Favorite Columbia Mall

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Columbia Mall?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Columbia Mall?

• Columbia Place Mall
    • Columbiana Center Mall
    • Dutch Square Mall
    • Richland Mall

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

My girlfriend and I went to Columbia Place so I could go to Old Navy, and I must say that I was very impressed. It reminded me of a slightly nicer Haywood Mall. Two levels, not too big, but a wide variety of stores. It didn't have all of the big names like Abercrombie or that mess, but that doesn't mean much to me. For a monday, there was a fair amount of traffic everywhere. I can safely say that won't be my last trip over there. In fact, I would even consider changing my vote to Columbia Place.

I like Columbiana and Richland, but I haven't been to the other 2 so I can't judge them. Columbia Place like Haywood? Wow, I love Haywood so I would probably like this one. Is it 1.2 million square feet also? Other words is it just as big as Haywood?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, its not as big. Its probably 2/3 the size. Its hard for me to judge because it is two levels. Same number of anchors though. Its just not carpeted on the seconf floor- more earthy colors (tan to white, etc). But its done up like Columbiana, Westgate, Haywood, etc. It looked good, and I found it to be a pleasing shopping experience (well, as pleasing as shopping can be :wacko: )

Columbiana is the only mall in Cola I've been to, and it was a rather quick trip through.  I thought it was very nice, but I'm definitely no judge of malls in  general. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to quite a few malls in my day, and they are all basicly the same to me. They are located in different places, different layout- but they all look like some overdone hotel lobby. Haywood, Westgate, Columbiana, Columbia Place, Biltmore Square, Lenox, SouthPark, Carolina Place, Eastridge - these are all basicly the same when you go inside. The malls like Grand Coastal or Concord Mills are very unique, but not necesarily better.

Of course, this is a far cry from how the malls of the 80s were. I distinctly recall Westgate Mall before the massive additions and Hillcrest Mall (Spartanburg's former mall on the east side of town), that were kind of dingy and carpeted. If gave a completely different atmostphere while you were inside.

No, its not as big. Its probably 2/3 the size. Its hard for me to judge because it is two levels. Same number of anchors though. Its just not carpeted on the seconf floor- more earthy colors (tan to white, etc). But its done up like Columbiana, Westgate, Haywood, etc. It looked good, and I found it to be a pleasing shopping experience (well, as pleasing as shopping can be  :wacko: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Columbia Place is 1.1 mill. sq.ft. (I believe it's on there website). So it's as big as Haywood. I remember back in the early 90's when Columbiana Ctr. was being developed it was suppossed to be the largest mall in the state. I've never been much of a mall fanatic myself. They do have a tendency to look like every other mall you've been too? I do like to go there to see the types of shops they have. It gives you a pretty good idea of what the locals are into, but then again most modern malls have the same stores in them no matter.

shopping center facts

MAJOR STORES:

Sears

Dillard's

Rich's

JCPenney

TOTAL IN-LINE STORES:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TYPE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enclosed Mall, 2-Level

GROSS LEASING AREA:

1,145,626 Sq. Ft.

See above: Columbia Place is just under 1.2 million square feet. The mall has improved in the last couple of years with a renovation and a cracking down on (problematic) mall cruising, etc. Richland is still my favorite mall although I wish it was fully leased. I actually prefer the Vista and Five Points/Devine Street, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been in Richland since Thanksgiving or whenever they opened up all those stores?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been and I am not impressed. All of the stores are names that I have never even heard of. Richland is a very nice mall on the outside, but once you step inside, it's like a ghost town. This mall reminds of a smaller Lenox, but Lenox is definitely better. I hope they do something with this mall before it closes.

• 1 month later...

I voted for Columbia Place because the other stores had too many negatives. Richland is too small. It does have a great Barnes & Noble and a TGI Fridays, but I wish there was more to this shopping center.

Columbiana is great with the kind of stores it has and is definitely the most attractive mall inside and out, but it is the farthest for me to drive to...and Harbison traffic is absolutely FREAKIN' RIDICULOUS! 'Nuff said there. Oh yeah, and there is no store that sells CDs or any music!!! :wacko: That is just plain nuts.

Dutch Square? It's OK, but it badly needs alot of renovations. You can tell it is an aging shopping center.

Columbia Place has excellent choices for shopping, an excellent atmosphere and interior, great anchor stores, a good food court, and nearby restaurants and stores such as Charleston Crab House and Best Buy.

Yeah, Dutch Square had extensive renovations not too long ago. I don't go there much though because the stores aren't up my alley. There are some nice stores/restaurants/banks/etc popping up in the area, but the adjacent Boozer Center is turning into an eyesore. There is definate potential for the location if you give people a unique reason to go there. It's centrally located and pretty easy to get to from all parts of town.

I'd love to see Dutch Square evolve into a niche mall; perhaps housing only outlet stores. I have seen a number of struggling malls in different cities renovate into urban/suburban outlet centers with great success. At many of these malls a great emphasis was placed on entertainment and nightlife even, housing such non-traditional venues as Vans Skateparks and Dave and Busters, in addition to the movie theatres.

I'm guessing the closest outlet shops are in Myrtle and Charleston, correct?

Oh well, just another pipe dream :D

Archived