Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

This is an update from City Manager Pam Syfert on the Bobcats Arena Trade St retail:

In October 2005, three restaurants were selected to occupy the street-level retail space at the new arena: Matt's Chicago Dog, Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins, and Red's Carolina BBQ. Lease negotiations began at that point with each of the restaurants. In February 2006, the Council approved the terms of the three leases and the restaurants began the design phase to determine their needs and the location for utilities and HVAC systems.

A financial partner with Red's Carolina BBQ has withdrawn its participation and Red's has now withdrawn its proposal. The City's marketing broker, the Providence Group, has secured a proposal from "Blazin' Wings, Inc." to fill the space left vacant by Red's, which is approximately 4,000 square feet. The negotiated terms for Blazin' Wings are very similar to that of the other two restaurants. The recommended proposal will be brought to Council for approval in October.

We anticipate delivering the space to the tenants in November. The tenants believe they can have their space upfitted in about 120 days and will open in April 2007.

Blazin' Wings operates as Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar. This this will be their 3rd location in Charlotte. They have locations in the University and Crown Point area.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an update from City Manager Pam Syfert on the Bobcats Arena Trade St retail:

Blazin' Wings operates as Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar. This this will be their 3rd location in Charlotte. They have locations in the University and Crown Point area.

oh, i'm getting hungry. hey, why can't we have Matt's Charlotte Dog in this city? that always bugs me, New York Style pizza, chicago dogs,............

oh, i'm getting hungry. hey, why can't we have Matt's Charlotte Dog in this city? that always bugs me, New York Style pizza, chicago dogs,............

Because it is a style. I'm sure somewhere other than the Carolina's in this country is a place where you can purchase "Carolina BBQ"

Because it is a style. I'm sure somewhere other than the Carolina's in this country is a place where you can purchase "Carolina BBQ"

For sure. The two things this area is known for, fish camps and BBQ are virtually unknown in Charlotte itself except in a few out of the way places that you have to find by word of mouth. Bojangles is the only semi-national chain that was invented here and it bills itself as having Cajun chicken. There are not many cajuns in Charlotte as far as I can tell.

For sure. The two things this area is known for, fish camps and BBQ are virtually unknown in Charlotte itself except in a few out of the way places that you have to find by word of mouth. Bojangles is the only semi-national chain that was invented here and it bills itself as having Cajun chicken. There are not many cajuns in Charlotte as far as I can tell.

Mmmmmm....fishcamps.....when I was a kid, we'd trek from Concord to Riverview Inn. Its still there (right by the river on Wilkinson Blvd). What a great old grease-shack!

Ah yes.....with the one legged pirate...the inlaws drag me out there every chance they get....my wife practically grew up there.

As far as Bobcats Arena....I really think the Baskin Robbins will do well with Imaginon, and especially NASCAR Hof in the future.

I actually saw "Carolina-Style Chopped Pork Barbecue" at a local barbecue spot in Kansas City (I think it was Arthur Bryant's). I didn't try it. After all 1) It's Kansas City...they are known for their own beef barbecue (which is a totally different experience, but equally as pleasing) and 2) Why would I pay to try Carolina-style barbecue in anywhere but Carolina?

I also saw it listed on the menu as that at a bar/restaurant in Fayetteville, AR (where U of A is). Can't remember the name of the place, but I did actually succomb to the description on the menu and try it there and it didn't come close.

My vote for best Carolina barbecue has to go to Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby or Lexington Barbecue in Lexington.

In addition, I am so disappointed that Red's is not coming. When I started reading the post, I got so excited to read about them, only to realize that they had withdrawn their proposal. The Habanero sauce that Red's has is incredible.

Same here Scott, I have been in several areas in the south to see Carolina style bbq. The last I can remember was outside Jacksonville, FL at some podunk restaurant off the interstate we decided to try.

In light of this thread, I have gotten a major craving. I believe R&R BBQ will be getting a visit from me at lunch today.

• 3 weeks later...

arenakids.jpg

When I first saw this I thought maybe some new public art had been installed on the back side of the arena...but then the kids actually were moving and yelling. Not sure exactly what was going on, maybe they were protesting the high ticket prices. Interesting none the less.

They're watching the Bobcats practice - I saw it the other day from my car as I was passing by - pretty cool street level thing to have windows to view the practice courts - then again, there's nothing on that side of the arena that would make someone 'wander' by.

They're watching the Bobcats practice - I saw it the other day from my car as I was passing by - pretty cool street level thing to have windows to view the practice courts - then again, there's nothing on that side of the arena that would make someone 'wander' by.

This was on the Caldwell Street side on the building. The part of the arena where these kids were overlooks the loading docks.

Actually those kids were being filmed today by the Bobcats. One of my friends also participated. They are doing a "mini-film" that will be shown before games on the Jumbotron. My buddy from work was asked to go down today around lunch to be a participant. They picked a few guys and gals out of the crowd from last nights game to come be a part of the mini-flick. I think in all they rounded up about 70-80 people. My friend from work begged me to go and join in all of the "hoopla" (pun intended :) ) but I totally refused to be a part of the maham. Those kids could have either been a part of the mini-flick, or just watching what was going on in the inside.

A2

Actually those kids were being filmed today by the Bobcats. One of my friends also participated. They are doing a "mini-film" that will be shown before games on the Jumbotron. My buddy from work was asked to go down today around lunch to be a participant. They picked a few guys and gals out of the crowd from last nights game to come be a part of the mini-flick. I think in all they rounded up about 70-80 people. My friend from work begged me to go and join in all of the "hoopla" (pun intended :) ) but I totally refused to be a part of the maham. Those kids could have either been a part of the mini-flick, or just watching what was going on in the inside.

A2

yea, they were shooting a mini film around 2 oclock. i was down in the loading dock with several other people and the players. it took a little minute to finish too.

Well, it wouldn't be related to light rail, it is 2 blocks away from light rail. There is eventually a plan to make Caldwell two directions throughout uptown. This is a block in which the roadway must be widened, and the city owns that land, so they might just be doing the basic prep work now.

Oh ok, I was just going by his statement "bounded by the light rail tracks" that it was next to the light rail. The Caldwell side of the "porkchops" is on the other side of Brevard from where I thought he was talking about.

I didn't know they were having to widen Caldwell too though.

There is an article in the normally over boosterish Observer, that confirms what I predicted several times, that is the expected business bonanza from the construction of the arena simply has not occured. Businesses around the arena are finding that except for Bobcats nights, they are seeing little or even negative business because of the arena. And even on Bobcats nights business owners are not seeing that much traffic. People who come downtown to spend money at the arena are doing it inside the arena and then going home. The arena is competeing against business.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Sports venues do not generate street life in cities beyond their own very infrequent events. They are not worth the investment if this is the reason for building them. Pepple advocating for baseball in downtown should take notice.

From my experiences, the downtown streets gain 10k to 20k more people 100+ nights a year b/c of the arena. i dont give a crap about the restaurant owners bottom line, I'm not a booster, but the arena has really helped downtown become a more lively place in the evenings. I dont see how anyone could put a negative spin on it.

If you've ever dealt with restaurant owners/managers, you'll know that business is never good enough.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Sports venues do not generate street life in cities beyond their own very infrequent events. They are not worth the investment if this is the reason for building them. Pepple advocating for baseball in downtown should take notice.

Archived