Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruso

Planned from the beggining

Unfortunatelly, with no much knowledge about it, I would like to know how many cities have been planned and designed before being constucted. By that I mean, planned as actual cities, not towns or communities. I know that Brazil's capital is one case, as well as San Petersburg in Russia. Yet, if anyone can help me there...please do :ph34r:

Washington, DC and Columbia, SC and Savannah, GA come to mind. There arent too many of these cities out there though.

I think most cities start out planned... it's just that sprawl eventually overtakes it.

Seaside, FL is a master planned "town" in the Florida panhandle.

You could make a case for NYC's planned grid that was layed out years before development began north of downtown.

Good, and after checking, it seems as if the United Arab Emirates are making the 8th wonder by constructing a huge city island... Interesting right?

Canberra, capital of Australia.

Initially planned in 1912 (up until then the region had been sheep paddocks), as a city of around 100,000.

The population is now 300,000, and several satellite towns have been added since the 1960s (seperated from the original planned area by hilly nature reserves). These satellite towns, as well as the overall "shape" of the metropolitan areas, are also highly planned compared to other Australian cities.

Detroit was planned after the fire of 1806 that destroyed the entire city. The plan consisted of radial streets and circles, much like the plan of Washington, D.C. However, the survey instruments they used were really inaccurate, and the plan quickly became too costly and complicated to implement.

1806 Plan

03052.JPG

Plan as Built

downtdet.gif

1930s Downtown

parkaerial.gif

Brasilia, Brasil's capital, was planned and construted during the mid 20th century. Much of the nation's capital was spent for its constrution, reflecting how rich, but badly distributed is the brasilian society

I heard that Brasilia was pretty much a flop. The designer's got too carried away with thier sybolism and forgot about practicality.

South Korea decided this year that it was going to build a new capital, so be on thelook out for info on that one. It won't be built for a while though.

I have not been in Brasilia, they say it is beatifull. But, I would have to check about how "efficient" it is as a city.