Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

Apartments apartments apartments........without a doubt I would build the parcel between the rail line and brevard as apartments.....

If someone wanted to make a lot of money in this city, they'd build a 20-30 story apartment tower and charge about $1.50 per square foot per month.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apartments apartments apartments........without a doubt I would build the parcel between the rail line and brevard as apartments.....

If someone wanted to make a lot of money in this city, they'd build a 20-30 story apartment tower and charge about $1.50 per square foot per month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There does seem to be a severe shortage of apartment rentals Uptown. My building is 99% occupied, from what i hear Post Gateway also is almost 100% and now that 5th & Poplar is being taken off the market I would only imagine the market will get tighter.

As time goes by it will become easier to rent condos. People get transferred by the banks, or take promotions, to other regions. Some owners won't be ready to sell... they'll rent them out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there are quite a few condos for rent now, but it is so much easier and faster to find an apartment if it is actually in an apartment building or complex. Someone moving from another town or state probably doesn't have the time or ability to drive around downtown looking for "for rent" signs.

There is a huge need for rentals downtown, especially something catering to those who don't want to live in a college dorm-like setting, as we discussed in another thread.

There does seem to be a severe shortage of apartment rentals Uptown.  My building is 99% occupied, from what i hear Post Gateway also is almost 100% and now that 5th & Poplar is being taken off the market I would only imagine the market will get tighter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget that Fourth Ward Square will be gone soon, too. That leaves Post Uptown, Post Gateway, and Cotton Mills as the only apartment buildings in the 277 boundries, and Summit Grandview / Summit South End close.

it may be the lack of rental units make the risk of a condo glut much lower... as people are less willing to sell their condo when they can get a decent rent.

but it does seem with epicenter/twoten that the apartment reits and developers are starting to want a piece of the action.

I think you are talking about those pork chop shaped lots, right???

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked their shape from the Seventh Street Parking Deck on my way out of work, and you are correct, they do look like Pork Chops.

Can we start referring to them as Pork Chop North and Pork Chop South...or is it East and West? :D

I checked their shape from the Seventh Street Parking Deck on my way out of work, and you are correct, they do look like Pork Chops. 

Can we start referring to them as Pork Chop North and Pork Chop South...or is it East and West?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

east and west. when discussing downtown charlotte, it is a city ordinance to cock your head to the right. :)

Don't forget that Fourth Ward Square will be gone soon, too.  That leaves Post Uptown, Post Gateway, and Cotton Mills as the only apartment buildings in the 277 boundries, and Summit Grandview / Summit South End close.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't Cotton Mills converting to condos?

No...they were planning on it, but then Summit (now Camden) made an offer Crescent couldn't refuse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt the valuation Crescent got on the Cotton Mills as a potential condo-coversion building helped jack up the price Summit paid for it. :whistling:

You can also get in by setting up an appointment with the Bobcats Ticket office. If you are considering buying season tickets then they will take you on a tour. If you don't want to do that then they will have the building open for public tours in October.

As a side note I noticed they have started putting up the corporate sponser banners outside by the tracks. They have banners for Lowe's, Coke, Bud Light, and Presbyterian Hospital.

As a side note I noticed they have started putting up the corporate sponser banners outside by the tracks. They have banners for Lowe's, Coke, Bud Light, and Presbyterian Hospital.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i noticed that too. they really seemed tacky at first after seeing that nice brick facade all this time. i must say, though, ads like that will make the area seem more urban and vibrant when there are lots of people there.

Are we still going to see a lot of lighting and Neon around the arena area??? This is what I was looking forward too. I want a "times square feel". With all of the city's restrictions on lighting and signage this has never been possible before. :(

A2

Are we still going to see a lot of lighting and Neon around the arena area??? This is what I was looking forward too. I want a "times square feel". With all of the city's restrictions on lighting and signage this has never been possible before.  :(

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

won't Epicentre sort of give us that?

won't Epicentre sort of give us that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. I would love to see some pics other than their crappy excuse for a rendering. I would really like to see a lot of neon and flashing lights. I think that is one thing that is really missing in downtown. I remember when I first moved to Charlotte, I thought that the area uptown was kind of dead, with respect, to engaging me visually. Outside of the skyskrapers and some bar fronts, I was NOT impressed.

A2

i believe both the arena and epicentre got an exception to the sign ordinance in order to create a more vibrant look with lighting and signs and ads.

it will certainly make it appear less buttoned down and conservative, which is what our downtown looks like now.

Archived