR 60 just at the beginning of the Causeway to Clwtr. and at I-275 just the beginning of the Howard Franklin Bridge to St. Pete. Also in that immediate area are the airport, International Mall and Westshore Mall. I find that way faster and less miles than hooking back up w/I-75. Of course if you are going to New Tampa (NE Tampa) or the far eastern 'burbs (Brandon) then getting on I-75 would be better.

Again, I've said it before, if you are going to Central or South FL via US 27, you are missing a real treat by not stopping at the BURGER HOUSE in Chiefland. It's located at the split of Alt US 27 (to Ocala) and US 19 (to Crystal River and TPA) and is in a brick ranch style house. It's drive thru only fast food place and they are not open Sunday or Monday, but they have the freshest burgers and chix sandwiches around. Plus their onion rings and shakes taste like your momma made them for you at home. We never go by it w/out stopping.

^Ya know Poonther, I've never thought so stop in Chiefland for food. I think I did notice this Burger joint, but I'm one of those people who travel without stopping until I reach my destination. Now that you've reccomended it, I'll consider on my next voyage.

As for paying tolls, yeah.... I don't like to do it! :)

^Cool, let me know when you do. The burgers are wrapped so that you can eat them as you drive w/out having to refold the paper. If you like onion rings or shakes (only 3 flavors) that is what I'd get.

Travelling on the Suncoast P'way using SunPass is sweet. They have dedicated travel lanes w/open road remote tolling on this road and when you are using SunPass you actually get to go around the toll booth and you can maintain a 70 mph speed limit.

The Turnpike plans to do this soon at their mainline tool booths which are the ones North of Orlando (in Lake County), South of Kissimmee, the one at Lantana, Homestead, Golden Glades and Florida City.

BTW look for more roads in FL to become tolled. Tolling really is the future of roads like it or not. DOT is in talks w/possibly tolling parts of I-95 (looking at Dade County right now) and turning over maintanence of the road to a private company that would get its profits via tolls. It's the privatization and outsourcing of roads. Many other states are looking into it also. LOOK HERE I'm not saying I like it, I'm just the messenger so don't shoot me. :(

Am I the only North Floridian w/SunPass?

Edited by poonther

LOL! Possibly Poonther! Actually I'm sure there are others out there who enjoy traveling the state with their neat ol' sunpass thingy!

Meant to say "only North Floridian on UP w/SunPass." I have seen/know others in town that travel south like we do frequently and have it. If we did not travel south monthly, we'd not have it either.

how many miles do you put on your car yearly Poonther?

Usually for trips down-state I rent a car, but not always. My 3 yr old (this month) Volvo has 51K on it which comes out to 17K per yr. That's above average (10K to 12K/yr is average right?) but I've heard of many others putting on more miles/yr.

U?

Edited by poonther

I'd be willing to put a small wager on an Apple Store in that new Welaunee Mall that y'all don't believe is going to happen.

I'm not familiar with this Welaunee Mall you speakth of. I too am sad to see 417 go it seemed to be a very nice concept and the location was great.

I'm not familiar with this Welaunee Mall you speakth of. I too am sad to see 417 go it seemed to be a very nice concept and the location was great.

The Welaunee Mall doesn't exist, at least not for most of us. Its location, size, and scope are yet to be determined.

Usually for trips down-state I rent a car, but not always. My 3 yr old (this month) Volvo has 51K on it which comes out to 17K per yr. That's above average (10K to 12K/yr is average right?) but I've heard of many others putting on more miles/yr.

U?

With my new driving style, I'll probably put 10,000 mile a year on my car. Although in this past month alone (due to a much higher than normal amount of traveling) I've done 3,000 miles.

Speaking of, gas prices are about to go thru the roof thanks to BP closing a major facility in Alaska. Look for prices to shoot well above $3! I just filled up and I'm going to take the bus everywhere I need to go for a while.

Speaking of, gas prices are about to go thru the roof thanks to BP closing a major facility in Alaska. Look for prices to shoot well above $3! I just filled up and I'm going to take the bus everywhere I need to go for a while.

Oh but we'll soon be saved by millions and millions of gallon pumped out of the Gulf right here in our own backyards. We'll be able to buy bigger SUV's and they'll only have to get gas mileage in the single-digits. We'll never have to look for alternatives again. Damn those beaches and wildlife and the military bases from the P'handle that practice in the Gulf, FL's oil will save the day. And we are safe from spills b/c they tell us so! Hoorah!!!!!

Edited by poonther

Oh but we'll soon be saved by millions and millions of gallon pumped out of the Gulf right here in our own backyards. We'll be able to buy bigger SUV's and they'll only have to get gas mileage in the single-digits. We'll never have to look for alternatives again. Damn those beaches and wildlife and the military bases from the P'handle that practice in the Gulf, FL's oil will save the day. And we are safe from spills b/c they tell us so! Hoorah!!!!!

lol! Thats right!

If you take US Hwy 27, Orlando is exactly 215 miles from Tallahassee. The drive is beautiful on the 4 lane highway, most of which is divided and it's a nice break from the everyday on the interstate. If you've never driven that route, you should, it's a time and gas saver.

3.5 Hours doing 70 MPH.

<1/2 Tank of Gas for most cars.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

Good lookin' out on the info. Goodbye interstate traveling, I won't miss you. U.S. 27 is going to be my new highway gf. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

{TJ said that this post belonged in the off topic section. I guess that Arena Football is more like new construction than Leif winning a bunch of change. Anyhow, sorry for the confusion and please remove the offending misplaced post.}

Tallahassee native, amazing Frisbee player (he throws sort of upside down and backwards) and FSU student, Leif Force ended the World Series of Poker earlier this week in 11th place with a total win of over a million dollars.

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/news/newsArti...?newsID=1101236

leif-force_3005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool Map here people... check out these Florida Gas Prices:

Orange you glad you live in Tallahassee!!! :blush:

Although Ocala and Okaloosa Counties prices are a bit better! :D

Here we have a(nother) good reason not to live in Key West. Of course if you did live there, you could easily get by with one of those putt-putt scooters getting 80 m.p.g.

Hey guys,

Perhaps you may be remotely interested, but I just uploaded my newest website creation "Jason's Bus Page". It's my school bus hobby page, lots of pics of buses from the Tallahassee area.

For those interested, the link is

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~jpl02/bus/index.html

Tell me what you think! P.S. - there is a link to Urban Planet under my "links" section.

Haha, those are still some high gas prices though compared to where I live. Last I saw, our's was $2.44 per gallon.

Ha Ha yourself. You pay a State Income tax and we don't. You guys also pay higher sales tax than we do, up to 9% in your area and you pay it on FOOD and MEDICNE, we only pay 7.5% sales tax and never on food or meds. In that case, I'll live w/the higher gas prices. :)

Haha, those are still some high gas prices though compared to where I live. Last I saw, our's was $2.44 per gallon.

That post was from August 29, almost 2 weeks ago. Gas prices are now as low as $2.30 in Tallahassee. I filled up Friday at $2.37 a gallon.

Might I ask, AlabamaGuy, what drives you here on UrbanPlanet? Do you like to compare your city with others?

That post was from August 29, almost 2 weeks ago. Gas prices are now as low as $2.30 in Tallahassee. I filled up Friday at $2.37 a gallon.

Might I ask, AlabamaGuy, what drives you here on UrbanPlanet? Do you like to compare your city with others?

Wow. Where did you see $2.37?

I was in Atlanta this weekend and saw $2.24...that would be nice.