Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been quite a few stories in Boston lately about the Celtics building their own builing and leaving the Fleet/BOA center owned by Bruins owner Jjeremy Jacobs of Buffalo, NY. Celtics play rent free but get no concessions money. The new building won't happen for a few years (if at all) due to the Celtics existing lease.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New arena to host NCAAs

Charlotte awarded regional semifinals, final in 2008

RON GREEN JR.

Staff Writer

Charlotte is back on the road to the Final Four.

The city, once a regular on the NCAA tournament schedule, has been awarded a men's basketball regional semifinal and final in 2008.

The event will be played Thursday, March 27, and Saturday, March 29 in the new uptown arena, which is scheduled to open in fall 2005. The winner will advance to the Final Four in San Antonio.

"We are really thrilled about this," said Judy Rose, athletics director at UNC Charlotte, which will serve as the host school.

Rose said the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats, which will operate the arena, deserve credit for pushing the effort along.

"There were questions about what was going to happen if they operated the new building, and when this came up, they didn't hesitate," Rose said.

The Bobcats were quick to jump in.

"There was no question we wanted to be part of it," said Chris Weiller, the team's executive vice president of corporate affairs. "It shows that we're going to be aggressive in pursuing events like this."

Charlotte will host first- and second-round games next March in the 2005 men's tournament, its first NCAA games since 1999. The games will be played in the Charlotte Coliseum.

As other new arenas have opened around the country, Charlotte had lost some of its attractiveness as a tournament site. What didn't change, Rose said, was the area's passion for college basketball.

The 1994 men's Final Four played here still holds the record for the most ticket requests ever, Rose said.

Rose was a member of the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament committee until her term recently expired. She was also on the subcommittee evaluating future tournament sites.

Though she had to recuse herself during discussions about Charlotte, Rose said the city received the full endorsement of the committee when its bid was considered, though the building is still under construction.

"I told the committee that I knew they would like to see the building, but we could get them whatever they needed," Rose said.

The other 2008 regional finals will be played in Detroit (Ford Field), Houston (Reliant Stadium) and Phoenix (America West Arena).

Among the first- and second-round sites selected for 2008 is the RBC Center in Raleigh. Joel Coliseum in Winston-Salem was selected to host first- and second-round games in 2007.

I think it says a lot about the area and the building if it has been picked while the building is still under construction AND it is in the same groupings as behemoths such as Ford Field and Reliant Stadium. I haven't seen Ford Field, but Reliant dwarfs the Astrodome is such a way that I'm sure most people thought not possible.

• 3 months later...

It looks like the NBA's newest team, the Charlotte Bobcats, is playing its first game to less than spectacular crowds. Certainly it isn't anything like the Hornest first game here years ago. Does this mean that Charlotte still isn't ready for the NBA, or are people here just simply over it?

In contrast, this weekend's Nascar Nextel Cup race is getting much more attention.

I went to both the first hornets game (preseason) and the first Bobcats game (preseason). There wasn't a packed house when the hornets played their first game in preseason either... There was a decent, loud crowd and everyone was excited. PLUS it was during the same time they had Pole Night at the Race Track, and a Thursday night. The Bobcats put on a great show, it was entertaining from top to bottom - I had a blast.

For me it was a non-issue. I didn't even know they had started playing. I don't think Charlotte is a "we're so excited to have a professional team" city anymore. The NBA isn't a big deal here anymore despite how people try to boost it. I would go to a Bobcat's game if I were looking for somthing "different" to do on a weekend night but I'm not really going to freak out over it. I do think when the new arena opens we will see a rise in attendance but Charlotte is now a city that is used to having professional sports so I don't forsee people getting too excited about the team unless they prove themselves to be a good team.

I agree with those who are saying that Charlotte is just used to having pro- teams. They are great to have, but the novelty of them is just not there. I think if it had been years since the Hornets left for Nawlins that there might be alot more excitement about it... It would be a situation kinda like the new baseball team that DC is getting.

Sports isn't about novelty though. If that's the only reason to get crowds, then why bother having a team? This is a long-term addition to the city. Yes, it will take time, and some wins, to get the city back to the energy level it was once at regarding the NBA. It will take time, and the crowds associated with a 'novel' team won't be there, but in the long run, this team will succeed IMO.

Interestingly enough, more people attended the last game of the Hornets, than the first games of the Bobcats.

Are you forgetting that these are preseason games? In our first home game we had a crowd of 9,948. Last night we had a crowd of 11,391 (and yes, I was there). By comparison, the a total of 10,261 in attendance last night in Boston to watch the Celtics play the Nets. And in Atlanta 10,315 showed to watch the Hawks take on Shaq and the Heat. Give the city time. Things will be fine.

I think it was a GREAT turnout considering:

-PRESEASON Game

-On the same night as Pole Night out at the Speedway

-The was no publicity for this event

Anyone who expects sellouts of preseason games has set the bar WAY too high.

Also no need to wonder if the Bobcats are going to come back to the city and ask for money in the next 25 years. After 25 years, anything can happen. Until then, we are locked in.

It's worth noting that the home opener tonight had a nice sold-out attendance of 23,319. We were treated to a heck of a game, although the 'Cats faded down the stretch. It was a pretty fun night overall. The crowd was pretty into it, and we even got the wave going in the 4th quarter. Nelly was signing autographs and of course Rick Flair was in attendance. Good times...

Decent size, decent strength down low, but they lack the athleticism that other teams will bring to the table. We don't have a Tracy Mcgrady or a Kobe Bryant. We don't even have a Steve Francis or a Paul Pierce. We're also lacking veteran experience, since the only guy with an ounce of experience in the NBA is Steve Smith. And let me tell you, when that guy comes in the game the whole team plays differently.

Archived