A Social Function -- a thread unto itself...

JaxInvestor

Let's get the ball rolling here...

Urban will be in for Christmas...we will all be with families, then of course, but I know it would be nice to break away from the family for a few hours. How about a Sunday night or Monday night deal? Just get together for a few drinks and snacks. Maybe even a MNF game.

These nights sound good to you? And your suggestions for locations?

--------------------------------------

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

How about everyone meeting at this event and participating.

Workshop: Southbank strategy

by J. Brooks Terry

Staff Writer

City Council member Suzanne Jenkins wants your input as development strategies on the Southbank continue to take shape. Organized by Jenkins and non-profit group JaxPride, a workshop involving property owners, business partners and residents will take place at the Radisson from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturday.

Billed as a

I'm planning to attend, at least the morning portion of the workshop. Although I haven't spent much time, looking at what type of things would improve the Southbank, here's a couple that have crossed my mind.

Park Space

Downtown, in general, does have any parks with children's playground equipment, other than Kids Campus. This will become an important part of the urban environment, as more housing comes on line. This could easily be solved in the future by adding children's playground equipment to Treaty Oak Park and Friendship Park.

Riverplace Boulevard.

Very simple. I think this street and the Southbank's atmosphere, in general, would be improved, if the city reduced it to a two lane road with parallel parking on both sides.

I'm planning to attend, at least the morning portion of the workshop.  Although I haven't spent much time, looking at what type of things would improve the Southbank, here's a couple that have crossed my mind.

Park Space

Downtown, in general, doesn't have any parks with children's playground equipment, other than Kids Campus.  This will become an important part of the urban environment, as more housing comes on line.  This could easily be solved in the future by adding children's playground equipment to Treaty Oak Park and Friendship Park.

[

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree totally that Downtown needs a kid-oriented attraction somewhere. Chattanooga has an antique Merry-Go-Round coupled with a water fountain that kids can play in. It is part of a riverfront park that is adjacent to their Aquarium (another kid magnet). The area is well used every weekend.

If a kid gets it in his head to do something, the parents will taken them there.

P.S. Before someone accuses me of wanting to make downtown Jax another Disneyland, that is NOT my intention at all. This would only be one component of many to draw everyone to downtown.

i just RSVP'd, so i'll be there. i'm a little worried that it might get a tad boring after 7 hours ... but i suppose one can leave if it gets too bad.

there's a free box lunch at any rate ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't plan on sticking around longer than 1:00 or so. It may seem, like I'm there to eat a free lunch and leave, but I still have some things I have to take care of tomorrow. Anyway, it should be interesting.

You know, on the topic of park space, carousels, and the Southbank, I'd like to see them rip out that old mechanical building at Friendship Fountain, and install a carousel. It'd be the perfect fit, and it's right next to the museum.

Also, I can see Riverplace Blvd becoming the gateway/destination street for the southbank. Alot of new projects are being built alongside it, and existing buildings could remove some shrubs and interact with that street, if it was narrower.

I'm not getting my hopes up though. Downtown Delray Beach did a charette thingee and they've accomplished little on the PDF agenda I read. Not t sound to demanding, but I like to the action!

Archived