Springfield

vicupstate

Also coming soon is the Springfield 5K. It begins at 4:30 p.m. on April 23. Late start but it's followed by happy hour at 9th & Main. :w00t:

I hear the $12 fee includes free food and beer. Oh, and a shirt.

(In case anyone is interested, the forms are available on the 9th & Main Cafe counter.)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's lead editorial in the Times-Union:

SPRINGFIELD: Up from the ashes

Ancient mythology tells of the phoenix, a majestic bird that is consumed by flames -- only to have a new bird, just as beautiful and mighty as the old one, rise from its ashes and soar to new heights.

In a sense, it could be said, that also is the story of the historic Jacksonville neighborhood known as Springfield.

Other than for the brief period that it served as a "tent city" for U.S. troops headed for Cuba during the Spanish-American War, a Times-Union article indicates, Springfield was largely unin- habited until 1901.

Then came the "great fire" -- which the Times-Union says swept through 148 blocks of the city, leaving about 9,000 people homeless. For the next two decades, there was a major construction boom in Springfield.

These were not cheap, ram- shackle huts. They were, in many cases, resplendent Victorian homes.

Unfortunately, all of Springfield was classified "business" in a 1925 zoning ordinance.

With businesses springing up hodge-podge across the neighborhood, the Times-Union says, homeowners began leaving Springfield for "residence only" neighborhoods such as nearby Riverside. Property values fell sharply, tenement dwellers moved in and the area declined.

Government tried to help in the 1960s when it imposed housing codes. But low-income owners and landlords couldn't afford to make the improvements, so a lot of historic houses deteriorated or were razed.

Crime increased and crack houses sprung up.

The future looked bleak, even as recently as 1992 when the city designated Springfield a historic district and started giving tax breaks for rehabilitating historic structures. Even in 1998, when the city began a major infrastructure project, skeptics doubted that a lot of people would move back into such a blighted neighborhood.

They were wrong, of course. A large number of the houses have been beautifully restored. Housing prices are up, crime is down and even littering -- once a terrible problem -- seems to have decreased.

New housing, with Victorian- style looks to complement the surroundings, started going up five years ago.

Now, the Times-Union reports a local company plans to build an $8 million retail and condominium complex on what is now a used-car lot at the corner of Main and Third streets.

The 40 new condos at that site won't be on the level of the Peninsula, the affluent 37-story high-rise on the river near San Marco, of course, but they no doubt will be nice. And they will stand as another reminder that this area is coming back to life after decades of decay.

A new day is dawning in Springfield.

###

What excites me about the editorial is that the paper of record is recognizing the growth so far and that yet to come of a neighborhood that's been neglected for years, and which many people still consider to be run-down and crime-infested. It says Springfield is not only on its way back but is ready to overtake its former thriving self.

Every day I love this neighborhood a little more, which will make it harder to eventually leave. :blush:

Homeless or vagrants started this i'll bet,it being a little chilly this morming.I saw someone just the other day come out a small hole in the back side of this building.Owners should secure their property better and I should have reported it then.Hope all the firefighters will be OK.

By BRIDGET MURPHY, The Times-Union

Three Jacksonville firefighters were hurt Friday in a blaze authorities said someone purposely set in the garage of a six-story abandoned downtown hotel at Ocean and State streets.

The fire broke out about 10:45 a.m., sending up a thick plume of black smoke as several fire companies converged on the scene downtown, using saws and sledge hammers to force their way inside the ground floor.

Firefighters found no one inside the former Park View Inn when they swept the building after getting reports a child and a woman might be inside, authorities said.

Several firefighters carried fire Engineer Richard Barrett, the fire chief's son, out of a wall they breached in the first story after he was hurt inside the fire. He was taken to Baptist Medical Center with a leg and ankle injury.

Two other firefighters also suffered minor injuries and went to Baptist, including firefighter J.F. Mooneyham, who suffered an injury to his right wrist after falling inside the building.

Firefighters treat fire Engineer Richard Barrett after carrying him out of a fire at a downtown building. He suffered injuries to his left leg and ankle.

BRIDGET MURPHY/The Times-Union

The garage was filled with mattresses and evidence that someone set the fire, Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department spokeswoman Bennie Seth said.

Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department personnel work the scene of a fire at the abandoned Park View Inn at the corner of Ocean and State streets downtown.

RICK WILSON/The Times-Union

She said there was a city hearing scheduled for today to condemn the building.

Main Street Bakery & Deli to expand hours

As Springfield strengthens its reputation as an up-and-coming part of Downtown, one business that fits right in is Main Street Bakery & Deli.

Owned by Springfield resident Jim Huntress, the restaurant has a cool, laid-back feel accentuated by the local art displayed on the wall. The back patio also is open in time for the warm weather and will feature live music. Huntress says the restaurant, which has five employees, is just open for breakfast and lunch, but by the end of the month he plans to serve dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 5-11 p.m.

Popular breakfast selections include omelettes and French toast, and breakfasts generally range from $3.50-6. A breakfast special is offered for $3.29 as well. For lunch, some popular sandwiches include the reuben, patty melt, Philly steak and pastrami. Lunches run $6-$7 and include a side item and iced tea or coffee. All salads are made-to-order, and all the bread is baked at the restaurant.

Huntress, who does most of the cooking and baking, added that he makes 90 percent of the desserts himself as well, including eclairs, cannoli and cream rolls. Bakery items cost $1-3.

Huntress said that he opened Main Street Bakery & Deli to fill a niche and he has many regular customers. The restaurant draws patrons from the nearby school board office, fire and police stations and Shands Hospital. He said he has customers who come from as far as Orange Park, and one loyal patron comes all the way from Fernandina for Huntress

So, how does this area saftey wise compare... I currently live in an Apt in Mandrin, and feel comfortable, lived in Arlington, and was scared to go to my car in most areas. How does this compare. Im started to look for a house and was wondering if it is worth moving into this area... Basicly, is it safe yet. I know its coming, but is it close enough yet. Most of the houses you see on realtor.com look very run down in the area.

Anyway, any thoughts are helpful

Cheers

So, how does this area saftey wise compare... I currently live in an Apt in Mandrin, and feel comfortable, lived in Arlington, and was scared to go to my car in most areas. How does this compare. Im started to look for a house and was wondering if it is worth moving into this area...  Basicly, is it safe yet. I know its coming, but is it close enough yet. Most of the houses you see on realtor.com look very run down in the area.

Anyway, any thoughts are helpful

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few times I've (accidentally) forgotten to lock my door at night or when I'm out for the day. Although I live upstairs in a quadriplex and my door is a little difficult to access, forgetting to lock up hasn't been a problem.

I ride my bike to and from work and anytime I go home after dark, I haven't been bothered. Rarely do I pass another pedestrian. (I take this as a good sign - people are at home, or somewhere other than Main Street.)

The only time I've heard something that was troublesome was the night I moved in. I heard one gunshot, and it sounded like it was a few blocks east of me. But I haven't seen or heard anything else since.

Is it safe yet? I live with my cat and I'm a very small woman. I don't have any sort of "protection" like a gun. The closest I have is knowing all my neighbors and knowing we all look out for one another. It's just me and I feel safe -- safe enough to forget to lock my door and ride a bike at night.

Here's an article about Springfield in this weeks Business Journal

Rediscovering Springfield

Development money pumps new life into old Downtown suburb

Dolly Penland

Staff Writer

As more people choose to live in Jacksonville's urban areas, the renewed interest in urban dwelling has sparked renewed business interest in Springfield, one of the oldest residential suburbs in the city.

"In the last three years especially, we've absolutely seen revitalization in leaps and bounds," said Louise DeSpain, president of the Springfield Preservation & Revitalization Council Inc. "New business is coming in, new families are coming in, new houses are being built and more of the grand old homes are being restored. It's an urban area people want to live in and work in."

The nearly one-square mile Springfield district includes 1,800 new and historic houses, and more than 6,000 residents.

For rest of article, click here.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso...18/smallb1.html

• 2 weeks later...

Prices have skyrocketed in Springfield (in addition to other older sections around downtown). I do think some owners are profiteering without having done any rehab (i.e. I saw some multi-families for sale where the owners, who have done nothing to the properties and bought them a year ago or less, wanted to double or triple their money). Given the blight which still afflicts much of the area, I decided to buy a new place in Riverside (havent closed yet though). I still support Springfield though, I just wish all the property owners would actually rehab their properties rather than simply holding them and gambling that prices will rise.

I know a friend of mine was doing that... but he would actually fix the house up (do it himself mind you) He's bought a duplex out there, fixed it and is now renting. so some of the profiteers out there are doing good...

I am not at all opposed to the free market and I think the owners can do what they want, but I looked to buy one condemned duplex which the owners had bought about a year earlier for maybe $35,000. They were asking about $150,000 for it now, have done NOTHING to it and it probably needed $150,000 in rehab done to it. This is just pure speculation and is not good for the whole neighborhood. Why would I buy this when I could get a fairly renovated 4-plex in Riverside for $310,000?? I think a price correction may be in order over there in Springfield and this would benefit everyone in the long run.

A lot of this speculation is going on here now.The market at some point will weed this practice out.IMO.The best deal today is to buy a city auction property,usually for the back taxes owed.Their having one next week according to a friend that is trying for a Ionia St. house.Taxes owed were 3800.00 or so. Sold to the highest bidder.House looked as though it was broken into apts or rooms so the condition was not known.

I did not buy mine for monetary gain back in 98,I just loved the house.Being single I had no worries for safety,other than my own.It is a very changed hood since 98,but we still have a ways to go.

By the way,I paid 20,000. for mine but I won't tell ya what I have in it.Let us just say I'm happy with my decision to locate here. :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Springfield leading in development

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

Downtown stakeholders looking to attract more residential and retail development should look to Springfield as an example, according to a real estate research firm hired by the City to analyze the market.

The City hired Miami

Email from SPAR:

We need all Historic Springfield residents to attend a meeting on Wednesday, June 8th, 7:30pm at Henriettas (9th & Main Streets).  The Federal Government has given the old Job Corp Building (formerly the Jewish Center) on West 3rd Street between Silver and Blvd. to River Regions Human Resources for a HOMELESS SHELTER!!!!  Needless to say, we have to fight this with everything we have.  A representative from the GSA (Government Service Association) will attend, along with a River Regions representative.  Please tell all of your neighbors and come out to support Springfield's position that this is not an acceptable location for a homeless shelter, which would be a real detriment to Springfield's continued development.

We need your support, so please attend.

I guarantee you the River Regions representative will get an earful. I just hope it does some good. This would be a major blow to Springfield. SPAR wants to turn this building into a museum (a much better alternative).

I like the idea of turning it into a museum, as well. That would really fit well with the Manuscript Museum nearby and revitalizing Klutho/Confederate Parks into an urban recreational area that merges downtown with Springfield. A homeless shelter will completely kill off new development and lower home values in that section of Springfield.

This idea is "off the meter" on stupidity. I take it that this email just went out, yet the meeting is in just a few days away. That makes me think the GSA is trying a stealth aproach.

I wonder who has to approve this? City Council, the Historic Commission, the planning commission, or just the Feds? Can Peyton veto it?

If anyone gets new info. please post it ASAP.

Isn't the existing shelter already expanding? It always pisses me off how these things are never even considered for the 'burbs, only the urban core.

This idea is "off the meter" on stupidity.  I take it that this email just went out, yet the meeting is in just a few days away.  That makes me think the GSA is trying a stealth aproach. 

I wonder who has to approve this?  City Council, the Historic Commission, the planning commission, or just the Feds?  Can Peyton veto it?

If anyone gets new info. please post it ASAP.

Isn't the existing shelter already expanding?  It always pisses me off how these things are never even considered for the 'burbs, only the urban core.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think the city can stop it. The way I understand it is that the GSA is mandated to give this to a homeless shelter use as crazy as that sounds. I think the best way is to discourage the use by the org. It should be historically protected and all renovations would need to consider that which would make it a very very nice and expensive shelter, even if they did the building for free.

Archived