PC vs MAC

M. Brown

PC vs MAC  

104 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

You can get a two button mouse and use it much the same as you would in Microsoft. I've found that I've pretty much stopped right clicking when on a PC since I switched to my Mac. I thought it would bug me, but now I'm a one button kind of guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to play Warcraft II over awol on an old mac with one button. Warcraft II was made to be played with 2 buttons so you could simply right-click to move a unit. But with the 1 button mac I had to hit "m" on the keyboard and then click to move a unit. It may have been the best thing I ever did in terms of my online gaming in that genre. When I did get a 2-button mouse, I was less dependent on the right-click and more keyboard dependent. It made me a better player. Point of the story: I have no issues with the 1-button mouse and I can type almost as well with just my left hand as I can with both my hands (I hunt and peck)

Forget the MAC & PC (which means MS),  the future is Linux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Languages are something every human is going to have to become very good with very quickly, both oral and computer. Here's looking at the future.

On a side note, in business weekly for the first week of December there was an article giving statistics between MS and Apple. Sales and growth for Apple has grown 15% in the last year year vs a 5% decrease in sales for MS. The reason: the sale of ipods. People who own an ipod have become enamored with the audio and video capabilities of the Mac. The only reason they even know about these capabilities is through buying the ipod and browsing what Macs have to offer.

Sorry Bill Gates. You made your money, now move over. Steve Jobs is on the right path.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get a two button mouse and use it much the same as you would in Microsoft. I've found that I've pretty much stopped right clicking when on a PC since I switched to my Mac. I thought it would bug me, but now I'm a one button kind of guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The onyl thing I could not live without is my scroll wheel. I hate not havingone of those.

I voted Mac.

Mac was the first computer that I had when they become dispersed widely in the public in the mid-80s. I was maybe 10 or something? So I grew up on Macs. My first one was w.o a hard drive. You would turn it on and there would be a blinking disk icon with a question mark. Everything had to be boot up by disk.

I used Macs all the way until I graduated college and entered the real world. The real world is a PC world and I was brainwashed. I now use PCs more often, but can work fine on the new Macs. My husband loves to build his own PCs and that is pretty cool.

I want to get back to Mac, though, and once I get a job, after I finish grad school, I'm selling my Sony Vaio laptop and getting an iBook.

• 1 month later...

Do you think it would be able to play games nicely

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dunno really, I'm not much of a gamer (well I'm not a gamer at all actually). It is upgradeable, but you'd actually probably be more interested in the G5 iMac. The Mac mini is actually more of an intro/novice machine. It's going to be good for someone who surfs the web, emails, word processes (the new iWork Pages word processing app looks sweet), downloads music with iTunes, and does a bit of digital photography. For a power user, the Mac mini is good as a second computer. The improvements to iPhoto also look sweet for a moderate level digital photographer, like most of us. I generally use Photoshop for all my photo editing, but the new iPhoto looks like I might actually start using that much more.

You could go with the Mac mini for all those uses I just outlined, and wipe everything off your PC and use it exclusively for gaming. You could even use a KVM Switch to run both off one monitor and keyboard/mouse.

I would kill to get one at work, I mean it, I would kill, you hear me Help Desk?

If you're a hard-core gamer, anything less than a Power Mac G5 will probably not do. The latest computer games suck every bit of power from your video card and processor. A lot of the really popular pc games are so advanced that the newest and most powerful video cards by ATI and Nvidia can barely keep up.

There is a common misconception that macs are extremely limited in one way or another. The fact is that if you're used to operating a computer one way, and you try another computer that operates in a lot of ways completely opposite from what you're used to, it's going to take a while to get used to. Heck, my mom won't even switch from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X because she never gave it enough time. She would try it for a couple of minutes and then decide that it was too complicated or not mac-like enough. The main point is, that it takes time to learn anything new. If you are really curious at all about using a mac, give it a try. You can use just as many mice with a mac as you can with a PC, you can play games, you can run Unix, Linux and Mac OS X on the same machine, edit video, audio and pictures, and all kinds of other things.

With the current release of the new Mac Mini, Apple has finally given a lot of PC users a real economical chance to switch over to the mac and see what all the talk is really about.

What did you think about today's announcements ezcheese? Good, bad, predictable, surprised???

I've been longing for a good word processing app, and it looks like Pages is it, happily I didn't invest in MacOffice. The improvements to iLife look good too.

I think it was a pretty good day. Apple's website has been slammed all day since the keynote address, which I would think is a good sign.

I am still running Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my beige 300 Mhz G3. I am kind of frozen in time as far as the programs I am able to run on my machine, and I won't really have the money to buy a new computer for a while to come. I may just buy a new Mac mini sooner than I was originally planning on buying a higher-end Mac. I know Apple has been against providing a bare-bones low priced machine for a long time, but I think that providing this machine is a great thing for Apple. Especially for all those PC using iPod owners who have become interested in Macs in the last couple of years.

Pages does look interesting. And one of the first things I will do when I have a modern computer is try out Garage Band. I use Digital Performer on an os 9 partition when I want to record music now. It works great, but os 9 is just so unstable and scary now that I've been using os X for so long.

I couldn't agree more. I first used Linux in 2000. I tried several different distributions, and while it was fun to monkey around with, even today with the most user-friendly distribution of Linux you can find, it still has a long way to go until it becomes a truely usable desktop operating system.

What Apple did was use as solid a core for an operating system as there could possibly be with Free BSD, and then added all their proprietary goodies on top to make one delicious user experience. My computer hasn't crashed since I ran the public beta version of OS X. In fact, here's my uptime as of right now:

[matrix:~] derek% uptime

8:44PM up 19 days, 11:24, 1 user, load averages: 0.84, 0.66, 0.49

I host most of the images I have posted to the forums here on my computer using Apache. The last time I restarted was because my cable modem blew and it felt novel to actually shut down my computer at night while I was offline. :D

I hail from the DOS 3.3 days (and going back earlier, to my beloved Commodore 64, RIP), so I much prefer using the keyboard for basic commands... I get impatient with some drag and drop stuff that a simple wildcard at a command line can do in a few seconds... my friends think I'm either showing off or plain crazy... :blink:

In that sense that gives PCs an advantage for someone like me... although Macs rate high in my book for ease of use, installation of applications (for smaller files usually just dragging the application into a folder is it; no modifying the registry, installing a bazillion DLL files all over the place, etc.), and graphic design (Quark on the Mac seems to work better than the PC version)..

A disadvantage of the Mac is the way the files are split into forks, so that every file has to be encoded in BinHex whenever it's stored on a non-Mac file system.

Throughout grade school we used Apple IIe's, IIGS, the early Macs (remember the ones with the combined monochrome monitor and CPU, and that BOXY mouse?), then we started seeing more IBM PS/2's as the years went on...

I've always owned a PC (because I like building and upgrading them), but I used to run this program called Executor, a Mac emulator. I used to use it so I could convert my schoolwork files to PC format at home. It can run some programs that used the Motorola 680x0 chipset (the predecessor to PowerPC), but that's pretty much obsolete now.

I have a love-hate relationship with Windows (always have... used to use OS/2 Warp and BeOS), so I play around with Linux and Vmware whenever I can.

Powerbook, iBook G5 in May, 2005?

Apple said to ship Powerbook G5 in 2Q 2005

By Tony Smith

Published Friday 14th January 2005 10:59 GMT

Expect Apple to ship PowerBook and iBook notebook Macs based on a G5-class PowerPC chip in Q2.

So claim sources close to Taiwan's contract manufacturers, DigiTimes reports. Tucked away in a discussion about Apple's manufacturing partners are references to an iBook G5 and a PowerBook G5, which will ship in Q2 2005. They will be built by Asustek and Quanta, respectively.

The news will be welcomed by Mac notebook enthusiasts, who have lookrd forward to a G5-based PowerBook since the emergence some 12 months ago of the 90nm PowerPC 970FX from IBM. In the end, the 90nm die-shrink, despite IBM's initial claims, proved less notebook-friendly than anticipated. This stopped Apple from rolling out a PowerBook based on the chip, but it refreshed the XServe G5 and updated Power Mac desktops with the new part.

Apple's then director of Power Mac product marketing, Tom Boger, told customers at the G5 desktop launch not to expect a PowerBook G5 "any time soon [and] certainly not before the end of the year".

Has IBM solved the 970FX's heat dissipation problems, possibly with new chip-making techniques, or has Apple figured out how to keep the chip sufficiently cool to operate efficiently in a notebook? A third possibility exists: DigiTimes has written 'G5' when it should have typed 'G4'.

Certainly, Apple wants to move the PowerBook line to the G5 and will do so as soon as possible. But Freescale's upcoming 90nm G4-class MPC7448 chip has been seen as a more likely candidate than the G5 for the next PowerBook and / or iBook revisions.

^^ it's about time... Back on System 7.0 there was a shareware command line program you could download.

I really like the concept of the Journaled File System... I've seen it run on Linux and on OS/2 Warp Server 4.5. What kind of file system does MacOS X use? Is it using an ext2/ext3 file system yet, JFS, or is it still on HFS?

There's lots of command line stuff that I read about, but I'm a little less inclined to try any of it as I'm afraid of screwing something up. Luckily I don't need to, I *can* use command lines, but I don't have to.

Archived