11th Annual Most Dangerious Cities Awards

monsoon

Unfortunately my favorite city (Detroit) is listed as the 2nd most dangerous on there.

But there is still cities near me that are on the safest list, Livonia is the 20th safest and it is really close to me, Farmington Hills is the 22nd safest, that's close to me too and that's where my girlfriend lives.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's Hartford, 11th cleanest, 5th most dangerous. Hartford has a very poor urban core and very, very affluent suburbs. The city itself can be nasty, but like anywhere else, the whole city isn't like that. Downtown and the West and South Ends are safe, but there are streets where I can almost guarantee you get robbed (or worse) if you walk through at night. The city is efforting toward reversing that trend though, lots of residential development downtown, heavier policing in the worse areas, it's looking brighter for New England's Rising Star....

Heavier policing and a real commitment to strengthening communities are a must. That's how NYC was able to reduce its crime significantly in the 90's. If NYC can do it, so can Hartford. If the City keeps up its efforts to reduce crime and strengthen communities, Hartford's crime will go down.

The only city on that list that surprises me is Springfield MA. Life in the Berkshires must be going badly. Norman Rockwell would be sad. LOL

Yeah, but I don't think Rockwell ever painted pictures of Springfield and if he were alive today, I doubt he would. While Springfield may be "the city in the country," it is poor, badly goverened and it has a lousy job market. One hundred years ago, that was not the case. Springfield was known for its heavy industry, including rifles and motorcycles. It served them well then. But the industry is gone now and Springfield hasn't recovered full from it. And if they don't, well, things won't change much from the way they are now.

"Long Beach, CA 3,974.0"

:( sad reality, there are some parts of LB you would not even want to drive through after dark, and that's driving fast with your windows all up. also northern long beach has a much, much higher crime rate than south/southeast/east long beach because there's a LOT of gang-related criminal activity in that area. but east long beach is so peaceful and nice, nothing even remotely dangerous ever seems to happen there. i know ppl who've lived there for years and don't even care to lock their doors that part of town..

what really, really surprises me is that Compton, CA and Lynwood, CA are not on the list, especially Compton. I once read their stats, and they had the highest murder rate in the whole USofA, more than 5 times the national average. I wonder where they stand now. I knew someone who was interning at Drew hospital there, and she said most of the patients coming into the ER were shooting victims, and sadly so many would die just after arriving there..I accompanied her there ONCE and that same morning right after we exited the freeway, there was a part of the neighborhood closed off as they were investigating a drive by shooting, the victim died right on the sidewalk, and we saw the blood on the side.. I will never go to that city again as long as I can help it.

but yeah it's all about how you evaluate and measure these things.. maybe it's because of the relatively small size of the city of Compton, population-wise, that it doesn't make the list at all. It's a city within greater LA, but it's small compared to other cities on this list.

^^^Yeah, I just did the 75 or-so biggest cities.... Compton would definitely be on the if I included all cities :lol:

Why is it being so low sad? Charlotte is one of the highest on that list (#18)! If it was low I would be happy! haha :D

Most crimes happen within a large city, so being high on this list means you're the worst of the worst!! haha :D

3 killed in compton today, bringing the total murders th "at least" 59 this year, in the city of 93,000. Thats about how many boston had in all of last year, with a pop of 600,000. Theyre looking to rival Gary it seems

Charlotte had 5 murders in one weekend before. It's total is around 60-70 murders total so far.

Charlotte had 5 murders in one weekend before. It's total is around 60-70 murders total so far.

Some interesting numbers:

Charlotte '05 to date pop. 600,000 est 70 murders

Compton '05 to date pop. 93,000 est 60 murders

Worcester MA '04 pop 175,000 11 murders

New Orleans '04 pop. 400,000 265 murders

Bronx '04 pop 1.4 million 125 murders

Bronx '90 pop 1.2 million 653 murders

Brooklyn '04 pop 2.5 million 232 murders

NYC '04 pop. 8 million 572 murders

NYC 1990 pop 7.7 million 2245 murders

Manhattan '02 pop 1.5 million 80 murders

Manhattan '72 pop 1.5 million 661 murders

Some interesting numbers:

Charlotte '05 to date pop. 600,000 est 70 murders

Compton '05 to date pop. 93,000 est 60 murders

Worcester MA '04 pop 175,000 11 murders

New Orleans '04 pop. 400,000 265 murders

Bronx '04 pop 1.4 million 125 murders

Bronx '90 pop 1.2 million 653 murders

Brooklyn '04 pop 2.5 million 232 murders

NYC '04 pop. 8 million 572 murders

NYC 1990 pop 7.7 million 2245 murders

Manhattan '02 pop 1.5 million 80 murders

Manhattan '72 pop 1.5 million 661 murders

^^Where did you find this? It sounds accurate, but I did'nt realize New Orleans was that bad? It's crime rate is about the same as Raleigh, NC? Maybe it's property crime rate is low and violent is just high? I dont know.....

^^Where did you find this? It sounds accurate, but I did'nt realize New Orleans was that bad? It's crime rate is about the same as Raleigh, NC? Maybe it's property crime rate is low and violent is just high? I dont know.....

Yep, New Orleans is that bad.

I believe the official figures for New Orleans in '04 were 469,000 in population, and 262 murders.

Year in and year out, overall crime in New Orleans goes down, but the murders continue to go up. :unsure:

11th Annual Most Dangerious Cities Awards

The 2003 Most Dangerous cities awards is out for 2003 based on the following offences: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft.

Congratulations on the awards you hold. :cry:

Most Dangerous Cities in the USA (250K+)

1. Detroit, MI

2. Atlanta, GA

3. St. Louis, MO

4. Washington, DC

5. Hartford, CT

6. New Orleans, LA

7. Richmond, VA

8. Birmingham, AL

9. Baltimore, MD

10. Memphis, TN

11. Tampa, FL

12. San Bernardino, CA

13. Miami, FL

14. Cleveland, OH

15. Dayton, OH

16. Oakland, CA

17. Cincinnati, OH

Safest 10 Cities over 500K :P
  1. San Jose, CA

2. El Paso, TX

3. Honolulu, HI

4. Austin, TX

5. New York, NY

6. Louisville, KY

7. San Diego, CA

8. San Antonio, TX

9. San Francisco, CA

10. Fort Worth, TX

I don't understand the Most Dangerous list as Hartford, Richmond, and Dayton all have city populations under 250k which is the stated criteria. If you include cities under 250k you have to include places like Camden, NJ, Gary, IN, etc which are far more dangerous than Hartford.

I don't understand the Most Dangerous list as Hartford, Richmond, and Dayton all have city populations under 250k which is the stated criteria. If you include cities under 250k you have to include places like Camden, NJ, Gary, IN, etc which are far more dangerous than Hartford.

The data from my previos post cam from the FBI uniform crime reports for 04 figures, and historical data for all others.

Worcester is a largely middle class city, made up still of many middle class neighborhoods.

In 03 there were 7 homicides and the violent crime rate was 8.8 per 1,000.

I think homicides are up a bit this year but average about a dozen a year and its been many years since there were more than 15.

Worcester is a largely middle class city, made up still of many middle class neighborhoods.

In 03 there were 7 homicides and the violent crime rate was 8.8 per 1,000.

I think homicides are up a bit this year but average about a dozen a year and its been many years since there were more than 15.

I would be amazed if ANYWHERE in the south (southeast) was like that!!! :rofl::cry:

Southern hospitality isn't the same, ya know, with all the murders, rapes, and robberies down here and everything.... haha

Hey, we're friendly, just don't get on our bad side!!!

I would be amazed if ANYWHERE in the south (southeast) was like that!!! :rofl::cry:

I can name a few... :P All of these cities (except Greensboro and Raleigh) are Worcester-sized.

2004 FBI Numbers:

Huntsville- 6 murders

Chattanooga- 11 murders

Ft. Lauderdale- 12 murders

Tallahassee- 12 murders

Greensboro- 13 murders

Raleigh-16 murders

So Providence is either doing something wrong, did something wrong, or was just a victim of bad luck. In those late 90s years prov just about equalled boston in murder numbers. Granted boston was VERY low for a city of its size, providence was VERY high. Great downtown and East Side, but STRUGGLING neighborhoods elswhere. A Prov firefighter once told me....3 neighborhoods in this city where you would wanna raise your kid. In Worcester, there are dozens. That is the key difference between the 2 cities.

• 2 months later...

I find it remarkable that NYC is now on the 10 most safest cities list. That is quite a turn around from a city that 25 or so years ago was facing bankrupcy and was a crime infested war zone in most places. I also find it interesting that Chicago, another poster child for crime, is not on high crime list either.

Yeah, I seriously agree with that. I can't believe NYC is one of the safest cities. Wow.

Archived