PC vs MAC  

104 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with the added benefit of being able to run Windows XP.  Decisions, decisions.

I don't personally consider this a benefit. I would wipe XP and use Linux on a new emachine anyway.

I won't even get into other disagreements I have with this article. Critical review my behind.

What kind of games can you play on Linux?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neo provided me with a link to "PeerPC" on page 5. This free program allows you to install a Windows based OS on a Linux/Mac machine. This is extremely helpful for gamers who need the XP reality to game. PeerPC allows you to play any game you already have subject to machine specs.

So the myth of Mac's being unsuitable for gamers is B.S. Go buy a top-of-the-line PowerMac (Which is comparably priced to Dell, Gateway, and HP equivalents) and get a copy of VirtualPC (or the free PeerPC) and game your tail off. Within the next 6 months (When my Doctoral stipends kick in) I plan on selling my mini to my dad and purchasing a PowerMac. Oh, what a day that will be...

So the myth of Mac's being unsuitable for gamers is B.S. Go buy a top-of-the-line PowerMac (Which is comparably priced to Dell, Gateway, and HP equivalents) and get a copy of VirtualPC (or the free PeerPC) and game your tail off. Within the next 6 months (When my Doctoral stipends kick in) I plan on selling my mini to my dad and purchasing a PowerMac. Oh, what a day that will be...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The guy at the mac store told me that VirtualPC had about 80% the power of an actual PC, which I found dissapointing. Its understandable of course.

Neo provided me with a link to "PeerPC" on page 5. This free program allows you to install a Windows based OS on a Linux/Mac machine. This is extremely helpful for gamers who need the XP reality to game. PeerPC allows you to play any game you already have subject to machine specs.

Well, PearPC is really for running MacOSX on a Linux/Windows machine, they may have added the opposite ability to it though. VirtualPC does a much better job of running Windows on a MacOSX machine though. PearPC is extremely slow at the moment, but it's much better than it was in the first version, 0.1. You wouldn't be able to do much gaming with either PearPC or VirtualPC unless its to the likes of Tetris, LOL!

All I can say about the Mac Mini is that its a wonderful concept, hope it catches on as much as the original iMac.

Without reading the earlier comments, you do understand the G5 heat issue was a parody webpage, right? PowerPC chips have been known to run cooler then x86 counterparts ever since they came out because of the advanced architecture. PowerPC instructions take fewer transistors to accomplish because x86 is such of an archaic technology (dating back to the early 1970's).

Actually heat generated in a chip is dependant upon the technology used to form the transistors. Its always a trade off between switching speed vs energy consumption. It has much less to do with the complexity of the instruction set. I would not call the x86 architecture archaic as modern versions of that line are some of the most advanced machines in the world. RISC processors in comparison are not as complex but this puts more burden on the software to do basic things correctly. A poorly written program on a G5 is going to suffer much more from speed problems than on an x86.

You really can't compare systems based solely on the chip used because you either execute basic functions on chip (x86) or in software (powerpc). It is the total package that you have to address.

The G5 is a heat generator in is present design. Apple had to install liquid cooling in its towers along with an automobile type radiator to manage the heat generated by these chips. Hardly something you can do in a laptop.

Keep in mind that more advanced versions of the Power PC line do exist but as far as I know, they are only available in IBM's own servers. Power4 & Power5 are hugely powerful processors and IBM puts up to 32 of them in a server. The G5 is a processor based on these designs that IBM created for Apple and is manufactured by IBM in NY in the mid-Hudson valley. (The home of the general purpose computer)

All I can say about the Mac Mini is that its a wonderful concept, hope it catches on as much as the original iMac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'll find out how wonderful they may/may not be this Friday. Mine arrives fresh from the factory on Feb. 18th. It is a:

1.25 Ghz G4 / 512 RAM / 40Gb 5400RPM HD / CDR-DVD combo / Airport Extreme Wireless

After reading the overclocking article monsoon posted I'm seriously considering giving it a try after I get acquainted. (It seems easy enough to do.) I'll throw up some photos and give a critique of how a PC user makes his first swap to OSx. :)

Introducing the Mac Mini

Minipicture.jpg

This morning I officially stepped into the Apple world. After playing with my new mini for about an hour I am completely enamoured. Forget the "It takes a while to get used to" sayings. The Panther OS is smooth and sexy. (Yes, sexy) But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The box arrived at 9 a.m. this morning. (The delivery guy actually asked me what it was, saying he had never seen a computer box quite like this one.) I pulled the little machine out and hooked it up to my monitor and a USB mini-mouse I used with my now-deceased laptop. However, I had no USB keyboard. (This has been the single inconvenience thus far.) So I hopped in my truck and went to my local Apple store (about 10 minutes away) where I purchased a standard Apple keyboard. (The saleswoman wanted me to tell her what I thought about my new mini ater I had a chance to play with it some.) Once back I hooked the keyboard up and hit the power button. The signature "dong" and some music signaled that my little machine was on and ready to get me set up. A few easy-to-follow instructions set up my apple acount, my computer, my email, my AIM, and made me familiar with all the software to which I am privy. Very cool, I thought.

Then it was on to exploring the Panther OS. Did I mention it is sexy? In the first hours of playing with it the OS is easy to use, has good help directions, and is customizable out the wazoo. After some initial toyng I have opted for the factory-issue setup, until further notice. A few updates (six!) required my immediate attention, after which I was ready to browse the internet and begin installing many of the programs I am used to as well as some, such as Openoffice and Gimp, which I am not so familiar with. The verdict on these is still out.

My initial reaction? I'm amazed and enthralled. I'm also ready to completely discredit the article monsoon posted a while back.

1.) The guy must have had the I.Q. of a rodent if he couldn't figure out the machine was on. It has lights, it dongs, and while it is the quietest computer I have heard, it has a low-pitched whine that is more like white noise than an electronic hum. Its almost kind of soothing.

This is just my initial reaction but as of now I may never go back to Windows. Panther has impressed me more in 2 hours than WinXP has in 2 years. I'll give more details later regarding programs, features, etc.... For now I am happy with my little Macintosh.

Introducing the Mac Mini

Minipicture.jpg

This morning I officially stepped into the Apple world. After playing with my new mini for about an hour I am completely enamoured. Forget the "It takes a while to get used to" sayings. The Panther OS is smooth and sexy. (Yes, sexy) But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The box arrived at 9 a.m. this morning. (The delivery guy actually asked me what it was, saying he had never seen a computer box quite like this one.) I pulled the little machine out and hooked it up to my monitor and a USB mini-mouse I used with my now-deceased laptop. However, I had no USB keyboard. (This has been the single inconvenience thus far.) So I hopped in my truck and went to my local Apple store (about 10 minutes away) where I purchased a standard Apple keyboard. (The saleswoman wanted me to tell her what I thought about my new mini ater I had a chance to play with it some.) Once back I hooked the keyboard up and hit the power button. The signature "dong" and some music signaled that my little machine was on and ready to get me set up. A few easy-to-follow instructions set up my apple acount, my computer, my email, my AIM, and made me familiar with all the software to which I am privy. Very cool,  I thought.

Then it was on to exploring the Panther OS. Did I mention it is sexy? In the first hours of playing with it the OS is easy to use, has good help directions, and is customizable out the wazoo. After some initial toyng I have opted for the factory-issue setup, until further notice. A few updates (six!) required my immediate attention, after which I was ready to browse the internet and begin installing many of the programs I am used to as well as some, such as Openoffice and Gimp, which I am not so familiar with. The verdict on these is still out.

My initial reaction? I'm amazed and enthralled. I'm also ready to completely discredit the article monsoon posted a while back.

1.) The guy must have had the I.Q. of a rodent if he couldn't figure out the machine was on. It has lights, it dongs, and while it is the quietest computer I have heard, it has a low-pitched whine that is more like white noise than an electronic hum. Its almost kind of soothing.

This is just my initial reaction but as of now I may never go back to Windows. Panther has impressed me more in 2 hours than WinXP has in 2 years. I'll give more details later regarding programs, features, etc....  For now I am happy with my little Macintosh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right on! welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. Like I said before, once you go Mac, you'll never go back! ;)

Archived