The brawl in Detriot

josita

NBA link

I am surprised we haven't talked about this yet ... unless it's under another thread and sorry for the cross-posting.

What do you all think about this event. Who's at fault? Are the punishment too harsh? Anything you noticed from the tapes that replayed over and over and over again???

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any player who would hit a fan needs to be banned for life from playing professional basket ball.

Those who did get hit are suing from what I understand, and they will be rolling in money soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That may be the case in some instances but I will agree with Mr. Brown. if you look at the video several fans came onto the court looking to challenge some players that did not enter the stands. Those fans came looking to hurt the players and one player struck back. This was justified in my opinion. But I agree that Artest and O'Neil should have harsh punishments for going into the stands to attack the fans. The fault lies on all aspects of the people involved.

^ True.

However, all that Artest had to do was point into the stands and say thats the guy who threw beer on me, and the cops woudl have hauled that guy off. I know that it would piss me off too though- still, players shouldn't be allowed to go into the stands. They should excercise self control. Now as for the people who came onto to the court, it should be the same for them, they should not be allowed in that arena again. Fans should not come onto the court.

its stuff like this that makes me not like professional sports (among other things). The fans are just that- fanatic. People get way to worked up over some stupid game.

I was listening to the radio and they pointed out that Artest was provoked, (which he was), and that it wasn't a surprise for him to react that way. I give blame, though, to Wallace, Artest, and the first fan that threw the beer down ...

its stuff like this that makes me not like professional sports (among other things). The fans are just that- fanatic. People get way to worked up over some stupid game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is exactly what is happening with the nba right now .. low viewership ... its interesting

True fans will support their sport no matter what goes on. The mass of fans; however, are not that way. They like it when it is popular and when something goes wrong, they leave. I still love college football even though the South Carolina and Clemson fight took place. It doesn't matter to me. The sport never changes, just the players.

True fans will support their sport no matter what goes on. The mass of fans; however, are not that way. They like it when it is popular and when something goes wrong, they leave. I still love college football even though the South Carolina and Clemson fight took place. It doesn't matter to me. The sport never changes, just the players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me its different when players fight amongst themselves, and when they fight with fans, you know? Hockey players fight with each other all the time, some would say its a part of the game experience. Hockey video games include fist fighting as a part of the game.

The Clemson game was a stupid thing. Hah. I'm suprised that there isnt a whole thread on it already. Even though Clemson technically started it, both sides are at fault, and both teams recieved an appropriate punishment.

Also- I will always prefer college sports to professional. I think professional players get paid way more money than they deserve. College players don't get paid. Scholarships and what not have to be earned and maintained with good school work. You know that these kids are in it more for the game than money involved.

Also- I will always prefer college sports to professional. I think professional players get paid way more money than they deserve. College players don't get paid. Scholarships and what not have to be earned and maintained with good school work. You know that these kids are in it more for the game than money involved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some athletes in professional sports deserve what they get paid because they don't jabber and get the job done. But you are right that the majority of pro athletes don't deserve it. But the fickle fans of football that abandon a coach after a couple of seasons (jacksonville and UF), are what I am talking about. Too many people don't know the sport that well and are quick to judge because the record is not 10-0. People complain about the fight on sports talk shows and how the sport is becoming bad and blah blah blah. What they don't realize is the committment and pressure on the athletes in the game. Bottom line is that fans should stay off the court and athletes need to play the game.

The NBA is in a bad decline.  Even NASCAR is a bigger sport now.  This brawl will just add to their decline as nobody wants their family to be around these millionare thugs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about? Decline? I'd love to here your reasons.

As for the fight, I'm a Detroit fan and I'm definetly feeling the reprecussions of this brawl. The Champs are now 6-6 taking on Milwaukee tonight. I believe Ben Wallace's suspension was too long. He should be back tonight after a three game suspension. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Pistons fan. The average suspension for pushing an opposing player would be 2-3 games depending on the severity. Wallace's push was quite violent and uncalled for most likely resulting in a 3 or 4 game suspension. If the brawl afterwards never took place the six game suspension would have also, never happened.

Some interesting things found on the tape:

* Man who threw cup wasn't man Artest attacked

* Pacers rookie center David Harrison punched a fan; wasn't suspended

He is one tough cookie too. But, Artest's respose was not very good at all. It seems that Wallace, Jackson, O'Neil, and Artest are the ones that really should be penalized. They are the ones that really went after players, fans etc. If harrison was attacked and punched by a fan then it is his choice to act on it. He is the only one that can really claim self-defense.

• 1 month later...
:angry: There is no need for violence in sports. This brawl was the worst basketball brawl I've ever seen. I used to think Ron Artest had matured up to the point he was resting on the table, but now, his volitile atitude proves that he still needs to learn, and he has the 73 game suspension to think. Jermaine O'Neal's suspension was reduced from 25 to 15 games. Ben Wallace was probably tense due to the death of Sam Wallace, so he was pissed at Artest's hard foul and shoved him back. Stephen Jackson was wild in the stands, clobbering the fan that doused Artest. Overall, I was shocked at how basketball can be 'basketbrawl'; I have never seen a game curtailed and this is detrimental to the NBA if measure aren't taken.

Archived