Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urbanguy

Growing need for mass transit on Maui

8 posts in this topic

Adding to the number of buses and route would remedy the problem for a little, but then it simply cannot be used again and again. Some other form of transportation like light rail and subway could be used to convey ppl more effciently, but it does cost alot; it could come in handy when there's dense development and hordes of ppl.

^I think eventually they should consider it but as you had mentioned it is costly and well right now the population is still to small to have light rail or a subway.

No not yet but the new mayor is all for rail in Honolulu. Of course back in the day there were trains and so on but those days are over unfortunately. Although there are a couple area's that have trains they are not used for public transportation. There's also a mono-rail for one of the largest malls and there's also an approved plan for light rail downtown from future lofts along Honolulu harbor's waterfront to downtown and chinatown but that will be years from now. =(

I saw a proposal for a plan for a light rail line from Peral Harbor to somewhere north (I forgot) one on the internet and it was like 35 km long and cost billions. :cry: Too bad I forgot the website where the proposal was, so try searching google for Maui light rail proposals.

^Hopefully something will be built soon well atleast in Honolulu. Most of tourists here tend to stay in Waikiki so they just walk while, bike or use a scooter while others that venture out usually rent a car, ride the city bus, use the trolley, or tour bus.