Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news. The Bobcats have announced a drop in season ticket prices (average 38% upper level; 14% throughout; 70% of ticket prices affected overall) Also, if I'm not mistaken their prices were already at or below average for the NBA anyway. This is good because it looks like we've got an owner who actually knows what he's doing and realizes and is willing to correct the missteps the organization has made. Now lets just start winning some games.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, hopefully, after building up over the next few years, they won't rely as heavily on their few stars, which leads to injuries.

I was kind of hoping the Tubby Smith rumors were true, as it might signal more hope of a better year next year.

Even though the Charlotte taxpayers paid $265,000,000+ to build an arena and then give it to Robert Johnson, owner of the Bobcats, Bob apparently feels no obligation to the city to return the favor, even in a small amount. Apparently he wants $15,000 from each high school in the city that wants to hold a graduation there. As a result, no high school graduation will take place in Charlotte's spanking new taxpayer paid for arena, and instead most will be held either in Cricket Arena, the original Charlotte Coliseum back when cities retained the rights to the arenas they built, or in Ovens Auditorium.

Bleh. Now we know its only about money and has nothing to do with community building.

:lol: I thought we had lots of other threads about trying to discourage high school kids from being uptown. :)

That sounds shady. Hopefully that price is only because they have a chance to book other more profitable gigs. In which case it is better for the city to still get those gigs, and also still fix their otherwise empty Cricket Arena.

However, if the building sits empty, hopefully the politics will be behind him changing his mind.

Even though the Charlotte taxpayers paid $265,000,000+ to build an arena and then give it to Robert Johnson, owner of the Bobcats, Bob apparently feels no obligation to the city to return the favor, even in a small amount. Apparently he wants $15,000 from each high school in the city that wants to hold a graduation there. As a result, no high school graduation will take place in Charlotte's spanking new taxpayer paid for arena, and instead most will be held either in Cricket Arena, the original Charlotte Coliseum back when cities retained the rights to the arenas they built, or in Ovens Auditorium.

Bleh. Now we know its only about money and has nothing to do with community building.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but do you know if arenas normally charge for H.S. graduations?

I honestly don't know. That's why I'm asking. :unsure:

That sounds shady. Hopefully that price is only because they have a chance to book other more profitable gigs. In which case it is better for the city to still get those gigs, and also still fix their otherwise empty Cricket Arena.

However, if the building sits empty, hopefully the politics will be behind him changing his mind.

Nope. Almost all of the graduations take place during business hours in the AM. The schools are flexible in when they hold the event.

Well the good thing is this year graduations will take during a week long process rather than 3 days. CMS graduations would range from 8 AM to 7 PM during the weekday. A couple of years ago when we still had the Hornets, there was a few conflicting schedules as the Hornets was in the playoffs during the same time as graduations.

The key for me was that the City isn't responsible for schools. I can understand expecting compensation for the operating costs, but surely they aren't 3 times more expensive to operate than at the old colliseum.

I'm glad he saw the error of his original decision, though.

Now we get to see the articles on how annoyed people are for not being able to find parking during the day :).

To solve a ton of the parking problems the city needs to take some of their city owned land and hire a developer to build another major parking garage, simiar to 7th street station. Make it atractive as possible with retail space on the lower level.

This would be a smart move for the city to get recurring revenues from leasing out the retail component of the deck and parking monies.

What would be awesome is that we get 10 surface lots in the space of just erasing one.

Any ideas why this is not feasable???Am I being to ignorant concerning costs involved to build a 9, 10 or 12 story deck on city owned propery???

You could even build the deck to have a tower built on top if the city ever needed to expand their current facilities. It seems like the best of both worlds.

Parking for frustrated arena visitors and money back on the tax roles from retailers and parking revenues.

;)

A2

Personally, I wish that CDOT would get a recurring line item in their budget for structured parking. There are many conditions where projects could happen if a parking structure could be funded publicly, but wouldn't/won't happen without. Parking decks are often seen as a public responsibility is other cities. Then the city could be making some money off the events it spends to much to win.

That said, I think the private (for footnote to this, read the Apt thread :) ) economy is doing a decent job of providing parking spaces currently. The real problem with parking isn't really the availability, it is the price. I hope to see that situation end after the businessmen crunch their numbers after the first year.

There are many lots that sit empty, even on event nights, because there is much more parking than is needed for evening events now. Having flag people charging high rates is nuts when the parking lot ends up being barely full from the event. Hopefully some businessmen will charge less in the future, or do away with charges altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - this is only tangentially related; but anyone see the news about Bob Johnson buying a bank? This from the freakonomics blog:

Maybe Urban Trust Bank Arena?? Could he name it that for free?

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how agressive he markets in the big boy's backyard.

I'd only care if he put a 60+ story Urban Trust Bank tower uptown with a giant basketball on top that pushed it over 1000 ft. :)

i went to see the bobcats play orlando magic the other night. i have to admit, everything about the experience was great except the real reason your supposed to be there... IMO, professional basketball has become the most uneventful and boring game around. the most compelling thing that happened on the court was during halftime when they had locals doing a slamdunk contest.

i have been trying to understand why NBA ball has become so mundane to me... i mean i used to really love it. i still love college hoops, nothing beats march madness. anyways, the arena was top notch, but hardly anyone was there. my friend who took me and has season tickets said that the crowd was unusually small that night.

oh, and $6.75 for 20 oz pour of bud or bud light... ouch. that doesn't include a tip.

IMO, professional basketball has become the most uneventful and boring game around.

^The NBA on the whole has totally lost contact with its fan base. Between the behavior and image problems of the players and the horrible quality of play on the court, this could be a serious long term problem and, unless Magic, Bird and Jordan are reincarnated, I don't see anyone coming along as league saviors.

^The NBA on the whole has totally lost contact with its fan base. Between the behavior and image problems of the players and the horrible quality of play on the court, this could be a serious long term problem and, unless Magic, Bird and Jordan are reincarnated, I don't see anyone coming along as league saviors.

i guess my biggest problem was just that the gameplay was SOOOO lackadaisical. it was very passionless, if it hadn't of been for the entertainment/distractions of the arenas features - i would have been bored to tears. however, i can't wait to see an ACC or CIAA game there... there really doesn't seem to be a bad seat in the house. that amazed me.

I actually think it depends on the caliber of the team. If your talking about the Pistons or Spurs or one of the top 10 teams then there is a lot more passion. Think about the difference between the 2001 Panthers and today's Panthers. If your team is good and theres something to win then there will be passion. The Bobcats play hard but don't have anything to play for. Image going to a really crappy ACC game on a tuesday night. A UVA-Clemson game, outside of March, can bore me to tears. Put the game in context.

Maybe Urban Trust Bank Arena?? Could he name it that for free?

I could be wrong, but the arena ownership/team would probably want the several million $$'s a year instead of free advertising, especially with a long term contract. Money would most likely have to transfer somehow and some way, depending on who has their hand out on that payoff.

Any news on naming rights? Any candidates? My guess it will be outside the Charlotte/NC even southern region of the US.

Archived