80 Story Highrise for Charlotte

monsoon

Will Wachovia build its 80+ Story Highrise in five years or less?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wachovia build its 80+ Story Highrise in five years or less?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, But will be longer than 5 years.
    • Never

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was originally planned for 2-3 blocks north of what is shown there. Appatone put it in that location, as it is the site of the currently planned wachovia building. There is also a lot more available Tryon Street land at that end, although 300 S Tryon lot is still vacant.

I believe it was originally planned to replace the old 1 fu/wachovia, but that is no longer an option, as it is being renovated now.

I agree that it would look good more toward the center, but Wachovia has almost a campus effect by clustering all its building at that end of town. Now, the exception to that would be if they go on church near the 3rd ward park, as there are many sites there that could put it closer to the center of the n-s skyline. Even though their current hq building is off tryon, i somehow doubt they would ever build on poplar, mint or graham.

I think being in the top 10 tallest towers is being a supertower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, your right. For Charlotte that would be a supertower. If the Wachovia building was built in the center of city at 80 stories I think it would fit in well. I don't think it would look to tall, but just right.

If Charlotte were to have 10 80 plus towers I would hope they would all be unique as well. Would u rather have 10 unique 30 or 40 story towers...or 10 unique 80 story towers positioned perfectly in the center of the city? lets get a vote!!

I think the key will be how long the economy can hold together...

Could the cost of gasoline and the rapidly maturing core of Charlotte also play a role?

Could Charlotte's new residential, amenity, office-rich core actually attract MORE new business?

If a mjor downturn doesn't come in 2005 or early 2006...

If the downtown residential market remains strong...

If more retailers come downtown...

...a new tallest in Charlotte could be in order by the end of the decade.

When residential and other uses start being added in nearby first ward (5th and 6th streets) and second ward, i wonder if Court Arcade will be as popular as Latta Arcade.  It looks almost the same, and appears to be from roughly the same time period, but Court Arcade is so dead-looking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a pic of the Court Arcade on E. Trade by Alexander/Myers that I was referring to:

18266817-L.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some musings from Doug Smith on what happened to the original plans to put an 84 story tower at this location and the prospects for one in the future. It's interesting the demand, according to Smith, for downtown condos remains high and he expects the next big announcement to be residential related instead of commercial.

He seems to think however that Wachovia may build a 40-50 story project in 2008.

Some musings from Doug Smith on what happened to the original plans to put an 84 story tower at this location and the prospects for one in the future. It's interesting the demand, according to Smith, for downtown condos remains high and he expects the next big announcement to be residential related instead of commercial.

He seems to think however that Wachovia may build a 40-50 story project in 2008.

Wachovia is building a new tower. That's news. hahaha

Seriously, I was kind of surprised reading this article. What happened to the idea of if the the vacancy rate is lower than 10% it tends to bring on new construction. Ours is like 6% isn't it. Doesn't add up. I hope there are more Wachovia and Bofa plans in the near future, because i don't think that there will be too many more Residential plans. Just my opinion, but i think downtown will get a little oversaturated with residential towers.

What happened to the idea of if the the vacancy rate is lower than 10% it tends to bring on new construction. Ours is like 6% isn't it. Doesn't add up.

Adding a 40-45 story tower to a market with the marginal depth of a secondary market like the Charlotte CBD IS adding a lot of new Class A space to the inventory. Sure it's 6% now, but it only takes one large lease rollover of 50,000-100,000 sf or more and suddenly that rate could be over 10%. It's smart to show restraint in building. Look to Atlanta for the opposite approach and you'll understand why they chronically have one of the highest vacancy rates in the U.S.

I voted no on the poll... Saw that article in the Clt Observer yesterday about the next tall tower in uptown. I agree with the writer that it seems like the number of tall office towers may have peaked for a while, and the next era will be tall condo towers like the Vue and Epicenter.

I think an 80 story office tower would look fine in the skyline, as long as is at least 3 blocks from BofA CC. There is sufficient density on the southern side that Wachovia could have gone to 80 stories and it would look fine.

The reality is, that there isn't enough demand to justify the high construction costs. Also, there is considerably more cost and risk with a tower that tall in the post 9-11 world, where the engineering must account for better evacuation and safety than imagined necessary before.

As Wachovia doesn't seem to be doing even 50 stories with their First Street project, I now doubt this will happen this decade.

I also doubt residential towers will go much taller than 50 stories.

I think Charlotte needs more 40-60 story towers before getting an 80 story tower. If they built one now it would stand out like a sore thumb. Also Charlotte needs a wider skyline for such a tall tower so it will look balanced. Charlotte's skyline is pretty compact.

Although I know that my idea would not fly (first and foremost because of zoning issues)... It would really crack me up if someone threw up a nice 80 story residential tower in South Charlotte. I'm thinking that the Giverny neighborhood, Glen Eagles, or Providence Country Club would be a great spot for a huge 80 story residential tower. Just imagine the uproar from all the suburbanites... it'd be quite entertaining.

Maybe Dee Dee's hole that was earmarked for Sak's could support a massive tower.

Archived