1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In a stunning announcement, Steve Jobs announced yesterday that Apple will be switching from the PowerPC to x86 chips.  I guess this means for sure there will be no powerMac G5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you mean powerbook G5 right? yeah, i seriously doubt that will happen now. they will probably concentrate on switching over to intel for the powerbooks before they switch the pro desktops over.

from the speculation i have read (and of course it's only speculation), they are saying that the lower end macs will be switched over first, but i would assume that people who are willing to pay a$$loads of money for a powerbook will want the fastest processors they can get their hands on, and since the G5 runs way too hot, it would make sense to try and get the powerbooks switched over to intel quickly.

the sales of new machines probably will suffer a little until people understand the details of how things will be switched over. i was planning on buying a new mac in the next year, but i will hold off now until they have switched to intel and test the waters before i buy.

it will definitelly be difficult for a lot of developers to switch over, but in the future if they use the new version of xcode, they will be able to make an all-in-one binary that will run on ppc and x86. plus there's rosetta, which is supposed to translate ppc code to intel code on the fly. but that will probably be pretty slow.

in the past, apple has been good with big transitions, but this one is a little bigger than anything they have done in the past. it'll be a bumpy road for the first year of transition for sure.

• 1 month later...

Archived