Favorite Columbia Mall

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Columbia Mall?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Columbia Mall?

• Columbia Place Mall
    • Columbiana Center Mall
    • Dutch Square Mall
    • Richland Mall

Yeah, Dutch Square had extensive renovations not too long ago.  I don't go there much though because the stores aren't up my alley.  There are some nice stores/restaurants/banks/etc popping up in the area, but the adjacent Boozer Center is turning into an eyesore.  There is definate potential for the location if you give people a unique reason to go there.  It's centrally located and pretty easy to get to from all parts of town.

I'd love to see Dutch Square evolve into a niche mall; perhaps housing only outlet stores.  I have seen a number of struggling malls in different cities renovate into urban/suburban outlet centers with great success.  At many of these malls a great emphasis was placed on entertainment and nightlife even, housing such non-traditional venues as Vans Skateparks and Dave and Busters, in addition to the movie theatres. 

I'm guessing the closest outlet shops are in Myrtle and Charleston, correct?

Oh well, just another pipe dream  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MB does have plenty of outlet stores, but Charleston does not have an actual factory outlet. They will get one upon completion of Centre Point with Tanger Outlets.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...At many of these malls a great emphasis was placed on entertainment and nightlife even, housing such non-traditional venues as Vans Skateparks and Dave and Busters, in addition to the movie theatres...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh man, that would be so awesome to have a Dave and Busters in South Carolina. It seems to me that this state is the only one that doesn't have one of these "Adult Chucky Cheeses". :) The 3 major cities that I could see getting one would be MB, Cola, and Chas. Putting a Dave and Busters near Dutch Square would GREATLY enhance that area, and maybe take away the strain of traffic around Harbison.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are the malls so segregated in Columbia? We all know Columbia Place is seen as the black mall and Columbiana is seen as the white mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't realize that, but I don't live in Cola. I guess it comes from location, racism, and stupidity. They're both nice malls.

Why are the malls so segregated in Columbia? We all know Columbia Place is seen as the black mall and Columbiana is seen as the white mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd just say location most towns have this to some degree depending on where the mall, restaraunt, or whatever is located. Columbia Place is located just north of Columbia the area south of the Mall is a predominantly black area, Irmo/Harbison where Columbiana is located has a large white population. Also keep in mind that a lot of residents from Lexington, and Chapin as well as much of Lexington County go to Columbiana to shop because it's closer than Columbia Place and Lexington Co. is predominantly white.

That would be my guess.

I'd just say location most towns have this to some degree depending on where the mall, restaraunt, or whatever is located. Columbia Place is located just north of Columbia the area south of the Mall is a predominantly black area, Irmo/Harbison where Columbiana is located has a large white population. Also keep in mind that a lot of residents from  Lexington, and Chapin as well as much of Lexington County go to Columbiana to shop because it's closer than Columbia Place and Lexington Co. is predominantly white.

That would be my guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I forgot...The location Columbia Place is in is prodominatley black area of richland county....and columbiana is more in the suburbs of lexington county which doesnt have a large black population...ok, i never thought about it like that :D

The malls aren't segregated- the people are. These malls get built because of a wealthy suburban population.

When Dutch Square, Richland, and Woodhill Malls were built, they were in the suburbs, which is where the money was. It is my understanding that when Columbia Place (fka: Columbia Mall) was built (which was for the same reasons) it was the mall of choise. It was also out in the middle of nowhere at one time. The city has just grown up around it. All the good stores and what not were there too. The old ring of malls started to die. The dominance shifted to Columbiana Center, which was built as a result of the suburban boom in Irmo.

The population seems to have segregated itself. I can't explain why this is. Somehow the black population wound up in the Dentsville to north Columbia/Eau Claire area. I liked Columbia Place better than Columbiana. I would go there more often if they had more of what I needed.

My point is that malls get built in the suburbs to be nearer to the people with the most money. Now, take Sandhill. This is not a "traditional" mall, but for all intents and purposes, it is a mall. Its a large commercial center in the far-flung suburbs of this city. Eventually it won't be on the edge of nowhere. You could compare that to the rennovation of Woodhill Mall.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a mall-type development built in Lexington County somewhere soon (5-7 years). They are seeing massive growth out there.

• 1 month later...

Ummm...Someone mentioned that Columbia Place is in unincorporated Richland...Why would Columbia go through all that in 89' to get Columbiana mall but doesn't want Columbia Place in the city limits???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Forest Acres is in the way. It would probably be difficult to get the arc around FA and then to come back down to the Mall, I believe. I'd like to see all of unincoeporated Richland County annexed into Columbia, though. That would be awesome.

• 4 months later...

I personally have grown out of Columbia retail.......i prefer to drive to Charlotte to shop....more upscale stores, and malls that give you goosebumps when you walk in them. Basically Columbia Place used to be nice, but in the past 10 years it has changed alot in demographics, nicknamed "the ghetto mall" and has lost alot of tenants due to the migration of people further north on Two Notch Rd. many retailers around Decker/Southern Two Notch Rd. have also moved north on two notch around the Spring Valley/Clemson Road area including: Office Max, Target, Michael's, Circuit City, Stein Mart, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and a few others.....not to mention with the departure of JCPenney.........Dutch Square is just a mess, it is SC's oldest mall......and it's smaller than Sumter's mall, which is pretty sad......although it does have the only AMC theatre in Columbia..........then there's Richland....oh richland richland richland.....took the "fashion" part off the name "Richland Fashion Mall" because there simply isn't any fashion in there anymore.......after moving the food court to a much smaller area which still has half of the lots empty.......closing Victoria's Secret, Limited, the Blockbuster music store, Gloria Jeans Coffe, and several other stores, and the simple fact that Belk is smack dabb in the middle of the mall just annoys the heck outta people......i must say it does have a unique beauty to it.......it reminds me of the Atrium Mall in Boston......it just doesn't make any sense for a mall so nice not to have any regular middle class stores in it........maybe it's due to nearby Columbia Place which has most of what Richland would've had, and also Columbiana which has alot of stores familiar to the common mall lineup......I guess Columbia isn't big enough to support a 3rd location with some stores....obviously since the limited and vicky's closed there......last but not least.....Columbiana....my favorite......is the newest.....and is probably the most upscale.....although Richland Mall shouldve been more upscale......Columbiana tends to get the first location of a tenant when it first enters the Columbia Market.......Although Village at Sandhills is changing that.....Jos. A Bank has opened there, as well as a few others........

Apart from SouthPark, Charlotte offers a similar type of shopping experience to Columbia. I'm not at the level (yet) where I can shop at SouthPark on a weekly basis, so if I were living in Columbia, Columbia Place, Columbiana, the Village, and even Richland Mall would suit me just fine.

i actually shop in a variety of places, and it depends what kind of look i'm looking for. the clothes that i wear are more urban so i shop at columbia place mall. columbia has so many options that you really don't have to shop at a mall. i think columbiana mall is a good shopping mall for women, there are so many women shoe department stores there. so if i want a place to shop with a attractive women i usually shop there

• 3 months later...

That Dutch Square website- http://www.dutchsquare.com- is pretty decent for a class B or C mall- love the link to the AMC Theathres and the arhcives, though (misspellings aren't mine).

They do include a good mall map too. A pet peeve of mine is mall websites that don't have good maps or don't have a map at all!

map.gif

Archived