11th Annual Most Dangerious Cities Awards

monsoon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what stats you guys are going by but Austins 2002 murder rate was 3.6 and at it's highest was 7.6 has been in the single digits for every year I can find, 1992, 1997-2002. As for Norfolk, their 2002 murder rate was 17.0 and at it's highest in 1992 was 29.3 and has decreased each year since. Compare that to Detroit which had a murder rate of 41.8 in 2002 and had it's highest in 1992 at 57.0.

I don't know what stats you guys are going by but Austins 2002 murder rate was 3.6 and at it's highest was 7.6 has been in the single digits for every year I can find, 1992, 1997-2002. As for Norfolk, their 2002 murder rate was 17.0 and at it's highest in 1992 was 29.3 and has decreased each year since. Compare that to Detroit which had a murder rate of 41.8 in 2002 and had it's highest in 1992 at 57.0.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't comparing Norfolk with Detroit. Detroit is one of the worse in the country and you can have that.

That's Hartford, 11th cleanest, 5th most dangerous. Hartford has a very poor urban core and very, very affluent suburbs. The city itself can be nasty, but like anywhere else, the whole city isn't like that. Downtown and the West and South Ends are safe, but there are streets where I can almost guarantee you get robbed (or worse) if you walk through at night. The city is efforting toward reversing that trend though, lots of residential development downtown, heavier policing in the worse areas, it's looking brighter for New England's Rising Star....

It will almost surely be #1 this year.  This is judging off of and article I saw recently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope it doesnt end up that way.

New Orleans had been doing better with crime lately (not murder) and I would hate to see the crime rise in N.O. again.

I know the murder rate is continuing to climb here, but some of the other crime is still normal. (In New Orleans Standards)

But, I dont think New Orleans will be able to pass up Atlanta or Detroit in overall crime in the city in the next few years.

I hope im right..

This year, Austin is by no means safe.  While the murder rate was only 30, including several crime areas being lower, Austin had experienced a number of bank robberies throughout the city; it was a problem citywide.  IMO I doubt El Paso is safe either -- Juarez, Mexico is pretty bad across the river.

Uhh... what are you smoking? Yes, there was a group of people who pulled off some robberies earlier this year, but it wasn't the end of the world or anything. Have you ever been here?

Austin is a VERY safe city for its size. I've been through all the "bad" parts of town and wasn't uneasy at all. I've never been in a city where I can walk through a dark alley at night and not have to fear for my life until I moved here.

Matt99 I was under the impression that Camden was number 1 also as I had heard it throught the local media that Hartford was #7. This all is true on the Morgan Quito Awards 11th Annual Safest and Most Dangerous Cities List http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

On this list Camden was the most dangerous then

Detroit

Atlanta

Saint Louis

Gary, Indiana

Washington DC

Hartford

New Orleans

Richmond, VA

AND SO ON

The fact that Hartford and Springfield, MA (#18) made the list really irked me. The viokent crimes in the city of Hartford are confined to the city's North End neighborhood which some say is bad but there are worser neighborhoods in other American cities but it is hard to isolate this neighborhood from the rest of the city because Hartford is only 17 square miles making it one of the smallest cities (size wise) in the USA. Unfortunatly two nights ago the city's 18th homicide of the year occured but overall thanks to a very committed mayor, govenor and a fairly new police cheif crime is down overall.

The muder was in the central business district but is only the 2nd muder to occur in the area this year and they both occured after people left the same night club and the murderers and the victims knew each other thus making it in no way a random act. The central business district is extremly safe, along with many other Hartford neighborhoods including the West End which is home to AETNA, ING Insurance, and the Mark Twain Home, the South End which is Little Italy, the North Meadows which is full of car dealerships, the CT EXPO center and the Dodge Music Center.

There is also billions of dollars of redevelopment happening from the new CT Convention Center (Opened June 2, 2005) and attahced 22 story 409 Room Marriott Hotel (Opening August 25,2005) to the 1200+ new apartments being built downtown including the ones at the civic center (262 apartments in a 36 story residential tower with office and retail space. Numerous office building are being renovated and downtown is now home to Capital Community Techinical College and the UCONN School of Business.

This list is screwed up, Camden, Atlanta, Richmond and Hartford do not belong in the top ten. Camden has some relatively high drime but there are many, many cities with higher crime including Detroit, St. Louis, Gary and Atlanta. In the long run, you have to judge for yourself what is bad by looking at the city and it's stats.

What are your talking about? This takes into account violent crime, and this is the list, period. You want so badly for the information to be different, and it just isn't. I hope you come to know, like the many have on these boards over the years, that perception and reality are more often than not two different things. I also hope that you come to know Detroit better and not from what you simply hear from the media because you live too close to still be so ignorant of it's realities.

And further more, while crime is a problem for many, it's also not much of a problem for many more. Random crime is rare, and random violent crime is ever rarer. The chances of you being a victim of crime are GREATLY reduced if you yourself keep the right company.

This is why I get frustrated and angry with people who still think that visitors have to steer clear of entire cities, or be extra, extra defensive and wary in urban areas when the fact it that you're more likely than not to not be a victim of a random crime and a violent one at that.

For those of you that still think that if you go to let's say Detroit or Gary that you will definitely be a victim of a shooting or car jacking all I have to say is that you have purposefully made the decision to fall into stereotyping, and decidedly closed of your mind to the big picture.

Get real, get aware, and stop perpetuating and peddling perceptions as if it's honest-to-god fact.

What are your talking about?  This takes into account violent crime, and this is the list, period.  You want so badly for the information to be different, and it just isn't.  I hope you come to know, like the many have on these boards over the years, that perception and reality are more often than not two different things.  I also hope that you come to know Detroit better and not from what you simply hear from the media because you live too close to still be so ignorant of it's realities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked those cities overall violent crime rates:

Camden - 1957.9

Detroit - 2274.0

Atlanta - 2743.1

Saint Louis - 2322.5

Gary - 942.2

Washington DC - 1507.7

Hartford - 1118.6

New Orleans - 1131.3

Richmond - 1199.7

And I already know what your going to say, " how could you say Atlanta doesn't deserve to be on the list when it has the highest rate?" Very simple, Atlanta has been falsifying crime rates for some time and there is no reason to beleive why they still aren't, only this time for the worse. When a police cheif practically pleads for his city to be declared the most dangerous in the nation, thats suspcious :wacko: see the story here: http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/crime6.aspx

And you ask how does Gary deserve to be on the list? Because of it's own history of crooked government, it is obviously very, VERY bad, I don't think there needs to be an argument over that at least. And as for Detroit, I've been there enough times to know what it's about, I've also been to enough other cities to realize it ranks low to say the least.

And nobody is saying these cities are to be avoided at all by tourist's, mostly on where to live, and as with any city there are always livable neighborhoods, even in the worst of the worst, probably even Falluja or Bagdad (spelling???). That does not make the city good or acceptable. Look at Hartford, people have spent so much time complaining about Hartford, but Lansing (mine and Lmich's location) has had, and could have, crime as high as Hartford's, it's murder rate was only 12.8. This list makes no since, and has no value because of it's obvious innaccuracies.

Don't even try and compare Hartford and Lansing crime-wise. Their is no competition.

BTW, if ANYTHING, almost every city underreports some amount of crime, and Atlanta probably more so than every other city to save it's image. To suggest Atlanta over reports it's crime is simply laughable, and I'm not even trying to be mean. That's the most ridiculous things I've heard in a very long time.

Don't even try and compare Hartford and Lansing crime-wise.  Their is no competition.

BTW, if ANYTHING, almost every city underreports some amount of crime, and Atlanta probably more so than every other city to save it's image.  To suggest Atlanta over reports it's crime is simply laughable, and I'm not even trying to be mean.  That's the most ridiculous things I've heard in a very long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta did severely underreport their crime for several years leading up to the Olympicas and for some time after it. Now they have a very odd police cheif who insists that Atlanta is crime ridden and the most dangerous in the nation. That is suspicious, why would someone want to make it look like they are doing a bad job? This guy seems like he wants everyone to beleive Atlanta is very bad, read the article.

As for comparing Hartford to Lansing is acceptable, overall violent crime is close, Hartford at 1118.6 and Lansing at 947.3, Hartfords murder rate hovers around 13 while Lansings is around 10. Lansing has a much higher assault rate, lower robbery. And as with Hartford, most crime is isolated to the Northend. I'm going to stop with the Lansing stuff in a site-wide forum though, :whistling: shouldn't of mentioned it.

Atlanta did severely underreport their crime for several years leading up to the Olympicas and for some time after it. Now they have a very odd police cheif who insists that Atlanta is crime ridden and the most dangerous in the nation. That is suspicious, why would someone want to make it look like they are doing a bad job? This guy seems like he wants everyone to beleive Atlanta is very bad, read the article.

As for comparing Hartford to Lansing is acceptable, overall violent crime is close, Hartford at  1118.6 and Lansing at 947.3, Hartfords murder rate hovers around 13 while Lansings is around 10. Lansing has a much higher assault rate, lower robbery. And as with Hartford, most crime is isolated to the Northend. I'm going to stop with the Lansing stuff in a site-wide forum though,  :whistling: shouldn't of mentioned it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, there's quite a bit of crime not occuring in the North End of Hartford. There's also plenty of areas where crime is almost non-existant in the city. Hartford can be odd at times. There are pockets that are a warzone, and pockets that are pristine. There are also streets that are literally surrounded by slums, and yet nothing ever happens on those streets. When I go through, I mist be driving through invisible walls that I don't know about....

Actually, there's quite a bit of crime not occuring in the North End of Hartford.  There's also plenty of areas where crime is almost non-existant in the city.  Hartford can be odd at times.  There are pockets that are a warzone, and pockets that are pristine.  There are also streets that are literally surrounded by slums, and yet nothing ever happens on those streets.  When I go through, I mist be driving through invisible walls that I don't know about....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed others saying the northside of Hartford was home to virtually of it's problems.

• 1 month later...

The 75 largest (or so) cities crime rate.....

Info off SperlingsBest

**SE means SouthEast**

City/Crime Rate (per 100/000 people)

St. Louis 14,823.5 (Maybe SE)

Atlanta 13,135.8 (SE)

Orlando 11,729.7 (SE)

Tampa 10,939.6 (SE)

Kansas City 10,520.8 (Maybe SE)

Miami 10,179.9 (SE)

Baltimore 10,168.3 (SE)

Baton Rouge 10,072.3 (SE)

Daytona Beach 9901.2 (SE)

Detroit 9,848.0

Oklohoma City 9,777.7

Little Rock 9,509.6 (SE)

Memphis 9,471.4 (SE)

Dallas 9,383.1 (SE)

Columbus 9,323.8

Albuquerque 8,970.8

Tucson 8,887.4

Charlotte 8,829.6 (SE)

Tallahassee 8742.8 (SE)

Richmond, VA 8,552.7 (SE)

Seattle 8,236.2

Nashville-Davidson 8,209.5 (SE)

Birmingham 8,173.0 (SE)

Fresno 7,958.4

Portland 7,879.4

Charleston 7,801.7 (SE)

Toledo 7,734.7

Rochester 7,712.6

Chicago 7,551.3

Minneapolis 7,550.8

Milwaukee 7,540.1

Phoenix 7,495.4

Fort Worth 7,298.6 (SE)

Washington D.C. 7,273.2

Albany, NY 7,235.1

San Antonio 7,233.9 (SE)

Newark 7,233.3

New Orleans 7,216.9 (SE)

Corpus Christi 7,136.5 (Maybe SE)

Raleigh 7068.2 (SE)

St. Paul 7,064.3

Jacksonville 6,939.2 (SE)

Houston 6,858.2 (SE)

Tulsa 6,848.5

Philadelphia 6,751.6

Omaha 6,751.3

Oakland 6,714.7

Sacremento 6,574.5

Buffalo 6,567.8

Cincinnati 6,485.8

Mesa 6,445.7

Cleveland 6,440.0

Wichita 6,375.0

Austin 6,323.8 (Maybe SE)

Boston 6,283.3

Arlington, TX 6,242.0

Pittsburg 5,530.8

San Fransisco 5,526.4

El Paso 5,439.0

Reno 5,414.0

Honolulu 5,280.5

Jersey City 5,223.0

Colorodo Springs 5,031.2

Anchorage 5024

Denver 4,962.8

Indianapolis 4,867.7

Los Angeles 4,862.0

Las Vegas 4,647.7

Long Beach, CA 3,974.0

Virginia Beach 3,960.8 (SE)

New York 3,722.6

San Diego 3,661.4

Santa Ana 3,597.1

Anaheim 3,373.9

San Jose 2,566.7

*I don't know if your going by crime rate, but if you are then here.....*

**Wow.... it shows that the Southeast has the worst crime..... (way to represent us) haha**

Archived