I just realised...

SNWEB

I now figured out why Illitch is letting his theaters rot.

He doesn't want competition, plain and simple. Think about it.

The Fox has the big shows, and he doesnt want it at a different venue, and not many people come to downtown to the theaters for their events, so he doesnt wanna loose to that already low crowd. Thaats why is letting them sit and rot (The United Artists and Adams Theaters)

Now, why does he have his other properties? :wacko:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I've known this for years. Up until the early 1990s the UA was an useable theater. Ilitch couldn't possibly have that competing with the Fox! The same goes for the Adams. To maintain control over the downtown theater market, he didn't have much choice. I would imagine that if another downtown theater opened up, a huge chunk of the Fox's business would disappear. Downtown simply cannot support all the theaters it once had. Ilitch is a businessman, plain and simple. He is not a preservationist, and he does not care what happens to his other theaters, just as long as they do not interfere with his running of the Fox.

Ilitch owns the other buildings/parking lots to provide parking areas for the patrons of his businesses. Rumor has it that he thinks a stadium behind the Fox Theater would be a good thing, although there have obviously been no definitive plans announced. My personal feeling is that Ilitch may have given up on that particular location. He would need to aquire the newly renovated Iodent Building, which would be difficult for him to do. That is why he put up such a fuss when the Harringtons announced the project. The Iodent is the one key piece of property that he would need and simply will not be able to get. I have a hard time believing that the city would use eminent domain to take the Iodent to use as stadium land. Also, the Park Avenue Historic District is supposedly nationally recognized, which would mean that Ilitch would have a ton of hoops to jump through. A new stadium for the Red Wings on the site of Tiger Stadium is much more likely, although I would be interested to know what sorts of negative impacts such a project would have on Corktown.

Yep.  I've known this for years.  Up until the early 1990s the UA was an useable theater.  Ilitch couldn't possibly have that competing with the Fox!  The same goes for the Adams.  To maintain control over the downtown theater market, he didn't have much choice.  I would imagine that if another downtown theater opened up, a huge chunk of the Fox's business would disappear.  Downtown simply cannot support all the theaters it once had.  Ilitch is a businessman, plain and simple.  He is not a preservationist, and he does not care what happens to his other theaters, just as long as they do not interfere with his running of the Fox.

Ilitch owns the other buildings/parking lots to provide parking areas for the patrons of his businesses.  Rumor has it that he thinks a stadium behind the Fox Theater would be a good thing, although there have obviously been no definitive plans announced.  My personal feeling is that Ilitch may have given up on that particular location.  He would need to aquire the newly renovated Iodent Building, which would be difficult for him to do.  That is why he put up such a fuss when the Harringtons announced the project.  The Iodent is the one key piece of property that he would need and simply will not be able to get.  I have a hard time believing that the city would use eminent domain to take the Iodent to use as stadium land.  Also, the Park Avenue Historic District is supposedly nationally recognized, which would mean that Ilitch would have a ton of hoops to jump through.  A new stadium for the Red Wings on the site of Tiger Stadium is much more likely, although I would be interested to know what sorts of negative impacts such a project would have on Corktown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah now I know why he has the buildings,

to demolish for parking. He owns mostly all parking, and wants more. I bet that is what he will do with the UA. Heck he owns the tuller spaces.

I understand Illitch not wanting any more theater competetion although I think dowtown could support another theater. What really gets me is the absolute refusal to ANYTHING with buildings. How much parking does he really need? With UA and Adams still useable as office/lofts it makes no sense to just be squatter. If actually fixed them he have a true downtown empire.

When Ilitch purchased the Fine Arts/Adams and the UA downtown living was not popular, so I can see why he did not move to convert the buildings to new uses. However, in the past 4 years downtown living has started to become a profitable empire. Why Ilitch does not capitalize on this is beyond me.

Structurally the Fine Arts is in bad shape. There are holes in the cornice, which seems to crumble more by the week. It is a shame too, since it is one of the oldest buildings downtown, dating to 1895. It is a wood framed building, thereby lessening the chances for its renovation. Quite honestly I would be surprised to see it renovated.

As far as the UA goes....There is no reason why Ilitch can't seal the building and put on a new roof to stop the theater from being further damaged. It would make awesome condos, if you ask me. It would be really cool if the whole area around the park became the center for urban dwellers in downtowntown. If only we could get all the buildings renovated and get some decent ground floor retail built....

Archived