Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

i think being half a century old, the first of its kind in the world, and being a major part of the cultural life of significant percentages of the longstanding population of this city will keep this building standing. but they are going to have to figure out what do with it so that it can not be a multimillion dollar drain on the city budget. when you look at what they cut to save 100k here and there, millions in operating losses for an old arena just will not last.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about an arena that specializes in unusual or "extreme" (i hate that word) sports.......I'm thinking skateboarding, BMX biking, maybe in-line skate racing, etc......

I'm not sure how many events like these are held, but I would think Cricket could compete for national tours since rent would be much lower than at the NEW Charlotte Arena.

What about an arena that specializes in unusual or "extreme" (i hate that word) sports.......I'm thinking skateboarding, BMX biking, maybe in-line skate racing, etc......

I'm not sure how many events like these are held, but I would think Cricket could compete for national tours since rent would be much lower than at the NEW Charlotte Arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think that is a GREAT idea, atlrvr. they already house rodeo type events...i don't know if they still do the monster truck thing or not? if i recall, there was talk of charlotte building a velodrome for cyclists. this might work. cycling is big in charlotte and is gaining momentum. maybe we could get a "jai alai" team B) .

"i think that is a GREAT idea, atlrvr. they already house rodeo type events...i don't know if they still do the monster truck thing or not? if i recall, there was talk of charlotte building a velodrome for cyclists. this might work. cycling is big in charlotte and is gaining momentum. maybe we could get a "jai alai" team cool.gif"

The Velodrome is being built in Rock Hill most likely. :(

I love the idea of an extreme sports type of arena. I would prefer no rodeos though as that is a barbaric and cruel form of amusement.

Man, why are people willing to pay so much money to see bands that are twenty years past their prime?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not all of us appreciate 50 cent, Mariah Carey's squealing, or Avril Lavigne's sheer ignorance of rock music history.

Besides, are you insinuating that people like Tina Turner, Bono, and Steven Tyler are past their prime?

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Old Coliseum after the present Coliseum is torn down. When the current coliseum was completed in the late 80s, the city closed the old one in hopes of tearing it down but there was a backlash to keep it open. There were the historical preservationists who probably would have lost if they were alone in this, but they had help from people wanting to make money from the site.

Basically they agreed to keep the 1949 structure open because there are many bands and events that simply did not want to go into the much larger coliseum on Tyvola road. There are not that many events that will fill a 22K person arena so the newly renamed and rennovated Cricket arena was left open for the smaller events. Apparently rock bands don't like to play in a partially filled arena.

Now we are tearing down the Tyvola Coliseum. The only reason for doing this is the city gave the building and the property to the Banks and Duke power to cover the part of the $100M "loan" they make to get the NBA to come here. It is their property now and they or others they would sell this property to, don't want an arena there. While the city likes to say the property tax owners didn't foot the bill for the Bobcats, this is an example of $50M of property tax paid for property, which was used for that very purpose.

I suspect that since the Bobcats Arena is much smaller and closer in size to Cricket Arena, you can bet there will be political pressure to close it down. Else it is going to compete against the Bobcats for the same events (remember the Bobcats are the sole recipients of any proceeds that come from events in the arena). Everytime there is an event in Cricket Arena, that is money that is not flowing into the Bobcat's and the NBA's bank account so they are going to want it closed.

"Not all of us appreciate 50 cent, Mariah Carey's squealing, or Avril Lavigne's sheer ignorance of rock music history."

Every single one of them should end themselves.

Besides, are you insinuating that people like Tina Turner, Bono, and Steven Tyler are past their prime?

Why yes, yes I am. Go see the Arcade Fire, M83, The Faint, Or Godspeed You Black Emporer if you want to see a vibrant, innovative concert experience. Every one of thsoe bands can be seen for 10$ or less at most venues.

Rock is not an old man's game. Giant Video screens and gimmicky stage pyrotechnics and electronics do not make up for tired songwriting, and an over the hill band. There is NO REASON, out of greed, that bands need to charge 75$ for a ticket.

History belongs in a museum, not on a stage.

Why yes, yes I am.  Go see the Arcade Fire, M83, The Faint,  Or Godspeed You Black Emporer if you want to see a vibrant, innovative concert experience.  Every one of thsoe bands can be seen for 10$ or less at most venues.

Rock is not an old man's game.  Giant Video screens and gimmicky stage pyrotechnics and electronics do not make up for tired songwriting, and an over the hill band.  There is NO REASON, out of greed, that bands need to charge 75$ for a ticket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, but business is business. people are willing to pay for the spectacle, especially for bands that they and younger crowds consider classic/timeless.

You can see you $10 shows and have an awesome time... but 40 year old soccer moms take their 13 year old daughters to Springsteen, not Arcade Fire. :)

OK, back to the topic at hand people. The question posed was ticket prices are already sky hight at the new arena. Springsteen is playing at the old Coliseum (Tyvola), which has more seats than the new arena and prices BEGIN at $75. Does this set a precedent for even more outrageous prices so only the wealthy can afford to go to concerts?

Typically Charlotte ticket prices are 30%-50% less than those in larger northeastern cities (the only place I've compared them).....but, they are significantly more expensive than they used to be.

I think this becomes a double-edged sword. The fact that we sell out these concerts, even at high-prices show that their is a huge demand here for at least big-name entertainment, therefore, it seems to me that Charlotte becomes the obvious stop for the Carolinas for big name shows (even if we have fewer seats, we can more than make up for it with higher tix prices).

The downside, is what has been mentioned several times. These become more of social events for the well to do, and makes the average fan have to be selective about which concerts they will chose to attend.

I agree with all of you that $75 is rediculous for the starting price of a concert but what you have to realize he is not trying to sell every seat in the arena. This is a solo acoustic tour and the arena will be set up as a half house design. It will actually be smaller and more intimate, selling only a couple thousand tickets.

Bruce Springsteen website:

Bruce Springsteen will celebrate the release of his latest album, 'Devils & Dust' (April 26; Columbia Records) by touring the United States and Europe this spring. The tour will be entirely solo and Springsteen will perform in theaters and in arenas scaled down to theater format. This will be his first solo tour since the 1996-1997 'Ghost of Tom Joad' tour.

On a another note, I was checking out the live cam today of the arena and I was noticing the room of the arena and go to thinking, I hope they put something cool on the roof, like maybe a big bobcats logo in the middle? Just imagine flying over the city or living in one of the high rises and seeing how good that would look IMO.

Archived