Springfield

vicupstate

These things (bars, retail, etc.) are beginning to pop up very quickly around downtown.  In the past couple of months, several establishments have opened.  These include The Mudville Grill (sports bar), The Burrito Gallery, The Twisted Martini (martini bar), Mongo's Flat Hot Grill (restaurant), Big Pete's Pizzaria, Improv Jacksonville (comedy club), Ieyasu of Toyko, Jag's Cafe, Tiara (womens shoes & apparel) and Vaccaro (women's apparel).

Since the success of the Super Bowl, there have been reports that, there are at least three leases are in the works for different chains, such as Starbucks, Atlanta Bread & Carraba's.  Also a two story bar is expected to open in the Suddath building, after the success of a temporary one, during super bowl week.  It looks like Bay Street will very well become downtown's version of Tampa's Ybor City or Orlando's Orange Avenue, quicker than expected.

Like you said, these places are the type of establishments needed to have a vibrant downtown.  Judging from the past couple of months, they're coming, now its up for local residents to get out and support them, instead of spending all our money in far out places like Tinseltown or Orange Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good job (and to you Vic also) providing factual evidence in the face of blanket allegations ("Downtown is just not developing", etc...) BritainNY, take some advice and if you are looking to make a buck, obviously Springfield (according to you) isn't the place to do it now. Look at starting a business or buying commercial property on Bay St...actually I bet you the price of Bay St leases/prices has jumped 25% in the last year...that is just a guess though---anyone have leasing numbers on Bay St? But nonetheless, I bet it is still a bargain compared to what it will be 3 years from now (when the rest of the universe knows it is a hot spot to invest) because there it will be the hot spot to hang out downtown.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun topic. My partners and I have been working on converted use of commercial buildings in the distressed and urban core neighborhood of Springfield since 1999. Some of our projects there and downtown have been mentioned in this thread.

I thought I would share something that has been important to our model and our associated state of mind.

We developed a maxim that basically said this: Don't try to change anyones mind about Springfield (or Downtown, or Brooklyn, or wherever). Folks have to change their own mind (SPAR brochures will not help as we have seen here). People may ask for input so they can make a decision, but sometimes thats a transparent provocation to make them feel better about some personal decision. For every hour you spend throwing facts at a nay-sayer, you could have served the folks who are interested in whats right about the neighborhood. And there are far more of those type people in my everyday life.

Frankly some of my best friends lived in Springfield before any of the neighborhood started its "turn". Its false to think that there is or will be a new set of residents and some utopic Celebration or Seaside. Springfield's growth is organic, the neighborhood is diverse, it has crime, it has beauty. Visit it, discuss it, enjoy it, even analyze it, but don't think that it needs to be graded, because it doesn't. Its stronger than any market analysis good OR bad and will out live us all.

On the same tip- So many folks don't want Downtown to work for whatever reason. I could care less; Because there are more and more beautiful spaces and people every day. I'm experiencing it. If you're really interested, come down and experience it too. If you need some sort of market justification read the biz journal. Don't ask questions that you have already prepared answers to and hesitate before you say there is little going on, especially if you know thats not true. Its a little creepy.

Can't wait to see the parking and panhandling threads. I create parking problems!

Are prices unreasonably high in Springfield? I don't care! :w00t:

Happy St Valentines to all :wub:

We developed a maxim that basically said this: Don't try to change anyones mind about Springfield (or Downtown, or Brooklyn, or wherever). Folks have to change their own mind (SPAR brochures will not help as we have seen here). People may ask for input so they can make a decision, but sometimes thats a transparent provocation to make them feel better about some personal decision. For every hour you spend throwing facts at a nay-sayer, you could have served the folks who are interested in whats right about the neighborhood. And there are far more of those type people in my everyday life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent advise that I will try to be mindful of.

I realize that some minds are not open to change, but it is difficult to see only one side presented, on something you feel passionately about.

Well, thanks for all the feedback ( I think). Didn't mean to ruflle any feathers or come off as a 'naysayer' , I just think sometimes you need to stand back & see a situation for what it is. I'm a city grl who grew up partying in London, & no one would like to see downtown take off more than me. As far as Springfield, I was hoping to buy a home for investment purposes & to enjoy also but my feelings on the current price situation is the same. I will be watching closely to see if people start paying those prices...if they do, then well done to those sellers & too bad for me. :(

Well, thanks for all the feedback ( I think).  Didn't mean to ruflle any feathers or come off as a 'naysayer' , I just think sometimes you need to stand back & see a situation for what it is. I'm a city grl who grew up partying in London, & no one would like to see downtown take off more than me. As far as Springfield, I was hoping to buy a home for investment purposes & to enjoy also but my feelings on the current price situation is the same. I will be watching closely to see if people start paying those prices...if they do, then well done to those sellers & too bad for me. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't want to imply that you were a naysayer. Sorry for that. What threw me what "not much is happening" which is nuts. Alot is happening and it has happened very fast, ergo rapidly rising prices.

Forum Peoples can get caught up trying to get facts out to those who seem like they want them, and sometimes thats a bad use of time (IMO). When my family bought the house we live in, we couldn't afford what we needed in Springfield in 2001. It was down-right cheap then (comparably). If the overprice theory holds true, there should be some bargains on the horizon. Best of luck and hope to see you in the core.

:)

This question is obviously for a Springfield resident to answer: Can you hear the fire engine's siren at night? I was just thinking if someone lived within close proximity to the fire Station on 4th & Main ( I think that's where it is) the noise could become problematic. Also, because Main St runs through the heart of Springfied, are police sirens a common sound at night? Again, not trying to be negative, just trying to get a complete picture of 'living' there.

I'm sure the occasional fire siren is a pain to some. All the boroughs have central stations, but I love city noises. Big Jim being my favorite, 7, 8, 12, 1, & my true love 5. The trains which come very close by my Avondale house all night are cool with me too.

Like Chuck D says... Bring the noise.

I also like gridlock. Gridlock is good and announcements are cheap. Parking is not peoples problem its walking.

See you on the art walk...March 2! :D

I'm at 7th & Liberty,so FS#2 really does not bother me too much.I do have the 8th street corridor to deal with,but to be quite honest,I'm simply used to the sounds of Springfield.Shands Lifeflight,police helicopters,Fire,police or ambulance sirens,Boom Boom cars going by that rattle my windows and the occasionlly loud mouth drunk walking down the street at 3 or 4 in the morning.Such is urban living. :whistling:

Early morning brings in the birds singing in the tree canopy and I mean a lot of birds,Big Jim at 1st and Main,train sounds fromTalleyrand or Swisher area,then come sounds of saws,hammers and music from the folks working on their homes.Kids playing,mowers & blowers running & dogs barking.This is what I hear.

Sorry folks,I went way off topic, I just wanted to show that people can look at anything in variety of ways you just have to decide how ya want to see,or in this case hear it. :thumbsup:

Big Jim blows at 8 also? :o

Well, thanks for all the feedback ( I think).  Didn't mean to ruflle any feathers or come off as a 'naysayer' , I just think sometimes you need to stand back & see a situation for what it is. I'm a city grl who grew up partying in London, & no one would like to see downtown take off more than me. As far as Springfield, I was hoping to buy a home for investment purposes & to enjoy also but my feelings on the current price situation is the same. I will be watching closely to see if people start paying those prices...if they do, then well done to those sellers & too bad for me. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers either. All opinions should be welcomed here. Welcome to the forum BritainNY, and I look forward to your insights on future topics. Any ideas from London that might be beneficial to Jax would be especially welcome. I went there last August for the first time and loved it.

It is certainly true that a lot of people got priced out of the Springfield market, in a quick period of time, which is a shame. It's impossible to control market forces, but there's no telling how many people would have moved to Springfield and been excellent residents, but waited too long to act, and now can't afford it.

i also personally feel that Springfield is priced too high right now and that the market won't float the current prices too much longer. Avondale, Riverside & San Marco? More appropriately priced...but no way for that price in Springfield now. That is not to say that the area won't continue to revitalize, but in my opinion, the area will go through a mild residential pricing slump for a bit (1-2 years?) while other hotter area prices will continue a steady rise.

Do they still have the London Eye up & running? I went back 2 years ago & took a ride.

I'm not sure that I have any original ideas for downtown based on London as most major Metro areas need the same things to thrive. I will say though, ( but this might just be an England thing) London, Birmingham, Bristol, etc big cities in England, all had an extremely rich support & enthusiasm for local music talent. It was everywhere, districts were known for producing famous musicians & I'm sure it's the same up north in the US. A downtown area must be an area that kids can come and test out their music with 100% support from bars & patrons, etc. Music studios for rehearsing & recording should be downtown along with venues. I'm talking about a 'young scene' though, obviously much more needs to be done in the way of affordable housing/lofts/apts before any of that can happen.

^I would love to see a more....thorough Performing Arts Center downtown. I love the Times-Union Center, but there really isn't any dedicated space for dance, recording, rehearsals, education, and artist-in-residence. Maybe way way way down the road we'll get a new PAC, capable of hosting more events, rather than just theatre and the symphony.

Brittainny, you are wrong about there being no affordable options in Springfield. My wife (a realtor) looked on the net and found many options in Springfield for less than $150,000. There is currently a very dilapidated home on 7th Street listed for only $39,000. If you put $100,000 into it, it would be worth $200,000. There are homes in better states of repair too. A duplex on 5th Street for $130,000, a 4-plex on 4th Street for $159,000, a 4 bedroom home on Liberty Street for $172,000. These are cheap in terms of price per square foot compared to Riverside, San Marco, and even Arlington. Now, you may have to make repairs on some of these, but nothing good in life comes easy. I think if you look around and have imagination, you can have a great house in Springfield. If you are interested, let me know and she can show you some properties.

Well theyr are fixing Springfield nicely,good number of houses are alredy renovated and more are working on....My question is if and when are they gonna resurface roads or maybe even reconstruct them from ground up in Springfield...that would make whole area brand new place....right now with those roads still looks "gheto".

The roads definately need to be repaved. I am hoping they are just waiting for some of the construction of houses to complete. Everytime a house is built they dig up the road to connect the gas/water/sewer. Also, are they planning on renovating 8th street east of Main St?

8th is being done from the RR tracks just east of Ionia, to the MLK overpass as we speak.From Main to the tracks will go to bid around the middle of the year according to the city folks at the pulic meeting I went to last week.It will look similar to West 8th without much of the center median.It will improve this corridor tremendously.Unbelievable infrastructure repair had to be made to improve this stretch of road.

Archived