PC vs MAC  

104 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive had a Mac for a year and a half and I will never go back to PC. I think once you try it you get hooked. My bro is a big time computer nerd and he tried using mine for a while and didnt like it because everything was too simple. He actually told me his major complaint was that it was too easy. I thought that was wierd but I suppose its just a preference thing.

AMD FX-55 > G5 ...

Vista looks like it will be a good product. I hate Mac OS X though, it has some things that are just annoying. I don't need any eye candy. ;) Oh, and having only one mouse button is stupid.

Mac all the way. I've had to suffer through the frustrations of Windows at work for years. I recently returned to the Mac fold at home and it really is comforting to have a machine that just works. PCs don't.

I recently switched back to XP after using Linux for a while, XP 'just works' if you have decent hardware ;)

it is true that it doesn't really take any more work to control click on a mac than it does to right click. what do people do with their non-mouse hand anyway? it's usually resting by the keyboard. i could use a one button mouse and just control click if i had to. i have used a pretty standard logitech 2 button mouse with the scroll wheel for years now. i have used keyboard shortcuts for probably most commands in the mac os since i can remember though. it's actually a pain for me to use the mouse. i do as much as possible with the keyboard.

the new mightymouse looks really cool though. when i get a job and finally get a new mac, i'll be getting the mightymouse for sure. hopefully the bluetooth version will be out by then.

I just can't live with that :D. Also I don't like the bar on the bottom, I prefer the start menu since I use a great number of apps. The bar only gives room for so many...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it really just comes down to personal preference. i'm sure that there are parts of mac os x that annoy plenty of people. but it really is worth it to give os x a chance. it usually takes a while to adapt to new things, and especially for someone who has used windows for a long time, it could definitely take a while to feel their way around the more advanced features of mac os x.

i have been what i would consider a power user of the mac os since early os 8. i had a developer version of os x before the public beta that barely worked, but i spent a lot of time in it just getting the hang of the way os x worked. by the time the public beta came out, i felt pretty comfortable with using os x, and by the time os x was officially released, i fully embraced it not wanting to use os 9 at all even though i still had to for certain things in the beginning. i booted os 9 a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 2 years and i have to say, it was really weird. i am so used to os x and the way it works that i felt that os 9 was actually anti-intuitive.

anyway, I

PC's are so unstable

Mac's are super stable

But.. I prefer PC 'cause most programs out there are designed for Windows. In other words, almost all the programs out there work better for PC's. Although I do wish Microsoft, would make the PC's a little more stable!

I have never had any luck with overclocking. It always overheats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where you using a P4 prescott? The newest P4s overheat all the time. The Athlon 64s are walking all over the P4s now, but the average person who is not into pcs doesnt know this. They just assume that Pentium is the best and they have never even heard of AMD before. Its really a shame.

AMD, Pentium, both are toys compared to big iron boxes. An IBM Z-series can run 20,000 simultaneous copies of Linux as guest operating systems under another of its OS/s. Try that on a PC.

Most people think the computing world is limited to Intel and PowerPc. Thats a shame too.

Where you using a P4 prescott?  The newest P4s overheat all the time.  The Athlon 64s are walking all over the P4s now, but the average person who is not into pcs doesnt know this.  They just assume that Pentium is the best and they have never even heard of AMD before.  Its really a shame.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was/is the first series P4. They probably hadn't been out 3 months before I bought this PC.... Which is also how old this thing is :)

I have heard great things about these Athlon 64s. When ever I get a new computer, if its not a mac, it will probably be one of those. However, I am intrigued by the new "cell" technology and cell processors. This could prove to be better than anythign that is out there today, and it may only be a couple of years out as I understand it.

I have my doubts about Apple switching to intel technology though. So I have many options in the future, but no defined answer on what direction to go with my computing needs.

^Apple switched to INtel for exactly the same reasons why the Athlon 64 is better than the P4 + PD(The Pentium D is the newest Pentium which is dual core) right now which doesnt make any since. The only reason Apple choose INtel was because of the Name. BTW AMD is sueing INtel.

I havent read much about cell technology. Seems cool.

I havent read much about cell technology.  Seems cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basicly you have multiple processors performing separate calculations, resulting in insane cpu speeds. Suposedly they have clocked 5.2 GHz in some lab.

Here is a website that details cell processors. It is pretty technical, but for you non technical fols, it may be worth reading the first few sections just to understand what the fuss is about.

but the use of the CELL in the PS3 for instance is rather useless and more of a sales pitch that really does not ammount to much. This rendition of the CELL has extreme performance in terms of floating point calculations but not much else, its not much better then a typical processor in terms of game performance. These 'next generation' consoles are on the whole disappointing. Graphics will become better but AI will, on the whole, not.

AMD, Pentium, both are toys compared to big iron boxes. An IBM Z-series can run 20,000 simultaneous copies of Linux as guest operating systems under another of its OS/s. Try that on a PC.

Most people think the computing world is limited to Intel and PowerPc. Thats a shame too.

indeed, but a clustered group of tens of thousands of cheap Intel or AMD PCs will kick the Z-series' ass in terms of performance and price efficency. Case in point is Google and Yahoo.

On the subject of the public's general ignorance on computing performance, People also seem to think that Megahertz are the big deal in performance gains when system architecture matters far more. This is evident in the low end with the AMD vs. Intel wars and in the high end graphics and processing sphere. A SGI with a single MIPS processor running at 800MHZ will wipe the floor with a Pentium 4 running at 3.x GHZ in terms of graphics performance. On the high end all machines are designed for specific tasks, PC video editing is a toy. I have never used any of these high performance computers but I am very keen on studying the architectures.

to get right click fuctions all you do is hold down the control button.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just can't live with that :D. Also I don't like the bar on the bottom, I prefer the start menu since I use a great number of apps. The bar only gives room for so many...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apple's love of a one-button mouse has more to do with design philosophy than stupidity. By forcing developers to work around a one-button interface, they're making a concerted effort to spare their users from the contextual window hell that Windows users have to deal with. Whether or not their steadfastness/stubbornness is necessary is questionable, but I definitely think it's admirable

As for the menu bar, third party developers have created programs like Quicksilver that allow you to use the keyboard to search for apps and files without even touching a mouse.

And the magnesium based case has very good "feel" to it compared to the cheap plastic found on most laptops including the powerbooks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Powerbooks aren't plastic. iBook maybe?

Archived