COMPLETE: GTECH Center

I personally don't understand what was wrong with the initial design. I think the contextual brick building was far better than the glass one.

That being said, I don't have any problem with the current design, per se. Though I strongly agree with Garris. Sure, glass and concrete modern buildings always look good in renderings ... but the quality of materials (or lack there of) can produce some ugly real-life results.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the results. Now if only the city will cut down on its damnedable bureaucrasy and get those other nearby lots developed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only problem with adding anything to The Station Park is that you wont be able to hold large events and as the lots fill up on the waterfront you'll have nowhere else to host.

I'll agree its not the most upbeat of open areas. It kind of has "void" look to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I think Station Park should remain open space. I don't know if it is targeted for future development or not, the train tunnel underneath is a challenge to developing it. I would like to see some low rise townhouses right next to the station behind the American Express building, I think those would have great potential with the train station right there, and the State House right in their front yard.

The rest I think should remain open as a kind of Rhode Island Common, but I think they need to upgrade the Park. Most of the year the lawn is a mud hole, they need to address drainage. The edges of the park need to be defined with plantings and walls and fences. I'd also like to see a permanent stage constructed, along the lines of the Hatchshell in Boston (but not so large) and there should be bathroom facilities that can be opened during an event. During events people bypass the port-o-potties and go over to Borders. When there isn't an event they should be closed, there's facilties at the train station and in the mall, there's no need to maintain bathrooms in the park 365 days a year.

Now if only the city will cut down on its damnedable bureaucrasy and get those other nearby lots developed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think Cicilline is on board with working to cut the red tape and corruption in the city. I think the Police Department has improved dramatically under his watch, and I think public safety is the most important issue in the city, and I'm glad it was the mayor's primary focus early on. He seems to be looking to fight with the Governor over taxes, and lowering (or at least not raising any further) the property taxes is going to be very important for him being re-elected. East Siders especially are not happy right now. At the same time focus seems to have shifted to zoning and long term development plans.

I think with GTECH, Hotel Providence and other developements Downcity, the renovation plans at the Holiday Inn, and this new Citizens HQ rumour, we may finally be hitting a wave and coming out of the post-9/11 post-Plunder Dome slump. Could be enough for the 'wait and see' developers to finally take the plunge.

I think its written into law that plot cannot be developed, in result blocking the view of the capital building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably right, they would want to preserve the view of the State House from Waterplace. I usually hate preserving views issues, but that one I'm OK with, they just need to fix the park.

Also what is the Citizens HQ rumour?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's in this thread. The Providence Foundation had a meeting a couple weeks ago, and at that meeting someone said that Citizens was planning a new 'campus' in Providence along the river.

No official announcement has come from Citizens yet, that I know of, they were kind of releasing a sneek peek at things to come.

Well that Boston Financial building is vacant. Wonder if they are thinkking about that spot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they're looking at the Boston Financial Building because the rumour was about them building something new.

I don't know why I didn't even think of Capital Centre as "along the river." I immediately pictured a building on Allens Ave., someone else speculated that it might be next to Heritage Harbor on Eddy Street. But it could be in the parking lots behind and beside the current Citizens Building. It would make sense to use the work 'campus' if they were building a second building for themselves at the same site.

--Actually, I think the exact term was waterfront, which is what made me think Allens Avenue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder who's view of the capitol is threatened by GTECH? Are there people who spend their days standing on the corner of Francis and Memorial gazing lovingly at the State House? The only people who could possible have their views affected are the guests at the Marriott, and guess what, they don't live here, and don't need jobs here so they can go screw.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GTECH's not going to block residential views, or even many views of the State House from commercial buildings. There's just a sense that the SH will feel a little more removed from the city, not something people will see peripherally anymore. Anyway, it'd be nice if the building we taller, but the office market is super-soft, and GTECH's only occupying around a third of the building. Tough to figure out how to convince them to build even higher.

If there's this much debate over GTECH blocking views, we're in for lengthy and ridiculous battles as the eastern parcels (where there are taller buildings planned, just off College Hill) come in for their final approvals.

If there's this much debate over GTECH blocking views, we're in for lengthy and ridiculous battles as the eastern parcels (where there are taller buildings planned, just off College Hill) come in for their final approvals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not so sure about this... I'll have to look at the geography again, but I think if someone's view would be blocked by the eastern parcels, they're likely already blocked by Citizen's HQ. Most people in those College Hill/East Side homes affected likely bought those properties because they want a city skyline view and, if anything, those taller buildings give them a more dramatic skyline to gaze at.

Those taller buildings also won't be quite so close to so many traditionally styled structures, so I don't think they'll be the soul searching there was about G-Tech.

- Garris

Most people in those College Hill/East Side homes affected likely bought those properties because they want a city skyline view and, if anything, those taller buildings give them a more dramatic skyline to gaze at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, the Capital Cove proposal calls for buildings no more than 3 floors and the East Siders were calling fowl. :rolleyes:

The area along Canal Street across from Roger Williams Memorial is slated for low-rise townhouses. The two parking lots behind Citizens will hopefully see something high someday, expect a fight there.

I thought that the Capitol Cove project was only initially going to be the two rows of low-rise apartments, and that the problem the folks to the east had was with the highrises that would go up as "phase two". Was that part of the plan cancelled? I hope not. I was really looking forward to the three high-rise towers accompanying the rest of the project. It would add so much density to capital center, especially when combined with the nearby parcel 2 (which I hope still has a "phase two" of it's own) and all the other madness that's going on in the area.

I'm not sure that Capital Cove has a phase 2, I could be wrong. I think the entire thing will be north of Park Row and the parcels closer to Citizens are not part of it, I could be wrong though.

One thing that East Siders were crying about (which is actually somewhat valid) is the roofs of the townhouses. They wanted to ensure that the roofs would be finished and that they would not be looking down on tar paper and air conditioning units, and I believe the architect addressed that.

I'm not sure if the townhouses will rise in elevation towards the train station, which is a level up from Canal Street. They could impact the view of the base of the state house by people lower down on the hill. I seem to remember people lower down the hill being concerned about their views. My answer to that was, you should not expect a view if you're a ways down a hill.

Now I'm wondering what the roof of GTECH will look like from the Westin, not that I give a damn about what kind of views tourists have but it would be unfortunate for a visitors view of Waterplace to be marred by ugly equipment on the roof of GTECH. Hopefully all that stuff will go in the 'tower.'

There originally was supposed to be three high rises coming up out of this project.  I know I remembered reading about it somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds a lot like Parcel 2. Two highrises for condos/apts, with an optional third hotel vs. condo later.

- Garris

glassandsteel is right, here's the original article on Capital Cove.

The latest residential development springing up in Providence's Capital Center is a proposal for three high-rises and two lower-level apartment buildings on Parcel 6, a curved lot near the State House.

The design review committee of the Capital Center Commission on Nov. 4 approved the first phase of Brookline, Mass. based developer R.S. Roth, Inc.'s plan, which includes two lower-scale apartment buildings, which president Rovert S. Roth estimates will cost a little under $30 million.

I can't believe that I totally forgot that towers were part of this proposal, I guess I'm so used to never getting anything tall here.

If so, there's gonna be quite a bit of construction going on in that part of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was talk last year of having a staging area for contractors, and actually creating a shuttle service for some of the workers. Then it looked like GTECH might be the only project, but now we have GTECH, Masonic Temple, Parcel 2, and Capital Cove all in tight quarters. I would assume that the staging area shuttle plan is back on the table.

• 2 weeks later...

My sources say Legal Seafood will be moving into a retail spot within the new G-Tech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My stomach thanks your sources! :)

I have a gift certificate to them, I gotta check the experation date.

Bye-bye McCormack's...

blush.gif I know we have been shown a rendering of the"One Ten Westminster" 32 story tower... which also showed a good bit of downtown. Is it possible tha someone can use a similar photo, pull back a little to show more of the city, and add in new projects such as parcel 2, Gtech, the Westin addition, I think you get the idea..Hilton, Powerblock..etc. BTW this is my first posting (I've been reading for quite a while) I am from cranston (5 minutes south of Prov) and I have great pride for Providence and hope all of these projects do get completed. I would love in about 4 years, after all the current projects are completed for Providence to be recognized on National news or something wink.gif And I also have a question about ex-mayor cianci's "New Cities" idea.. I just wanna know if that is still in talks...for any generation?? smile.gif grin.png sorry if I have any typos..my hands are frozen. http://www.pbn.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/...stration/1d.jpg

that is the image-- and there is a bigger one that shows much more of providence but i cant find the link...but i mean can we have an even wider spectrum of all of the new projects?

~Mike

Archived