Favorite Columbia Mall

DigitalSky

What's your favorite Columbia Mall?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Columbia Mall?

• Columbia Place Mall
    • Columbiana Center Mall
    • Dutch Square Mall
    • Richland Mall

• 1 year later...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course not, I also go to the mall, grab a bite to eat from either Manzetti's, Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris, or other fine dining establishments in SP area, visit friends, and/or go clubbing........the only theatre I like in Columbia is Columbiana Grande off Bower Pkwy. & Sandhills is ok...i dont like the lounge in Sandhills it looks like a clown picked out the carpet and the lighting is way too bright; I'm very picky and observant about my surroundings and atmosphere has alot to do with my money spending....I also avoid theatres that dont have Cherry Coke because that is definately the drink to eat popcorn with! Thanks and goodnite :)

Fairly small. You might be tempted to compare it to Tallahassee Mall but its less exciting than that. Governor's square, imo being the best in tallahassee would sit between Columbia (Place) Mall :alc: and Columbiana Centre.

*Note Columbiana would be the better of the three just mentioned. :wub:

I do wish Columbia had Haagen Daz...too bad the one in Gov Square Closed down there. I use to go there alot with a friend and get a pint! :alc:

• 1 month later...

i used to live on berryhill rd in st. andrews and it was so convenient to have dutch sq. so close, but the only thing good about that mall in those days ('98-'00) was the movie theater ....i had to go to harbison/columbiana if i wanted options. have they done anything to revitalize that mall in the last 7 years?

• 5 months later...

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but this thread seemed pretty close. Also, I applogize in advance if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see it.

Anyway...my parents told me recently that they heard there was going to be a new mall in Lexington on 378 on the property where Corley Lumber used to be. That property has been cleared, but there are no signs or anythnig there. They said Macy's, Belk's and Dillard's are going to be anchors of the mall. This sounds like it would be pretty big news, but I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Anyone know anything?

^^^^

While it can be debated...Bush River Mall, and Decker Mall have long been dead are both prime examples of "What happens when newer trends come along". Richland Mall was always considers the "other" mall by most Columbians. The name of that mall was it's first dose of arsenic. If you are going to call yourself Richland "Fashion" Mall, have good fashion stores....lol...the 2nd and most fatal {IMO} was that it's marketing. That mall tried to market a demographic in Columbia that just wasn't that strong back then...so you can say they were ahead of their time...which lead to it's demise....and did i mention it's location sucked...the parking lot was great, but most people didn't care to use it and that corner of Forest Dr and Beltline was just too busy...Do you know how many people i've seen get into fender benders trying to turn quickly into that parking deck in attempts of going to the rooftop movie theater?

Columbia Mall aka Columbia Place has seen it's better days, but i doubt that it will close anytime soon. This mall has shown resiliency over the years [it fought with all the other area malls, Capital Center opened and it maintained, VAS opened and it's still trying] and will continue to because of it's need in that area. Most people don't like driving all the way to VAS or to Columbiana...thus equaling the crowd that goes to this mall. Decker is hurting right now and the scamper [started by Kroger] that most businesses did to position themselves to a more lucrative NE Richland market bleed to Parklane and the mall. But like i said it's resilient....the Winn Dixie moved....Marshalls and Party City opened...JC Penny's left and Burlington/Steve and Barry's came...Columbia Mall Theater closed...it came back as Phoenix Cinemas...that closed and it's Columbia Place Theater now and doing very well. And a $2 bargain theater will open later this year in the old Capital 8 Cinemas location and their is a night club still right there. Also Columbia Place won't close as long as Ft. Jackson is graduating soldiers....they stay in hotels close to shops...and Columbia Place is the most convenient for them to walk to...

I've often heard the arguments that Columbia Place and Dutch Square malls should be torn down and made into new mixed used developments like Richland is suppose to....

Richland's problem was that it was built in an area with an older, albeit wealthy, population. Older people do not shop like teenagers and young adults shop so the market just wasn't that close by. Richland was also fairly close to Columbia Mall, which was already the premiere mall in the area and then Columbiana Center opened shortly after Richland was renovated into an enclosed mall. I still love Richland Mall's "bones" and I believe it will come back someday.

• 1 year later...

Archived