Springfield

vicupstate

I don't think the city can stop it. The way I understand it is that the GSA is mandated to give this to a homeless shelter use as crazy as that sounds. I think the best way is to discourage the use by the org. It should be historically protected and all renovations would need to consider that which would make it a very very nice and expensive shelter, even if they did the building for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a springfield resident and a member of the architecture community in Jacksonville, I can tell you I don't care if they make it the most beautiful building in Jacksonville. It's the type of people going in it that I am worried about. It may not even be a homeless shelter, it may become a half-way house, a place that will be inhabited by drug dealers, sex offenders and predators, not to mention a parade of other criminals.

I don't believe someone wanting to find a place to move there family is going to say: "Hey so what if a sexual predator walks by my lawn everyday to go to the half-way house, it sure is historically accurate, and very,very nice.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this goes through, it is by far the most outrageous thing to have occured in Jacksonville since it was burned down by Union troops in the 1860s. There has to be a way to stop this. I am gonna try and go to the meeting, although I am concerned that some of y'all think it may be a fait accompli.

I wonder why none of these dirtbag country club liberals ever propose these types of things for neighborhoods where they live, like the beaches. On a similar note, I found a great multi-family in Springfield several months ago which I almost bought, until I found out the 4-plex next door was a halfway house known as "Prisoners of Christ". The bottom line it is the time for Springfield being used as a dumping ground for the refuse of the city to come an end!

As a springfield resident and a member of the architecture community in Jacksonville, I can tell you I don't care if they make it the most beautiful building in Jacksonville.  It's the type of people going in it that I am worried about.  It may not even be a homeless shelter, it may become a half-way house, a place that will be inhabited by drug dealers, sex offenders and predators, not to mention a parade of other criminals.

I don't believe someone wanting to find a place to move there family is going to say:  "Hey so what if a sexual predator walks by my lawn everyday to go to the half-way house, it sure is historically accurate, and very,very nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should have been more clear that I think that if it were protected it would be a great enough financial hurdle to develop even if it got the land for free. More importantly since only an "act of congress" can stop it on the government side (go to the meeting and you will learn this) you must oppose the org. I think one of the best ways to fight/stall this is to show how significant the structure is historically while activating the neighborhood to oppose on its quality of life impact which seems clear.

If you attack saying that there will be sexual predators, all they have to do is make it for single and abused moms. I should have been more clear. I'm not for this building becoming a homeless shelter. I think it should go to market like all real estate that is not producing income enough to support its tax assessment. There is better property available for a shelter use. Go to the meeting. out

There appears to be a large number expected to make the meeting, and I think pressure is being put on the org, from what I have heard. I think if we really take the org to task on what all they have to go through to inhabit the buidling, they won't want it.

Spar, the historic board, planning....hopefully it won't be feasible and they won't make it out of the process. ;)

Also the Temple is supposedly the second one in Jacksonville, so hopefully some of the Jewish leaders in the city will fight it from being turned over to River Region Health Services.

The intelligent thing for this charity to do, if it gets the property is to sell it and build/buy a building in a more appropriate location. In addition to the bad setting in the neighborhood, it doesnt seem that this location is a good one for a shelter as it has limited storage/parking or room for expansion. I think the city could deny a rezoning for this new use too (although people are so terrified of appearing insensitive these days). :sick:

And, I think The Urb brings up a fine point: why, in this time of federal budget deficits, are the feds giving away prime real estate which could be sold for profit?? This is so stupid.

Several more emails from SPAR were just sent out:

Please feel free to email the Mayor and City Council regarding River Regions Human Services turning the old Job Corp Building into a Homeless Shelter.  Just cut and paste the addresses.  See you all at Wednesday nights meeting; 7:30 at Henrietta's Gallery.

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

It has been recommended that any legislator or city official be faxed and mailed hard copies of faxes for important, time sensitive information. This is supposed to be more effective and especially advised for realtors and residents of Springfield to

It is now time for professional legal representation. SRG Homes has retained the services of Smith, Gambrell to enforce our neighborhood's legal rights. If you share our disgust for continued inappropriate government intrusion in Historic Springfield, join us in supporting a legal defense fund. We will have a table at the Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. meeting at Henrietta's to accept donations to enforce the legal rights of Historic Springfield. It is time to fight fire with fire.

Mack Bissette

CEO, SRG Homes & Neighborhoods, LLC

I think this is going to be something that pushes Springfield even harder towards its goal and unifies the residents. Hope anyone that can make the meeting will.

---Hint Hint----

This could be a great chance for UP to organize a little and oppose this. Nice test the waters sort of task. So far about 37 people have said they are here. Good sead group, even if only 10 of us do something...

---Hint Hint----

---Hint Hint----

This could be a great chance for UP to organize a little and oppose this. Nice test the waters sort of task. So far about 37 people have said they are here. Good sead group, even if only 10 of us do something...

---Hint Hint----

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or, even better, we could work together to build public housing and a homeless shetler/drug rehab center in northwest St. Johns county! ;)

Captain: I agree. I think the noble homeless deserve an oceanfront home in St Johns County. Only the best for our vagrants.

As to the hiring of the lawyers, this is a good sign. Where do I volunteer?? SRG has millions tied up in this area and has much to lose. This outrageous govt action will harm so many people and the worst thing is it doesnt really help the homeless either, most of whom need to be in a secure mental health facility, not downtown.

By the way, I just heard of a realtor about to get the first $500,000 + contract on a house in Springfield too. This could kill that deal too, of course.

Or, even better, we could work together to build public housing and a homeless shetler/drug rehab center in northwest St. Johns county! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Y'know, you kind of have a point. The homeless/transient population is actually overserved in the core when compared to other parts of town. IF River Regions were really concerned about reaching someone any of the other six shelters Downtown isn't, they would seek property at the beach or in Mandarin (yes, Mandarin has homeless people -- I have seen them living in the woods off of SR 16 and off of St. Augustine Rd.; they have shopping carts and everything). I don't see what RRHS hopes to accomplish here.

The homeless/transient population is actually overserved in the core when compared to other parts of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right. That's one of the key factors behind the death of the American downtown circa 1950-1970.

About the same time that freeways opened up the suburbs for development, all of our enlightened bureaucrats and bleeding hearts decided to fill up downtowns with public housing projects, homeless shelters, and a public service organization every block. Of course, the people responsible quickly moved into the suburbs with everyone else, where single-use zoning and neighborhood organizations prevented such developements.

Europeans love to brag about how lovely their core cities are compared to America (which is true). But they usually forget to mention how they stick most of their undesireables out in the suburbs ... whereas we chose to rape our downtowns.

I recieved a response to my email to Peyton.

Thank you for writing Mayor Peyton regarding River Region Human Services' proposal to procure the old Job Corps building.  He is out of the office this week, so I am responding on his behalf to your concerns.

At this early stage, the fate of the building, which is owned by the federal government, is still undetermined.  Currently, the city has no role in its disposition. The General Services Administration (GSA) is the federal department that is involved in the disposal of the federal surplus property.  We understand they are still reviewing River Region's application but the property has not been awarded to them.

There will be a Springfield neighborhood meeting on Wednesday, June 8th at 7:30 p.m. at Henrietta's Restaurant (corner of 9th & Main Street) regarding this issue.  Representatives from the city's Planning & Zoning Department and Historic Preservation Commission, as well as a representative from the GSA, are scheduled to attend. 

Thanks again for writing Mayor Peyton.  He will be following this issue very closely.

Sincerely,

Jill Leavy

Written Communications

Office of the Mayor

That is a shame that the city wants to put the center where it will hurt the continued development in Springfield. Count me in to support the effort by UP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The federal government are the ones wating to give the building away. I'm sure the city doesn't want to see the higher taxes they are bringing in because of the rising property values to diminish.

Best of luck. I would also urge a calm demeanor. A fighting and divisive attitude (in my opinion) will motivate and galvanize the other side, who, it seems to me is in an uphill battle. They will find a lot of support if they look like an underdog and the rich new Springfield is poking its finger in their chest..

Just some unsolicited advice..

The federal government are the ones wating to give the building away.  I'm sure the city doesn't want to see the higher taxes they are bringing in because of the rising property values to diminish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is my mistake. I meant to write about the federal government but I wrote city instead.

RG: Yes. That would not be a good idea. If it gets ugly I'm quite sure the neighborhood would be the one to lose. The feds rarely lose and this time it takes an actual "act of congress" on their side.

The only hope is to make RR change their mind about where they want their next project by making it too expensive. Its easily a 10 million dollar rehab, probably more if done to preservation standards.

Maybe winn dixie should throw in their hangar.

Stay cool Springfield. B)

RG: Yes. That would not be a good idea. If it gets ugly I'm quite sure the neighborhood would be the one to lose. The feds rarely lose and this time it takes an actual "act of congress" on their side.

The only hope is to make RR change their mind about where they want their next project by making it too expensive. Its easily a 10 million dollar rehab, probably more if done to preservation standards.

Maybe winn dixie should throw in their hangar.

Stay cool Springfield.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It shouldn't take an act of congress. The Springfield overlay prohibits a property that sits vacant over 1 year, which the Job Corp has, to be turned into a homeless shelter. It should be as simple as that.

Archived