Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

Good points Atlrvr, but the "averge guy" on the street isn't aware of any of it. They only see the 265 million price tag as a handout for the nba. Notice how this week Lynn Wheeler has now said she regrets supporting it. The public perception would have been better if they had waited 8-10 years to build it. This wasn't a Cleveland Browns situation where people were fighting to keep the team here.

That being said, I think they should have built it 3-4 years ago and avoid the whole Hornets mess. The same people would have hated it then that do now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

by waiting and getting a new team and new owners, we now have more substantial local minority owners, like mr. mccoll, and a black billionaire media-tycoon owner that can afford to sink good money into the team and the city, invest in the needs of minorities in this city (he already put big money into building West Blvd YMCA), bring entertainment celebrities to the new arena (nelly is a part owner of the team), and create a new role model scenario for poor black kids in town (not only could they grow up to be a ball player, but they could build a business and make so much money they could own a ball club).

I know there are many issues that make significant numbers of people in this city resent the arena. I respect some of the reasons for opposing the arena, but for many people, i think they are just small-time folks, who freak out about big dollar projects, not realizing how rich this community really is.

clt welcomes all to the 49er games. clt is an alumnus, 49er club member, and season ticket holder. this team is really good and should make a deep run in the tourney. forget about the other teams in the state and support the 21st ranked niners.

on a side note, the game is sold out saturday, so clt welcomes you to next year's games.

1.....the arena will be demolished for an office park unless you have $25M laying around to outbid Crescent Resources.

2....I used to respect Lynn Wheeler because she would put her reputation on the line to improve this city. Now she's just pathetic, especially since its easier now to justify the economic stimlus of the arena with all the new announcements downtown.

3....Having a referendum in the first place was the problem. We live in a representative democracy....meaning we elect leaders who will make educated decisions on issues at hand. Instead we asked the relatively uniformed masses to comment on an extremely complex financial deal. They gave the knee jerk reaction to a big price tag, rather than carefully studying the financial structure, the cost-benefit analysis, the future development opportunities, the actual effect on property taxes, etc......just because an arena cost $265M doesn't mean each person pays $450 to build it.

on a different note, looks likes they started putting up a decrative screening wall on the Holiday Inn parking deck faceing the arena. Haven't heard about it so kind of caught me off guard when they were putting it up today. Guess i'll have to wait to see finished product, but anything that adds to visual appeal of the city is a plus.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about festivities surrounding the first 2 rounds of the NCAA Tournament that's being played at the Coliseum this weekend?

I remember when the NCAA Championship was here way back when and how it was awesome. Everyone that attended said it was one of the best experience the Championship game has ever had, yet the NCAA said they'll never come back for the Final Four.

I haven't heard anything planned for the ncaa's by the city, so I guess the biggest entertainment will be to hang out at a bar and watch the Duke and UNC fans fight. :lol:

The final four held here in '94 was a huge success. I remember the festival atmosphere downtown and party's all week around southpark too. Unfortunantly, the NCAA has made a rule since then that they will only hold the final four in domed stadiums. This ensures seating capacity >50,000, so it lokks like Charlotte will not be hosting this event for a long time to come. :angry:

From the NCAA website article, NCAA News July 8, 2002:

As part of the planning for upcoming championships, the committee finalized specifications for potential host sites for the 2008 through 2010 Final Fours. These specifications and an availability questionnaire will be distributed later this summer to cities that meet the criteria, one of which requires that a host stadium have a seating capacity greater than 40,000.

Here are the sites, attendance, and ACTUAL capacity of the last 4 NCAA Championships. Notice the huge difference in attendance and capacity. Some of the numbers might be a little off on capacity due to skewed numbers when set up in football configuration or basketball configuration, but they should be fairly close.

RCA Dome, Indianapolis

Attendance: 43,116

Capacity: 60,272

17,156 EMPTY SEATS

Metrodome, Minneapolis

Attendance: 45,994

Capacity: 63,669

17,675 EMPTY SEATS

Georgia Dome, Atlanta

Attendance: 53,406

Capacity: 71,228

17,822 EMPTY SEATS

Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans

Attendance: 54,524

Capacity: 72,348

17,824 EMPTY SEATS

Alamodome, San Antonio

Attendance: 44,468

Capacity: 65,000

20,532 EMPTY SEATS

Is it just me, or does someone else notice a trend here.

That is correct.

There weren't actually seats that went unsold for all those final fours previously mentioned. They didn't even have the other seats for sale. Now they only play Final Fours in football domes so they can get more people. If they sold all 70-80,000 seats twenty thousand people would literally be staring straight ahead at a 100 foot wall (the back of the temporary grandstand for basketball). That's why the actual attendance numbers are off from the capacity. The games were all sold out, I assure you that.

• 3 weeks later...

metro.....there is a conceptual plan that has been finalized by the local ULI chapter for those wedges. They've been discussed in a few earlier threads. Essentially the plan calls for three condo towers (2 on the west parcel and one on the east) and streetfront retail and live work units to fill in the rest.

The city owns these parcels and has not put them up to bid yet. They will not do this until after construction finishes. The first to be sold is the west parcel, but it is currently being used as a staging lot.

Archived