80 Story Highrise for Charlotte

monsoon

Will Wachovia build its 80+ Story Highrise in five years or less?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wachovia build its 80+ Story Highrise in five years or less?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, But will be longer than 5 years.
    • Never

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you on the designs. I think the crown design reminiscent of chrysler was pretty cool, but the base looked like an after-thought.

This was still considered a likely tower when i first moved to Charlotte. I remember thinking how amzing this town was to be able to build so many tall buildings in such a short time. .... I still think it is an amazing town, even without it. :).

I was just rereading an articleabout the Cornerstone building from 1999 in the BizJournal, and it said the following:

"And First Union is finalizing plans for its new tower at Third and Tryon expected to top 100 stories."

Yikes. Ed Crutchfield sure had some dreams.

I think eventually when Wach decideds to build tall, they'll build their build 10-16 stories higher than BofA Corp Center. 100 story buildings, i think, are now only for china to build with their walmart money.

If Wachovia builts higher than BofA, then I dont think their new tower would be too impressive. They have a history for not having the most impressive towers around, although not bad. BofA on the other hand has had praise for its architecture for its newer buildings. I think it would be at least a decade or more before there will be any more super tall projects built. If there is, Wachovia will be the next one to do it. BofA does not currently want to build any taller than their existing headquarters.

If Wachovia builts higher than BofA, then I dont think their new tower would be too impressive. They have a history for not having the most impressive towers around, although not bad. BofA on the other hand has had praise for its architecture for its newer buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps Wachovia didn't build the greatest buildings, but remember this is really First Union with a new name we're talking about. Wachovia/First Union One is IMO the most beautiful building Uptown. It's way more original and interesting than the BoA headquarters or Hearst Tower. A taller building that compliments the style of that building would be awesome!! :w00t: Unfortunately, it might be a while, if it happens at all.

Well, I don't know a lot about Wachovia, politic and financial things, so will Wachovia be able to build that building, I don't know.

Anyway, the building itself is really really really nice...Perhaps the only problem is it is too big for Charlotte...I just watch the renderings and it doens't fit perfectly...

But in the other hand, yeah, such a building could be great.

But it has been reported for so long, I don't think they will build it...But as I said it I don't know nohing about "financial policy" and stuffs like that, so I can't really tell...

Perhaps Wachovia didn't build the greatest buildings, but remember this is really First Union with a new name we're talking about.  Wachovia/First Union One is IMO the most beautiful building Uptown.  It's way more original and interesting than the BoA headquarters or Hearst Tower.  A taller building that compliments the style of that building would be awesome!!  :w00t:  Unfortunately, it might be a while, if it happens at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like that building too. It looks like it was modeled after the old First Union logo.

The second one look sthe best. It does look alittle like Chrystler, but it would blend in the best, and could be a counterpart of sorts to BofA. Its appropriate to have the 'crown" theme continued.

Since Sept 11, businesses seem reluctant to build tall buildings. Didn't they evacuate BofA on Sept 11?

firstunionnew.jpg

I do like both buildings, especially the second "Chrysler" looking one. I doubt we would see this project brought back off the shelf anytime soon though. Depending on various factors however I would guess we could possibly see it dusted off in ten or so years. I would doubt anything would happen with this in five years. One problem I do have with this building is that it seems so tall that it looks completely out of scale with our skyline and dwarfs too many buildings. I would like to see it scaled down to around 1000 to 1100 feet. I think it would bring more to the skyline as a whole that way. Going too high with this building makes buildings like Charlotte Plaza look non-existent.

are you sure you arent thinking of the arboretum logo or the old coliseum. i forget which it was, could be something different but it looks like a leaf of somesort and it fans out like the top of that building. it used to be all around charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may all just be in my head, but I couldn't have gotten it from any other locations in Charlotte. I have only lived here for 6 months and before that had never seen the First Union tower, but I have had a First Union account since 1996 and ever since the first time I looked at the building, something went off in my head about the design. Oh well! :blink:

It may all just be in my head, but I couldn't have gotten it from any other locations in Charlotte. I have only lived here for 6 months and before that had never seen the First Union tower, but I have had a First Union account since 1996 and ever since the first time I looked at the building, something went off in my head about the design. Oh well!  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The old First Union logo was just a green block with First Union at an angle.

Sounds to me like you are describing the Carolinas Medical Center logo.

chslogo_topleft.gif

Wasn't this building used in First Union's ad campaign a few years ago?  It was an ad campaign that showed a fantasy skyline and I think this building was the main building in the center of the skyline with shorter building "accessorizing" it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It hit me this morning on my way into school as I was staring at the building! It must have been on some of their promotional materials they like so much to send with your monthly statement. So, I HAD seen the building before I actually saw it in person. I'm sure for a while they used it a lot in their promotional materials. I don't know why I was thinking they borrowed the actual design elements of the building for their graphics. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I thought that same thing! The same architect that designed RSA is designing Wachovia's new tower aren't they? With the new tower being 34 floors and RSA being only (I forget but 30ish) why can't Wachovia's tower be just as tall. Anyway, it's cost, I'm sure. I would still like Wachovia to build a signature tower. Something to rival BofA and Hearst. I want to see Wachovia try to take back the 2nd tallest title.

Archived