COMPLETE: GTECH Center

I am optimistic about it. I love the fact that it's glass... <snip>  I think as long as they can fill the street level retail on Francis it will have a great street presense and will help to knit together the mall and Downcity.

I hope you're right. Perhaps if the ground level retail is done well, the project will be OK. I certainly don't have a problem with glass. My problem is that this building already looks 20 years old. There's no signs of the cutting edge flair of even the new conservative buildings in NYC, Chicago, Vancouver, London, Madison, etc. in this building.

I think the biggest mistake here is the height, a building on this site should be at least 20 stories, it should rise above the mall to be seen from the highway, and make a dent in the sky when seen from the south along the river.

I completely agree here. The height is very tame. The last 3-4 buildings put up in downtown (save for the Westin, which I really like) have all been tame heightwise and should have been taller, especially the Citizen's Bank building. I guess as they move closer to the Capitol they want to limit things somewhat.

I actually think most of the views will be maintained, the view from the winter garden at the mall will be a little different, but you'll still be able to see the main skyline, the Biltmore may be blocked out. I just can't get behind the view arguement though, a city is about people and buildings, if you want a view move to the beach. The way people gush about the State House, why don't we just tear down the whole city and rebuild it as concentrentric circles facing Smith Hill?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the view argument well... If you have a architectural gem (and the Capitol is that), why block it so it's hard to see. I have to laugh at your comment about the concentric circles... That's how Madison, WI is layed out, and it's really gorgeous. I'll post some photos once I pick one of those server databases you recommended.

- Garris

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to wonder who's view of the capitol is threatened by GTECH? Are there people who spend their days standing on the corner of Francis and Memorial gazing lovingly at the State House? The only people who could possible have their views affected are the guests at the Marriott, and guess what, they don't live here, and don't need jobs here so they can go screw. :P

Cutting edge designs like NYC, Chicago, Vancouver, London, Madison, etc.??? :rofl:

This is Providence, brick is still cutting edge. Maybe we can get some cutting edge in the areas under 195, but I won't hold my breath. The areas along the river under 195 I know are going to be Neo Ye Olde Providence. Maybe Johnson & Wales' buildings can have more of an edge, they'll be further from the more historic areas Downcity, closer to Route 95.

Sadly I think it's a simple matter of the economy that is keeping the heights down. GTECH actually took a floor out because they weren't sure they'd be able to lease it. I think if they could, they would have wanted to go higher, it's the penis contest prestige thing.

• 2 weeks later...

GTECH2005-0112.jpg

Journal photo / Steve Szydlowski A pile is lifted into place at the construction site for GTECH's new corporate headquarters in downtown Providence. Below, Nelson Riley holds a cable that attaches to the pile-driving machine. The work is being done with a state-of-the-art hydraulic hammer.

The big bang

BY ANDREA STAPE Journal Staff Writer | January 12, 2005

That's a hydraulic hammer, and it's being used to pound 450 piles 70 feet to 80 feet into the ground.

They will make a solid base for the foundation of GTECH Holding Corp.'s new corporate headquarters, at the corner of Francis Street and Memorial Boulevard in downtown Providence. Pile driving has been going on at the site since the end of last month. But unlike the pile driving for the Providence Place mall that was done in 1997, the work for the GTECH building hasn't created much of a disturbance, thanks to this "state-of-the-art" hammer, said Bob Hunt, the general superintendent on the project for Gilbane Building Co., which is the construction manager for the building.

About 150 piles have been driven, starting at the end of the empty lot closest to the State House. With about 15 going in daily, pile driving will continue through this month, said Hunt. He predicts that concrete will start being poured for the foundation in the beginning of next month.

As the pile driving moves south across the lot toward Memorial Boulevard, Gilbane plans to close off the right turning lane of Memorial Boulevard next to the building site. The lane, which puts cars onto Francis Street facing the State House, is tentatively set to close on Monday, and will not reopen until March 2006.

From The Providence Journal

Memorial Boulevard right-turn lane closed during GTECH construction

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Progress continues on the construction of GTECH Holding Corp.'s downtown Providence office building.

On Monday, the right-turn lane on Memorial Boulevard -- at the corner with Francis Street -- was shut down. Barrels, cones, signs and concrete barriers have gone up and chain link fencing will also be installed around the work area. The lane will remain closed until March 2006, as the 13-story building is constructed.

Drivers will still be able to turn right onto Francis Street -- from the middle lane. Pedestrians will still have clear access to the crosswalks at the corner, allowing them access to the Courtyard Marriott and Providence Place mall. "Those crosswalks are sacred," said Bob Hunt, the general superintendent for Gilbane Building Co., which is the construction manager for the project.

From The Providence Journal

I think the building looks great and it's exactly what Providence needs. The building looks like it'll be impressive coming off the highway. I don't know why people don't like the look of this building. Should we have built ANOTHER brick building downtown? Variety gives character to the city... think of it this way, if you don't like its structure at least you'll get the brick reflection off the Marriott and Providence Place. :P

Should we have built ANOTHER brick building downtown? Variety gives character to the city...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hooray john! Welcome! :D

I 100% agree. I do however have an issue with the horizontal orientation of this building, expecially from the Waterplace side, from the corner of Francis and Memorial it looks quite vertical, and I like it (though I'd like it more if it was another 5 stories tall). The Waterplace side has a lot of horizontal lines though, I'm not liking that. Also some sort of detailing at the roof line would have been nice, a building need not be 200 years old (or aping a 200 year old form) to have detail, I think reinterpreting the detail of the city's historic structures is important for future moderist structures.

There seems to be a bit of worry of the giant sheet of glass, lighted from within, interfering with WaterFire, and I think that is a valid concern. I think however if it proves to be a problem, that GTECH can install some sort of shades to reduce the light effect, and still allow the inside of the building to see WaterFire. GTECH is a WaterFire sponsor, and I think they are well aware that they don't want to be known as the company that ruined it, they'll do what needs to be done to ensure that their building enhances the WaterFire experience.

I beleive those giant walls a couple stories up the side of the building house the parking garage, and I think they are metal. They look like concrete with metal panels in the renderings, which terrifies me, but if they are indeed all metal, as I think they are, than I think I'll not mind them.

We may or may not end up liking the building as a whole when it's done, I guess we can't be certain until it is done (maybe Garris can be :P ), but I do have faith that we will at least enjoy the ground level experience it creates, and that is very important considering it's position in WaterPlace.

think of it this way, if you don't like its structure at least you'll get the brick reflection off the Marriott and Providence Place. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope that the building has a mirror effect along the lines of the Hancock Building in Boston, and creates interesting reflections of it's neighbours.

though I'd like it more if it was another 5 stories tall

Yea...I completely agree, and if it were up to me I'd have pushed G-Tech to build it as tall as the Westin, or as tall as the company would have settled for. It's as if the Capital Center Commission has no intention on making the city more like a city (and it still has a ways to go for that anyway). But I guess we have to take what we can get.

Hopefully those proposals in the Providence Projects topic folder can actually come to fruition...but that may be light years away. I think Carcieri has the same resolve I do to get these projects going, but we all know how many obstacles there are in the politics of our state. Hopefully Rhode Islanders can push to remove the old thinkers who make the decisions and who are holding the state and the city of Providence back from progress.

Yea...I completely agree, and if it were up to me I'd have pushed G-Tech to build it as tall as the Westin, or as tall as the company would have settled for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately the office market in Providence can't absorb anything too tall right now. GTECH actually pulled a floor or two out of their building because they weren't confident enough they could lease the space.

reactionarily negative...  When I looked at the Waterfire photo...  Oh, boy...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For anyone who is conspiracy minded... The WaterFire photo was actually smaller than the others, as if maybe someone was trying to hide it. I blew it up to the same size as the rest because I'm anal-rententive and it bugged me that one of those things was not like the others.

Hopefully those proposals in the Providence Projects topic folder can actually come to fruition...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually have to update that thread, some of those proposals are off the table, some have changed, and some have happened. If anyone has anything to add to it, post in that thread, and I'll work on putting everything together for a new one. I'll probably post it in the main section of the forum so we can show off to everyone else who doesn't visit this section. :P

Every time I have written this post, I have erased it. We're all probably thinking a lot of the same things but just feel differently about it. I suppose we'll just have to see what sort of affect the precedent that has been set will have. All I have to say about it is this: I don't think there has ever been a moment in this buildings evolution as a concept where somebody took the time to draw it by hand.

The only drawings I have seen were of street level, done by the landscape artist (who is responsible for waterplace if I'm correct).

(who is responsible for waterplace if I'm correct).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, William Warner, I was trying to find some renderings of the landscaping (I've seen the street ones, but nothing of the Waterplace side), but his firm seems to not have a website.

As I've said before, I have no problem with non-traditional buildings downtown, I question if this is the *right* building. My biggest concern is with the glass siding. Often, in drawings, the glass looks shimmering and transparent in ways which it never does in reality. I really hope this looks very much like a very mini Hancock building, but I fear the quality won't come close. This was a big issue with the Trump building near the U.N. in NYC. In drawings, it was a glimmering glass rod and many were looking forward to it being built. In reality, however, it is enormously disappointing, basically a depressing black slab thrusting into the sky. In a reply to critics, Trump says that some material and glass changes due to cost were reasons why the appearance is "slightly" different... I'll try to find some before and after photos. That's my big fear here. In drawings, a shimmering glass building on Waterplace. In reality, a horizontal suburban office building with clearly delineated glass and superstructure.

Another concern I has is the apparent lack of detailing anywhere. It has a massive and slightly Soviet look at street level and at top for such a small office building (and it is small, if the scale with the mall is to believed).

My initial $0.02... I hope my fears are unfounded!

- Garris

Howdy there,

now that there seems to be some actual discussion going on here, thought I would jump in!

Not too much to say about the G-Tech building that hasn't already been said. While I'm certainly not doing back flips over the current proposed design, I don't really mind it. It looks like they actually HAVE detailed the facade a little better than standard suburban office buildings, with nice tight lines and fairly good proportions, and its quite a bit better than both the Citizens bldg. and the AMerican Express bldg. (I think) in the immediate vicinity). I also think it has the potential to look much better if the proposed new buildings around it ever come to fruition (ie. the Intercontinental buildings) which will presumbably have the verticality that everyone seems to be craving.

I know its been talked about somewhere else around here, but if you want to see a BAD looking building, take a look at the renderings for the condo tower proposed for Atwells and Knight. Complete MONSTROSITY.

-El

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can enter me in the wish-it-wasn't-going-there count.

I like being able to see around that corner when I'm at that intersection. As a green space, its been quite nice. I would've loved to see that area as an extension to waterplace park. Being open, its a pleasant contrast to the feel of the Westminster St area, where the sky is never visible.

I would agree but Providence already has alot of open space ( plus the whole waterfront ) Its nice but you need buildings to some degree inorder to keep the rest of the city nice. I think the G-Tech will look alot better inperson than on paper.

I agree, there's too much traffic at the corner of Memorial and Francis, it isn't really a nice area for a green space. The Station Park across from the State House is though, and I wish the city would improve that area.

the only problem with adding anything to The Station Park is that you wont be able to hold large events and as the lots fill up on the waterfront you'll have nowhere else to host.

I'll agree its not the most upbeat of open areas. It kind of has "void" look to it.

Archived