TallySheet

bobliocatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the State needs to look at a way to better Connect Tallahassee to Central & South Florida with an Interstate Route that runs South East to I-75. More reasons than Tallahassee exist for this proposal, North Florida Gulf Cities struggle because of their inability to access interstate highways. This makes delivery of essential services more difficult. People living in these mostly rural areas need a way to get resources, and health care without stop and go travel on thin roads, plus as this now mostly rural area begins to grow, this will become a necessity.

The existing interestates were funded with federal highway dollars... the federal government hasn't been providing highway funding for interstates for a long time... That's why there are so many toll roads in Florida being built now. All new limited access highways being built now are toll roads built by the Florida's Turnpike Enterprise. Perhaps a route that followed I-10 and US 19 that was closer to the coast might create this vital link... Unfortunately it also makes urban sprawl a more serious problem as well.

City Commissioners are considering imposing an impact fee to pay for growth. I like the concept but I'm afraid this may be seen as anti growth legislation.The city already charges water and sewer impact fees on new development, which pays for stormwater improvements needed because of growth. But the new talks likely will focus on raising funds for better sidewalks, roads, fire-service facilities or schools that could be needed to serve new developments.

Understanding we have an infrastructure problem in Tallahassee and throughout Florida, I see the need to do something... but Im not sure this is the right time for this.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

The adverse effect would be minimal, I would think. Developers would simply pass on the costs to the buyers. There are 18 counties that already assess impact fees, and they happen to be among Florida's most populated and high growth counties. Impact fees haven't stopped growth, just made developers pay a bigger share of the burden.

The counties that assess fees:

Broward, Citrus, Clay, Collier, Miami-Dade, Hernando, Hillsborough, Lake, Manatee, Martin, Orange, Osceola, Palm Beach, Pasco, Seminole, St. Johns, St Lucie, Volusia

• 3 weeks later...

No fears my friend... what doesn't happen this month can happen next month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that does not sum up the southern style of tallahassee i dont know what would. lol. I can remember the giant hole that became our central plaza... what a transformation it will be by the time i leave or die.

Im thinking the only Skylineage that I can think of in Tallahassee other than that Downtown would be that created by the Hospitals, the Business district out in the Killearn area or the Copper Top building. But thats pushing it. I think we're too small to be thinking of extra skylines... hopefully we can get the one downtown to shape up nicely in the near future.

mem256.jpg

Edited by TaureanJ

Miller's Ale House moving in On Apalachee Parkway...

alenavlogo.jpg

Work has begun on the site. "This will be similar to the Ale Houses in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale." The restaurant, which will be on the north side of Apalachee Parkway and west of Broward Street, will be the company's first in the Panhandle.

"We really see Tallahassee as a great market for us, with the government and schools here," Reid said. "I've been coming here for years."